RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Advice Needed on what to buy......
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

marcoos_1

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
Advice Needed on what to buy......

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and if possible I would like to get some opinions from those of you that have all the experience. I know posts like this one can be dangerous and start long and detailed debates (which sometimes turn into arguments Laughing ), but my dilemma is this:

I have had several vogues, including TD6, 4.4V8 (and I currently have an 06 Vogue SC) and am now considering a RRS, mainly for my wife but I'll use it too. My budget is £15-20k, with some flexibility if the right car comes along. My TD6 Vogue annoyed the hell out of me as it was noisy and underpowered. The SC Vogue with the 4.2 is awesome, smooth and thirsty! So........which engine would you recommend for a Sport? TDV6 (is it powerful enough?), 4.4V8 (with LPG?) or the TDV8 (I hear horror stories of "turbos that will definitely blow" and things like that.

I'm very interested to see what the thoughts and experiences of the community are...... Bow down

Any advice on how to buy well and avoid known pitfalls would be most welcome.

There we go.....flood gates open......

Post #441483 Tue Nov 04 2014 6:41pm
crammy

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Stornoway Grey

Hi mate

get the 4.2 supercharged in the sport. Pulls like a train and really smooth. Like your vogue its thirsty though.

I was originally going to get the 3.6 tdv8 ut was put off with the turbo horror stories and dpf issues with low millage use so opted for the petrol.

Post #441502 Tue Nov 04 2014 9:54pm
andynpz

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

IMHO TDV6 is powerful enough, albeit a little sudden off the line if you hoof it - like most turbos

Commendably quiet and smooth at speed and good grunt at 70 mph (2000rpm) for overtaking.

Cheers, Andy 2011 TDV6 HSE Stornoway grey, ivory trim

Life's too short to drive an ugly car.

Post #441503 Tue Nov 04 2014 9:59pm
myfirstrrs

United Kingdom 

and I love everything about my TDV8, no turbo problems, fantastic performance and pretty good economy.

Three replies and three different engines reccomended, there's your answer I'm afraid. It will come down to your priorities and then what car comes up.

Post #441524 Tue Nov 04 2014 11:41pm
marcoos_1

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Thanks for the info guys.....interesting to see the different views. I know there'd be no clear cut answer..

Does anyone have an opinion on the 4.4V8 in the sport?? I had been offered a really low mileage one with LPG. I know from my FFRR past that the BMW engine is good on the LPG (as opposed to the valve seat issues on the SC).

Post #441770 Thu Nov 06 2014 8:39pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

The TDV6 isn't powerful enough out the box, but this can be resolved with a remap, and a few go faster bits.
My own TDV6 is running around 260bhp, from a standard 190bhp

The TDV8 is a great engine, let down by turbo issues. Pro-active maintenance may help prevent any future failures

The 4.4 V8 is a reasonably good engine. No major issues, though lambda sensors can be problematic. A whole lot less to go wrong than the Diesel engines. Not as quick as 300bhp would suggest though. VSR is still an issue on the 4.4, though not as much on common as the SC

4.2 SC is thirsty! Again, no major issues... Aux water pump can cause performance issues

Post #441779 Thu Nov 06 2014 10:02pm
mark.b

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

ive a TDV8 and not had a turbo blow you will always hear the horror stories just buy a non modded car look at the service book any discrepancy WALK AWAY if it has budget tyres you know the car is kept on a budget BEWARE everything else could have been done on a budget too also i would never buy a car that has been MOTd at the garage selling it

Post #441876 Fri Nov 07 2014 7:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1