Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Newbie center diff question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

spooky

Switzerland 
Newbie center diff question

Hello!

Is the center diff a visquous limited slip?
Why do I see an "unlocked" icon on my dashboard then?
I have RRS 2012 V8SC, free rear diff.
Thanks!

Post #438973 Fri Oct 10 2014 7:50am
rich_sargie

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

I'm not entirely sure but I thought it was a torsion type diff in the middle. I could be wrong but it is defiantly not a viscus type as this is essentially an aggressive on or off type diff only realty suited to hammering round a track lol

Post #439049 Fri Oct 10 2014 10:18pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The centre diff is a multi-plate wet clutch with the locking function provided by an electric motor. The motor is the same one that is used to implement changes between low and high range. The system allows for a varying degree of diff locking based on the Terrain Response settings chosen. Locking occurs automatically depending on the traction and the TR settings. It can not be locked manually by the driver. In TR "general" (special programs "off") the centre diff is effectively open all of the time - traction is controlled by the TC system alone.

Even when in a TR special program (mud and ruts, rock crawl etc.) it's open most of the time. The only time it will lock is if the system senses loss of traction at one axle or where the TR settings specifically ask for it. For example, in rock crawl mode, the centre diff will usually start off locked.

If you ever take your RRS off road you will see the centre diff lock up as conditions demand and depending on the TR settings chosen. If you never take your RRS off road and never use a TR setting other than the general "special programs off" setting then you'll never see the diff lock.

It amazing how far you can get sometimes before the centre diff locks. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #439059 Sat Oct 11 2014 2:06am
spooky

Switzerland 

Thanks so much for the answer!

I looked everywhere I could on the internet, to get more info about this multi plate system on the RRS....and found nothing! Shocked Do you know any website where i can find this type of info?

The most interesting page a I found so far was:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-wheel_...h_coupling
...But it's not specific to the RRS! Rolling Eyes

Post #439129 Sun Oct 12 2014 7:55am
RRSTDV8

Is this of any use?
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...%20box.pdf

Also, this is very informative - and a little scary that some key components are plastic...
http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-r...rdown.html

Interestingly, the centre diff in the previous FFRR (not the new one) was a Torsen system.
http://www.fullfatrr.com/gallery/albums/us...ferBox.pdf 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #439202 Sun Oct 12 2014 9:46pm
spooky

Switzerland 

Wow, I already checked the first link, it is an amazing piece of information! I'll check the 2 other links this evening (I don't understand why I was not able to find this info myself... Wink ). Really thanks a lot Very Happy (and yes I was also confused by the variety of limited slip technos that were used at LR...).

Post #439217 Mon Oct 13 2014 5:25am
RRSTDV8

The first one didn't exist until last night - I extracted it from the workshop manual for you. Thumbs Up

The second link came from searching for the transfer box by its name (DD295) which is in the workshop manual. The third link was just something interesting that fell out of my searches. Thumbs Up

The DD295 is used in the D3/D4/RRS1. The previous FF and the FL2/Evoque use Torsen centre diffs (not the same one though, I'm sure).

The new RRS uses a multi plate clutch in the two speed transfer box or a Torsen diff in the single speed transfer box. The latter is set up to give more torque to the rear end (42/5Cool in normal conditions and can send a maximum of 62% to front / 78% to rear. The two speed box is set up 50/50 and can send 100% of torque to either end. Based on that, I would like expect the two variations of RRS2 to handle differently on road and perform differently off road. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #439224 Mon Oct 13 2014 9:47am
RRSTDV8

I've seen that the FFRR adopted the same gearbox and transfer box (and hence centre diff) as the Disco and RRS in 2007. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #439247 Mon Oct 13 2014 1:48pm
spooky

Switzerland 

The post of RRPhil was absolutely amazing! Very Happy

Post #439492 Wed Oct 15 2014 6:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1