Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > land rover security announcement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

viper

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue
land rover security announcement

RANGE ROVER KEYLESS VEHICLE ENTRY CONCERNS

This is an extremely serious issue for the automotive industry. At Jaguar Land Rover, we have been working closely with the Metropolitan Police and other forces across the country which has resulted in a number of prosecutions to date. This is an industry-wide issue, as European legislation mandates all vehicle manufacturers make available information about their diagnostic systems, including any security updates.

Jaguar Land Rover has a dedicated engineering team continuously developing new technologies to try to stay one step ahead of criminal gangs. In addition, we work closely with vehicle security experts Thatcham Research, who, in turn, work on behalf of the UK insurance industry. The ABI (Association of British Insurers) has confirmed that insurance for our vehicles is widely available.

Any Jaguar Land Rover customers concerned about the security of their vehicle should contact their local Retailer or the Customer Relationship Team on 0370 5000 500 for advice on how best to keep their car secure.

nothing new there then Censored Banging Head 2016 bmw x5 40d m-sport space grey
2015 bmw 335i m-sport touring mineral grey/coral interior looking to change again .
Gone HSE SDV6 Dynamic indus silver, santorini contrast roof,panoramic roof,red brakes,privacy,climate front seats,tow bar great car enjoyed it ����
Gone my10 3.0 tdv6 Bali blue/ivory 5 years 24k no problems great car will be missed

Post #441187 Sun Nov 02 2014 9:31am
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

That's the promised update then? Rolling with laughter 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #441190 Sun Nov 02 2014 9:41am
DrLex

Iceland 

One could always try a third party electronic solution, being developed by a sponsor on the sister website.

Post #441211 Sun Nov 02 2014 12:01pm
BoldlyGo

United Kingdom 

Any thoughts on whether this is the way forward, I know it's a bit retro, but if it protects my asset then it might be worth a look.. An insurance companies might warm to the deadlock idea based upon their requirements for house insurance.

http://www.ccs-ltd.biz/cm/deadlocks.html

I'm not confident that improvement in software solves the issue, it just delays it until some smart Grad unravels the algorithm and then the problem returns.

Just playing with ideas on a damp Sunday morning.....

But the longer time it takes to gain entry could put off the Crims and move them onto the next victim. Could always stick a false lock key cover on the car Thumbs Up P400e HSE Portofino Blue and Ivory Seats.. it's like a yacht!!
Lexus traded in ..a total piece of crap
Boldly now acquired - a Lexus RX 450hL
BoldlyGone...Sep 15 MY16 RRS SDV6, HSE, Barolo Black, Espresso/Almond interior.. Best car ever & Drop dead gorgeous... sadly with fuel dilution headaches that became intolerable
Arrived 2014. Oct - Lemoned March 2015- RRS SDV6 HSE
Boldly Gone = Sold for 14k via Pistonheads - 2006 TDV6 SE Buck Blue/Almond int

Post #441217 Sun Nov 02 2014 12:18pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Deadlocks are not going to work because the issue is not one of the doors being locked. Jam the (say) 433 Mhz signal from the key and the user walks away thinking their car is locked even when it's not. Even if it is, smash the window, get to the OBD port, program the key and then use the newly programmed key to unlock the car and silence the alarm.

I've described here, until I am blue in the face, how to sort it. My career was based on sorting difficult stuff like this. The key is to require the user/owner of the car to authenticate the download and key program. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #441235 Sun Nov 02 2014 2:03pm
Disco

United Kingdom 

Before I walk away from the car I listen for the double lock sounds from the locks themselves also if locked the mirrors fold.

I have now got an additional immobiliser and OBD disable fitted.

Yes I have modified a Brand new car, but it will more than likely be where I left it.

Not going to wait for JLR to look at this so went my own way.

Post #441243 Sun Nov 02 2014 2:55pm
Nowaytk

England 

Have to agree with mark on this one " The key is to require the user/owner of the car to authenticate the download and key program ", I only hope it wouldn't contribute to a rise in aggregated vehicle thefts 2015 HSE SDV6 Scotia Grey, ebony / lunar, colour coded, deployable steps, TV, sliding pano and a few other bits. Now gone
2018 Velar R-Dynamic HSE sdv6 silicon silver

Post #441246 Sun Nov 02 2014 3:16pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Good for you Disco, in the absence of LR doing anything useful beyond issuing announcements which have been checked by the lawyers to make sure they're not creating a hole for themselves, that's pretty much all you can do.

Of course, no matter how well you secure the car, there will always be the possibility of threats against the owner. In that case, it's surely better to just hand the keys over. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #441247 Sun Nov 02 2014 3:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1