RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > drain, flush and replace coolant tdv6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

tanloverluke

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
drain, flush and replace coolant tdv6

I'm considering draining and replacing the coolant. The service manual clearly describes the process for draining. First question is, does disconnecting the radiator hose on a tdv6 2.7 do enough to completely drain the coolant? If not can anyone suggest additional measures?

Next thing is flushing. I would like to do a flush but I can't find a procedure for this. Can anyone here impart their expertise, please?

Many thanks! Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.
DONE: Meduza front bumper, AB rear bumper, AB tailpipes, calipers repainted, rear upper tailgate upgrade, side steps, AB front grille, AB side vents, rear LED lights, clear side repeaters, integrated daytime running lights, LED headlights.
TO DO: color code sills and pillars.

Post #439770 Sat Oct 18 2014 8:42am
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Hi, when I renewed the coolant on my TDV8 it wasn't possible to completely drain the system; I measured the volume drained and it was a litre or two less than the full fill figure quoted in the manual. To avoid any compatibility issues I bought the coolant from the local stealer.

Traditional way of flushing the radiator is to disconnect the top and bottom hoses and connect a garden hose to the outlet hose and 'reverse flush'. Unless you have a problem with overheating it probably isn't necessary to flush the system. Just refill using de-ionised water to mix the coolant.

A job worth doing - the old coolant is bound to have lost a lot of its ant-corrosion properties so you might be saving yourself from a heap of trouble in future Thumbs Up 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #440004 Mon Oct 20 2014 2:07pm
tanloverluke

Thanks Paddi. I was reading your post and for the TDV8 the process of draining seems more complicated than for the TDV6. I'm tempted to buy the 'Fuchs Maintain Fricofin LL Orange' (OAT coolant) from opieoils and flush the system prior to filling with this, just for the sake of being thorough. Though if I don't flush then I'll do what you did and buy the Havoline XLC coolant.

you mentioned flushing the radiator. wouldn't it work if I stuck a hose up the lower radiator coolant hose and let the water rise out of the expansion tank? or is that a silly thing to do?

Cheers ! Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.
DONE: Meduza front bumper, AB rear bumper, AB tailpipes, calipers repainted, rear upper tailgate upgrade, side steps, AB front grille, AB side vents, rear LED lights, clear side repeaters, integrated daytime running lights, LED headlights.

Post #440011 Mon Oct 20 2014 2:46pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The TDV8, along with the S/C, has an additional radiator in the front OS bumper. Its use is controlled by a thermostat I believe so it's likely that it and its pipework contained the additional fluid. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #440037 Mon Oct 20 2014 6:49pm
Paddi

tanloverluke wrote:

you mentioned flushing the radiator. wouldn't it work if I stuck a hose up the lower radiator coolant hose and let the water rise out of the expansion tank? or is that a silly thing to do?

Cheers !

I guess it would work but messy - you'll spill a lot of coolant/water inside the engine bay. If there is any sediment build-up it's most likely going to be in the narrow tubes of the radiator core not the engine waterways (and you might risk just displacing it into the engine?). 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #440093 Tue Oct 21 2014 11:44am
tanloverluke

yep that's not ideal, unless I sealed a pipe around the opening of the coolant tank. regarding the radiator sump, isn't the cooling system a closed system, i.e. the water only circulates within the system and doesn't run into the engine? you got me worried about this now Big Cry Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.

Post #440102 Tue Oct 21 2014 2:23pm
Paddi

Sorry - badly put on my part - Embarassed should have typed: (and you might risk just displacing it into the engine waterways?).

As you say - can't see that there is a risk of getting water into any other parts of the engine. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #440103 Tue Oct 21 2014 2:29pm
tanloverluke

ok that fine i suppose,. the OAT coolant is arriving tomorrow so I'll be getting my hands dirty with this.
Thanks for clearing that up Paddi! Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.

Post #440104 Tue Oct 21 2014 2:37pm
Paddi

Thumbs Up look forward to the write-up with lots of pictures 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #440107 Tue Oct 21 2014 2:48pm
tanloverluke

well, coolant was drained and system (hopefully thoroughly) flushed today. I suspect this is a relatively simple procedure for a TDV6 compared to a TDV8, as the workshop manual states that only the lower radiator pipe has to be opened to drain the system.

so, the coolant expansion tank lid was opened, then I got on my back to remove the radiator access panel. I was met with an array of pipes and clips and was a little confused as to what clip I had to release, so I went for the middle one, where the horizontal pipe connects to the t-connector, and luckily it was the correct one:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I put a bucket under the pipe and released the hose from the t-connector and boy did it splash everywhere, as you can see from the pics. I collected a total of 8-liters into the bucket, which ties in nicely with what the manual states as the refill amount for a diesel. Here is what I collected:

For the flush, I did two things. Firstly I shoved the garden hose into the lower coolant pipe, in the direction of the t-connector, and let the water run. This was very effective because the liquid that came out the other end was still (slightly) orange in color. Several liters later and the flush seemed to do the trick. I did all this with the expansion tank lid removed.

I then reconnected the lower radiator hose and filled up the system with water only, opening the bleed valves in the process. When the tank was filled up to the upper level, I screwed the cap on, tightened the bleed screws and followed steps 18 & 19 below:

Click image to enlarge

WORD OF CAUTION: when I started the engine, the water in the tank quickly drained and I had to top this up pretty fast. I didn't want a lack of water in the system and engine problems later because of overheating. Keep your eye on this if you're following what I did!

when the system had cooled slightly, I again opened the lower radiator coolant hose and let all the water drain from the system. The water that drained wasn't so clear and was slightly frothy, so I can only assume that this did the trick in flushing old coolant from the system.

The coolant that I ordered was the wrong type so I'll be filling it up tomorrow with the proper stuff. I have ordered the 'FUCHS MAINTAIN FRICOFIN LL'. This will be arriving tomorrow. I'll be mixing this 50/50 with distilled water and hoping for the best. This coolant is an orange colored OAT to the ford WSS-M97-B44-D standard.

Tips:
1) when you're on your back you may want to check the lower end of the intercooler pipe. I did and I noticed that the clip was loose, which is probably the reason for the lack of power/smokey exhausts that I've noticed lately.
2) give everything a clean and dry before putting the radiator access cover back in place. Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.

Post #440197 Wed Oct 22 2014 4:54pm
Paddi

Nice work TLL Thumbs Up

You've also highlighted one of the great things about doing your own maintenance - spotting and fixing other little problems 'while you're in there'.

Great stuff - hope the refill goes OK. Just out of interest - what does the manufacturer say about life of the new coolant? Five or ten years? 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #440200 Wed Oct 22 2014 5:15pm
tanloverluke

Thanks Paddi!

There is a real feelgood factor with this!

I honestly don't know the life of the coolant, but it is a long life one. I would probably want to do another drain and flush in 5 years time. Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.

Post #440202 Wed Oct 22 2014 5:39pm
Xstyle

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Nice work!!

Is Havoline XCL, the same coolant as the Landrover one, just rebadged??

https://www.roverparts.com/resources/video...nd-rovers/

Post #560852 Fri Jul 06 2018 9:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1