RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Faults & Fixes > Battery Problems - Please Help !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Lewis-Oddie

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
Battery Problems - Please Help !

Morning All.

I am hoping somebody may be able to shed some light on an issue that I'm having. Over the last few weeks the car has started to become sluggish when starting. Car is a 2006 (55) RRS HSE 2.7 TDV6. It first started a few weeks ago, turned the car over first thing in the morning and the battery light flickered as it turned over. Over the next few days it go gradually worse and eventually started to fail on the first turn of the day. I used to sat nav screen to check the battery voltage and most mornings it was showing 11.5 - 11.0V. New battery required you would think...

So I ordered a new battery, 100AH and 900CCA. Arrived yesterday after work so fitted it straight away. Before I turned it over for the first time I checked the battery voltage, it was showing 11.5v!! That's with the ignition turned on but the car not started. When the car turns over the voltage jumps up to 14.0 - 14.5v. The place where I got the battery from said it was tested the day before I received it and was definitely 12.6V.

Is something causing a drain on the battery? Last night I checked the upper tailgate release switch after reading that can become corroded and cause a drain but that is in perfect condition, no corroding at all.

One more thing. This morning before staring the car I just turned the nav on with no ignition and the battery was showing 12v, as soon as I put the key in and turned the ignition on, it dropped down to 11v. Is this normal?

Any ideas?

Post #440237 Thu Oct 23 2014 7:01am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Have you had your alternator checked?

Post #440242 Thu Oct 23 2014 7:55am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lewis-Oddie

Thanks for reply. No, haven't had it checked as I assumed the alternator must be working fine because it shows the battery voltage as being 14v when running?

Post #440245 Thu Oct 23 2014 8:13am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Temperamental things these range rover sports when it come to the electrics. Whistle Might be worth visiting a local garage and getting both the battery and alternator checked again. Wink They might be able to pick up on a voltage drop too. Thumbs Up

Post #440249 Thu Oct 23 2014 8:24am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

I've often wondered but do theses engines use any form of glow plug or heater during startup ?. On mine, if i start after it has been in its nice warm garage all night it turns over almost immediatly. If it has been standing out all night it may take 5 sec's or more before it will begin to turn over after pressing the start button. During this time there is a "heater" icon of sorts ( amber coil ) displayed on the dash.
if this is the case then this could be the cause of your voltdrop during startup, as you say as soon as you turn the key on does this not begin the "pre warm up " if it exists. ???

I'm sure someone can clarify 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #440256 Thu Oct 23 2014 9:15am
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

"do theses engines use any form of glow plug or heater during startup ?"

Yes they do. You should turn the key to the first position and wait until the glowplug icon on the dash goes out (its the one that looks like a coiled filament) before starting the engine.

The OP should really invest in a multimeter and use that to measure battery voltage. The voltage displayed on the sat nav screen is not accurate. Can also use the multimeter to measure any current drain - just connect it in series with the positive battery terminal with the car in sleep mode.

It would have been a good idea to fully charge the new battery with a decent smart charger before using it. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #440266 Thu Oct 23 2014 12:05pm
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

Are you checking the voltage at the battery terminals? - some circuits run on a stabilised supply which is less.

Post #440272 Thu Oct 23 2014 1:18pm
Lewis-Oddie

Ok so i've just been and purchased a multimeter and first tested the old battery which I replaced, that is showing 12.7 volts despite not being on the car since yesterday. The new battery is showing 12.4-12.5 and 14.4 when running so obviously i've mis diagnosed the fault and purchased a batter for no apparent reason!

Any ideas as to what it could be now? Most mornings it has struggled to start and has either started with the aid of some extra gas, flickered the battery last as it started or just failed full stop.

Could it be faulty glow plug (s) ?

Post #440281 Thu Oct 23 2014 3:41pm
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

Is it spinning the engine as normal or is it slower and sluggish to turnover? -check all terminals to/from starter, battery etc. especially all earth straps

If engine is spinning OK but not immediately firing it could be glow plugs or injection pressure leaking down while parked.

Post #440293 Thu Oct 23 2014 5:43pm
Dan Stevens

Australia 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Zermatt Silver

could also be the starter motor on its way out.

Post #440321 Fri Oct 24 2014 3:42am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1