Home > Maintenance & Modifications > winter is here, drl's to be installed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 7 1234567>

tanloverluke

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
winter is here, drl's to be installed

another project is just around the corner...the drl's have been ordered:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181533870722

some may remember that I wanted to buy the Rostra drl's, but seeing as the group buy mustered up a grand total of 1 interested party (not including myself), I decided to buy this relatively inexpensive alternative. I've also ordered a dimmer:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371085995570

I went with these CREE style drl's because the diodes are placed at the back of the unit, facing forwards, as opposed to some drl's where the diodes are pointing downwards and reflected out by the reflectors.I also wanted 4 diodes per drl, just like the originals. Let's see how this goes.

I haven't a clue how to wire these up. Should be simple enough though (unlike the originals). All I know is that I want to go through the fuse box ad recess the lights into the bumper. Anyone with experience feel free to share ! Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.
DONE: Meduza front bumper, AB rear bumper, AB tailpipes, calipers repainted, rear upper tailgate upgrade, side steps, AB front grille, AB side vents, rear LED lights, clear side repeaters, integrated daytime running lights, LED headlights.
TO DO: color code sills and pillars.

Post #439284 Mon Oct 13 2014 6:05pm
RRS Daz

Where about on the bumper are you fitting them?

Is your front bumper a standard one or ab, hst?

Post #439294 Mon Oct 13 2014 7:59pm
PEACHY

England 

Shocked just drive round with your headlights on all day Whistle

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Good luck Thumbs Up 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #439299 Mon Oct 13 2014 8:11pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tanloverluke

I've got a meduza so I was thinking about just above the vent holes. haven't thought about how i'm gonna affix them into place yet. have you experience Daz? Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.
DONE: Meduza front bumper, AB rear bumper, AB tailpipes, calipers repainted, rear upper tailgate upgrade, side steps, AB front grille, AB side vents, rear LED lights, clear side repeaters, integrated daytime running lights, LED headlights.

Post #439301 Mon Oct 13 2014 8:13pm
tanloverluke

PEACHY wrote:
Shocked just drive round with your headlights on all day Whistle

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Good luck Thumbs Up

mate i would if i had the angel eyes "a la sparky" Crying or Very sad
driving back home on M3 last night i spotted a rrs with the drl's and i thought i just had to get these. looked very sexy.
have you fitted yours yet? Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.

Post #439303 Mon Oct 13 2014 8:15pm
PEACHY

England 

Been there done that - but not at £700 a shot - I'm looking at booking it in whilst on holiday in November - they are few & far between & IMO look the part but just haven't got the enthusiasm this time round ( not like my first love ) Big Cry 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #439304 Mon Oct 13 2014 8:20pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tanloverluke

don't blame you matey! £700 way too expensive. i'll post the pics up to maybe tempt you to a 60 quid alternative Thumbs Up Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.

Post #439345 Tue Oct 14 2014 8:37am
Paulcp

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Atacama Sand

Look very similar to the Philips DRL4s that I fitted to mine. TBH I don't see the point of fitting the dimmer module due to where the lights will be fitted

Also have a think about how you want them to operate. Wiring to the battery will result in them turning off every so often when driving, and especially when idling, due to the way in which the charging system works. The only true ignition on live fuse I could find was the one for the fuel pump which is where I took the live feed from. All others, including the socket behind the grill, appeared to utilise the delayed sleep mode when turning the ignition off

Post #439373 Tue Oct 14 2014 4:10pm
designboy

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Lux Stornoway Grey

Very interested in this mate, I really wanted to do my headlights over christmas as I stay at home and can glue them, but I cant track down good ring lights, any of you seen any?

I'd like these too. Have you any pics of the meduza bumper and was it a pain to get fitted? 

Post #439411 Wed Oct 15 2014 2:16am
tanloverluke

Paulcp wrote:
Look very similar to the Philips DRL4s that I fitted to mine. TBH I don't see the point of fitting the dimmer module due to where the lights will be fitted

Also have a think about how you want them to operate. Wiring to the battery will result in them turning off every so often when driving, and especially when idling, due to the way in which the charging system works. The only true ignition on live fuse I could find was the one for the fuel pump which is where I took the live feed from. All others, including the socket behind the grill, appeared to utilise the delayed sleep mode when turning the ignition off

Thanks Paul for the tip re: the fuel pump fuse. Great help Thumbs Up
I'm a little unsure about the dimmer, as to whether I must have the drl turned off when the headlamps come on, or if can use the dimmer function. A little more reading is necessary. But from a purely aesthetic standpoint I would like both on at the same time. I can always take away the dim functions if I don't like it.

Thanks again. Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.

Post #439430 Wed Oct 15 2014 8:43am
tanloverluke

designboy wrote:
Very interested in this mate, I really wanted to do my headlights over christmas as I stay at home and can glue them, but I cant track down good ring lights, any of you seen any?

I'd like these too. Have you any pics of the meduza bumper and was it a pain to get fitted?

If you're looking for the ring lights then you're looking for the 'angel eyes', which is what I'm still looking for.
I bought some new honeycomb mesh (for the air vents) and I'll be affixing the drl's at the weekend, so I can sort some piccies for you then. Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.

Post #439431 Wed Oct 15 2014 8:45am
jack.bauer

luke, seems like you've done some research on this. interested to know why you've settled on this over the philips DRL4 ? Is it simply price?

i toyed with the idea but like the interior LED bulbs, unless there's proven recommendations, it's being lost in an array of different products.

I have the HST bumper so was looking at the "L" shape DRL

which i thought fit rather nicely in the inner corners of the HST bumper 07 TDV8 + BAS map

Post #439436 Wed Oct 15 2014 9:15am
tanloverluke

hi Jack, with the Philips drl's the diodes are downward facing. it's a small detail i know. the Hella ledaytime drl's also utilise downward facing led's. the light effect should be brighter this way, but then again if you take a look at the video on the ebay link above, you'll see that the drl's I purchased appear bright enough. Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.

Post #439442 Wed Oct 15 2014 9:47am
jack.bauer

What difference does the diode direction make? Is it simply that the light is shone outwards as opposed to being rejected of the bottom? If the former emit a brighter light why would the other manufacturers point downwards?

Sorry not very fluent in electrical components Embarassed 07 TDV8 + BAS map

Post #439542 Thu Oct 16 2014 12:09am
tanloverluke

downward facing led's should appear brighter. but the oem drl's from land rover feature forward facing led's and i'm trying to mimic the original look as much as possible, without the £500 price tag Thumbs Up Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.

Post #439546 Thu Oct 16 2014 7:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 7 1234567>