RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > InControl Secure - Tracker
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

bruntyy

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black
InControl Secure - Tracker

Hi Guys,

Im receiving my car on monday, and of course the insurance are asking for a tracker!!

I ordered the InControl Secure feature and cant seem to find out if this is a tracker or not!!

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

Post #441070 Fri Oct 31 2014 9:39pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

It is a tracking device, yes. Will alert you to an attempted theft and show you where the vehicle is. Whether the insurance company recognises it as good/safe/reliable/etc as a device from Tracker/Cobra/etc is a different matter. 

Post #441074 Fri Oct 31 2014 10:15pm
bruntyy

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Thanks for the reply!! Does it have a thacham category? and im guessing its GPS?

If someone did try and steal the car, would they ring me same as normal trackers? and liaise with the police?

Thanks Smile

Post #441075 Fri Oct 31 2014 10:18pm
Salmon&permit

England 

I was expecting delivery of a new SDV6 Hybrid this week, but it seems to have been delayed. Also went for the InControl system. Have been told by garage that it is Thatcham Cat 5 - but read somewhere else it is only Cat 6. This is pretty important as no one will insure an RRS in London without a Cat 5 tracker. I asked the dealership to double check and there has been radio silence since.

After all the publicity in the past week, culminating in the BBC 1 programme last night (which I thought Land Rover got off very lightly in) I am no less concerned than I was 3 months ago after my first one had been stolen. I am far from convinced that JLR are properly acknowledging the problem. As a percentage of London sales, their product has been massively targeted.....while all cars attract thieves, their product is woefully easy to pinch and to just continue rolling out the 'all luxury cars are stolen from time to time' line is an insult to all of us who have forked out the cash to buy one and who are aware of the scale of the problem.

Post #441085 Fri Oct 31 2014 11:36pm
Salmon&permit

England 

Just had a quick look at the Evoque forum - the InControl might be different for the RRS, but in their discussions, everyone refers to it as a Cat 6 system, which is not good enough for most insurers now so many have been stolen and certainly not for those of us who live in Central London. Can it really be right for a car company to sell cars that can only be insured if one buys after market accessories?

Post #441087 Fri Oct 31 2014 11:42pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Absolutely agree with you. As far as I know, InControl Secure is a Cat 6, not a Cat 5. While they are similar in tracking capabilities, a Cat 5 users a separate fob which has to be in the car. That way, the tracking company is alerted immediately if the car is driven without it, including after a key cloning. As I have written on the other thread, upgrading to Cat 5 is something LR should be doing as a priority.

What they cannot continue to do is ignore what is a serious problem, and the longer they sit there with their heads in the sand, the greater the eventual cost and effort of sorting it out. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #441088 Fri Oct 31 2014 11:44pm
bruntyy

I totally agree, why produce a accessory that they fully well know, does sweet FA!

I have been told by my insurer that i need a GPS tracking device, surely this has to be GPS? but there has to be some documentation on this??

The issue about them being stolen is crazy!!!!

Anyone know any good GAP insurers? Defiantly a must!!!

Post #441089 Fri Oct 31 2014 11:46pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

I'd like to think InControl Secure is a GPS based tracking device in this day and age. Older generation tracking devices were not but now that GPS is much more widely used - the car after all knows where it is at any time - it should surely use GPS. Whether it uses the same GPS receiver as the SatNav, I do not know. You wouldn't want to kill the tracking by smashing the roof-top antenna.

Overall, it's a mess. Mark

Post #441091 Fri Oct 31 2014 11:52pm
dragon007

United Kingdom 

Salmon......
Did you find out whether it was 5 or 6?
Assume you've had delivery now? If so, how did you resolve with insurance? Did you get a cat 5 installed from a third party supplier?

Cheers

Post #449235 Wed Jan 21 2015 2:27pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

I think it's Cat 6 which is as I understand it the same as Cat 5 but without the separate dongle. Mark

Post #449237 Wed Jan 21 2015 2:37pm
Salmon&permit

England 

It was the worse of the two, so Cat 6. I persuaded JLR to foot the bill of a Cat 5 system,, which they had installed by a third party......it was delivered with it installed.....I refused to pick it up in an uninsurable state.

I continue to put a wheel lock on every night.....wandering around the streets of London, most owners have resorted to 'physical' measures in addition to whatever electronic systems they have installed.

Post #449241 Wed Jan 21 2015 2:57pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

When you say you persuaded JLR to install it, was this HLR themselves or the dealer?

I assume you are only paying one tracking subscription. What have they done with the InControl, disabled it? Mark

Post #449252 Wed Jan 21 2015 3:59pm
Salmon&permit

England 

I paid the the Incontrol subscription, they paid for the tracker one.....so both installed and working! The dealership agreed the deal....but possibly under pressure from JLR HQ as I was dealing with them at the same time and the dealership were not initially forthcoming.

Post #449287 Wed Jan 21 2015 7:00pm
CRC@LandRover

United Kingdom 

Hi All,

Just wanted to clear up a number of things on this matter.

I can confirm that the InControl Secure system is Thatcham Category 6. It is also a GPS tracking system and is recognised by the majority of the major UK insurers.

Land Rover InControl™ Secure provides a Thatcham compliant European-wide stolen vehicle tracking solution.
A theft notification is automatically triggered if an attempt is made to break in to your vehicle or can be made directly from the InControl Remote Smartphone App in the event of your vehicle being stolen with the keys.

In the event of:
– Someone attempting to break in to your Land Rover
– Your vehicle being towed away with the ignition off
– Your alarm sounding for more than 30 seconds
– Attempted GSM jamming.

The owner will receive theft notification from the InControl Secure Monitoring Centre in order to verify the status of the vehicle.

Many thanks,
Pete Please note although Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any technical advice. This account is available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. Outside of this time if you require assistance, please drop us a Private Message and we'll get back to you.

Post #449464 Fri Jan 23 2015 11:31am
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Weasel words and the company line. Sorry, it doesn't wash.

Land Rover are being unbelievably stupid by not installing a Cat 5 Tracker which requires a separate authentication fob in the car in addition to the key. If the key is cloned, and the car is driven away, the alarm is immediately raised because there is no fob.

With a Cat 6 Tracker, there is no requirement for a separate fob so that the car can be driven to the other side of Europe by the time the owner finds out it's gone.

I think InControl Secure is likely a trumped-up worthless piece of junk because, in the context of the actual thefts occurring, it's not protecting the car.

The sooner LR upgrade ICS to Cat 5 - and hopefully free of charge for existing users - the better. Tell us Pete, is an upgrade to Cat 5 in the product plan?

So, assuming we need a Cat 5 tracker, what make are people going for. The systems in my 911s are Cobra and it works very well. Mark

Post #449474 Fri Jan 23 2015 2:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>