RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > 1 month in - a few thoughts and questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

parkheat35

United Kingdom 
1 month in - a few thoughts and questions

Hi from a newbie RR Sport 2 owner. Mine is a 3.0 Corris Grey Autobiography with Ebony/Lunar/Ivory interior. Been interested to read posts so far and thought I’d write up first month of ownership and have a few questions you might be able to help with:

1) Fantastic comfort - superb seats with excellent adjustment…able to find great driving position easily. The 3.0 diesel engine is very smooth, I think the engine note is tuneful!

2) Great to have a lever again. I didn’t hate the rotary controller but prefer a stick. Not totally intuitive though: Push/pull for changing up/down feels the wrong way round to me.

2) I got used to auto stop start early on but it’s still clunky in low speed manoeuvring where the engine switches off momentarily when you switch from Drive to Reverse. Seems to be activated by pedal pressure rather than just being stationary so you can stop the car with lighter brake foot and keep the engine running but it’s quite subtle.

4) Don’t get why clicking Park sometimes switches off the engine and sometimes doesn’t. Is anyone aware of what determines this? It’s smart that if you unbuckle your seat belt after Park has cut the engine the car switches off completely but since it doesn’t always cut when you press Park in the first place, not as slick as it could be.

5) Dynamic mode. In both Sport and Drive, dials go red when you select Dynamic mode. In Sport the car immediately changes down a gear but not sure if anything at all happens if you’re in Drive - maybe just the red dials…!?

6) Door mirror positions do not follow the electric seat memory positions - I have to change these manually. Is that the same for everyone?

7) Do the wiper and indicator stalks not have any lighting? The steering wheel controls illuminate at night but I can’t see any lighting on the stalk controls.

8) Voice control. I think this generally works very well - seems much better than a previous Evoque I had. But why no shortcut to get to My Music?

9) Nav. Yes it doesn’t have fancy 3D images or street view but better than I expected from reading various posts. Not the best at estimating arrival time though. Does anyone know if the hack to load speed cameras for Evoque also works for RR Sport?

10) Audio. I think LR has pitched this wrong. The AB comes with the 825W Meridian system - I think it’s fine but nothing special. IMO it should be the base level system for a car of this class possibly with an uprated system mid way to the £5k reference option.

11) Bonnet opener on the passenger side?

12) Bluetooth. Found it to be reliable and predictable, both for phone and audio playback. Pity the instrument panel doesn’t show what’s playing - especially since it appears on the centre console. One quirk I noticed is iOS devices don’t send duration information whereas Android do so you see where you are in a track - useful on longer items like books/podcasts.

Nearly 2,000 miles so far and really enjoying the car…

Post #438492 Sat Oct 04 2014 1:48pm
rangiejools

Australia 

Had my SE SDV6 Dynamic in Chilli Red and almond for 5 months now.
Agree with you re the gear lever especially if one changes between other cars. Can be a bit confusing.
I have got the hang of Stop/Start now with the brake pedal pressure. Also have sussed that it only works in Drive. Any other setting like sport ,dynamic or any of the off road settings pretty sure it is disabled.
Engine is very smooth and pretty powerful. Haven't got worse than 32mpg yet and best is 44mpg. Have heard that the TDV8 is a real goer so may update in a couple of years.
Haven't noticed the lack of lighting on the stalks. Maybe I will now!
Nav is OK but the whole infotainment system needs an overhaul. The delay on the touch screen is a PIA.
I have the 825w system and I am so glad I opted for it. The base system is terrible! The 825w should be standard on all models and I'll bet it is in a year or two.
Try it off road, its amazing. Better than my D4.
Love driving the car and am looking at doing long trip to Queensland in it soon. Fantastic ride on motorways but suspension can be a little hard on some of our Victorian country roads.
9000ks now and apart from a knock in the front suspension been very reliable. Suspension knock was fixed very early on as LR had issued a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) not long after I took delivery.

Enjoy

Jools. SDV8 arrived and fantastic even the infotainment!
1983 2 door Range Rover ARB Bar X9000 winch ARB Rear Bar now semi retired.
Many big trips done in this one.
1982 Rangerover nearly restored.
22 Defender D250 with lots of stuff for outback touring
Nice 2013 Freelander TD4 manual (for daughter to learn on) with much better stereo compared with previous SD4 SE with Meridian which sounded bad!
2013 Land Rover Defender ute.

Post #438706 Tue Oct 07 2014 12:04pm
RobF

United Kingdom 

A good set of observations parkheat 35.

On your various points, my thoughts are:

2. I sometimes select reverse when I want Park. Force of habit is to push the lever to the top to select Park.....

2 (again...). Yes, that is very irritating. I have subconsciously now got used to only applying the brake lightly when switching to reverse.

4. Similar problem for me. It's vaguely to do with seatbelts and selecting park, that's all I know. I sometimes restart the car as it has switched off and the finger/brain interface isn't working too sharply

5. Suspension tightens up, steering feels more direct and I guess torque vectoring etc is enabled?

10. I agree. Base audio is c**p even for a tone deaf guy like me

And I agree with rangiejools too: even in comfort mode the ride is pretty harsh. Fine for me but my elderly dad moaned about it when we went to the pub recently (he drives a Lexus RX400h).

My own moan? Checking the oil level. What a palaver!

Post #438712 Tue Oct 07 2014 1:24pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

There are 3 levels of audio, the base one fitted to the HSE which does seem to be nothing special and then two Versions designed by Meridian though I expect made in a China. Meridian are very good at what they do and I'm surprised to hear the smaller of the two systems being labelled as c**p.

So, when your detailed technical evaluation is that it is c**p, what is it you don't like about it? Lack of power? Distortion? Lack of bass? Over-bright treble? Poor stereo image? What source are you using? Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #438726 Tue Oct 07 2014 4:39pm
RobF

United Kingdom 

Quote:
So, when your detailed technical evaluation is that it is c**p, what is it you don't like about it? Lack of power? Distortion? Lack of bass? Over-bright treble? Poor stereo image? What source are you using?

To clarify, I have the base (non-Meridian) system. Badged as a "Range Rover audio with 8 speakers (250W)". When I ordered the car, it was said to be 380W (I have the original brochure) - but this was changed down the line.

At any sort of volume the speakers cannot cope, overall the system lacks bass and is very thin and 'reedy'. I suspect they use cheap cones which deform and distort. I also hate seeing/hearing speaker grilles with nothing coming out of them. My guess is that LandRover designed the car to be equipped with the lower of the two Meridian systems as standard but they needed to take cost out to achieve price points - and the audio was one area of sacrifice.

I'm not moaning about it (I am the one who specced the car), but if I was ordering again, the lower Meridian system would be a tick on the options list.

Post #438728 Tue Oct 07 2014 4:55pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Thanks for clarifying. I agree the base audio system seems a cost saving too far. The lesser system in the Evoque (325W) could have done perfectly well as the entry level system as well. Has to be seen as an essential option I think. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #438732 Tue Oct 07 2014 5:23pm
Chrisr1806

England 

Base system is fine in my car. I only listen to the radio so not that bothered. Arrived: MY16 A/B SDV6 in Aruba, Ivory interior, piano black trim, black panoramic roof, spare wheel, blind spot monitoring, mudlaps and more... Twisted Evil

Gone but not forgotten:
2014 RRS2 SDV6 HSE in Loire Blue
2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE in Santorini Black

Post #438794 Wed Oct 08 2014 11:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1