RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Detailing & Car Cleaning > Quick and Easy Detailing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Violetpiano

United Kingdom 
Quick and Easy Detailing

I hopefully take delivery of my new RSS just before Christmas and will be handing it over to Michael at Gemclean for a Gtechniq Crystal Serum treatment.

But as I have not owned a car for several years, I would like to drive it around for a couple of months before Michael does his magic but want my car to look its best. Therefore, it seems a bit pointless getting a clay bar out and spending hours on it. So does anybody have any suggestions on how the get the best results for very little effort?

In the past for quick results I have used Meguiers NXT Generation Car Wash and their Ultimate Quick Wax or Quick Wax (especially during the winter because it can be used even if the surface isn’t completely dry). As detailing products change frequently, any suggestions on anything better and easier to use than these Meguiers products?

Thanks

Post #442578 Fri Nov 14 2014 5:07pm
Ian.H

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Java Black

My preference:

Wash (2bm): ONR (Optimum No Rinse). 1 panel at a time.. nice and easy.

Quick detail spray: Sonax Xtreme Brilliant Shine Detailer hydrophobic properties of this stuff is insane, acts more like a sealant.

Some find it a bit "grabby".. so you could wipe it over after with something like FK #425.

I apply the Sonax XBS when it's wet, helps prevent streaking IMO.

Cheers..

Ian

EDIT: Here's a short video I made of the Sonax XBS repelling water https://cloud.digihub.eu/public.php?servic...0b0a0c01dc

Last edited by Ian.H on Fri Nov 14 2014 5:20pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #442579 Fri Nov 14 2014 5:16pm
Beancounter_74

England 

Do you have a pressure washer?

If so, get yourself a foam lance, some snow foam (you can use normal car shampoo) and a couple of buckets and a wash mitt, not a sponge. By giving the car a pre soak and jet spray before washing using two buckets (one soapy, one water -put the mitt in the soapy > then to the car > then rinse in the water > then put in soapy before returning it to the car.....) you will reduce the amount of damage inflicted from normal washing significantly.

Then dry with a decent fluffy microfiber. Wink

Finally, go round the car with something like:

Artdeshines - Nano Gloss Paint Sealent or Sonax's Brilliant Shine Detailer. Both of these a dead easy to apply and will make your paint shine and also easier to clean as both contain a decent amount of protection Thumbs Up

Happy to supply links to the products if needed, none of which which will break the bank Smile ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #442580 Fri Nov 14 2014 5:17pm
SRE

Spain 

I think €5 down the local car wash is good enough for my car, also, if you look close you will spot BC in his pink lycra outfit Rolling with laughter
 In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #442583 Fri Nov 14 2014 5:52pm
SRE

Spain 

Now, BC, what was all that about a foam lance Whistle In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #442584 Fri Nov 14 2014 5:53pm
Beancounter_74

England 

One of these old boy Thumbs Up

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-..._1296.html ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i

GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )

Post #442613 Sat Nov 15 2014 1:36am
Beancounter_74

England 

Forget that link, just bought myself a foam lance and angled lance off eBay for £30 delivered. They'll fit whatever attachment you need for your pressure washer. Cool Thumbs Up

Linky to eBay ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i

Post #442822 Mon Nov 17 2014 1:53pm
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

Thanks Beancounter_74 Thumbs Up

Jas Current RRS: MY18 SVR
Previous RRS: MY15 RRS 5.0L Autobiography

Post #442823 Mon Nov 17 2014 2:03pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Jas,

I am not into detailing, evident from the fact that by the time I got my car detailed (my first ever detailing experience) and uploaded the pictures to my gallery, I was too bored to actually bother creating a thread with those photos. That was over 2 months ago Rolling Eyes

I only decided to get "protection detail" because the paintwork is in really good condition and I wanted to keep it that way after winter, which involves a trip to the Alps. I got quotes from "proper" detailing places (including Topaz) but the prices were too high for my liking (I am new to this as I said) and I lost all interest. That was until I saw a guy detailing my freind's M3 on his driveway. After seeing the final result, I decided to ask him to do my car. He quoted me a very good price for the size of the car. OK he doesn't have a purpose-built detailing studio and doesn't use the most expensive products (although I saw Meguiars, Gtechniq etc. being used which are decent quality?) but that was more than reflected in the price and I think he did a very good job. I am no expert so you can see the pictures in this album and decide for yourself if it is any good.

PM me if you are interested and I will contact him to check if he is still active as he told me he does it part-time/weekends only and has another 9-5 Mon-Fri job. He is based in West London and covers North London too but might be happy to travel further or you can go to him.

For washing, I take it to a place in West London. They use snowfoam, clean (woollen?) mitts, 2 bucket method, non-acidic wheel cleaner etc., spend a lot of time and charge only £10 for exterior and another £4 if you include the interior too. Excellent value for money I believe. I have never taken a car elsewhere since discovering these guys. PM me if you want location/address. They have a detailing studio as well but I have no idea about quality/prices.

I understand you were probably after DIY advice but I thought I'd reply anyway ... and invite the wrath of hardcore detailing/cleaning experts by suggesting cheap alternatives Laughing It all depends on how far you want to go Thumbs Up Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #442853 Mon Nov 17 2014 7:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1