RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Clear Front Reflectors How To
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

sam006

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey
Clear Front Reflectors How To

Hopefully this will work as it's the first time i've posted photo's on a forum! Also apologies for the photo quality, some area bit shaky!

I recently purchased a set of clear indicator reflectors from guy in the USA (see thread http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic22760....reflectors ) for around £80. Mightily impressed by the quality and care that has gone into the making of these. Anyway was keen to fit to finish my tweaking/modifying process, having previously carried out something similar years back on an old 02 plate X5 i was confident enough to give it a go.

The easy way to 'split' the headlights is to bake them in a oven. Unfortunately mine was not quite large enough so I used a heat gun instead.

After firstly removing the headlights from the car (i'd recommend placing a towel on the bumper in front of the headlight your removing so you can rest the light to unclip the electrics without scratching the bumper) I then covered my kitchen table with an old towel and placed the 1st headlight unit on the table. There are something like 6 metal clips round the lens casing which can be popped off easily with a screwdriver.

Before you start you need to disconnect the sidelight/indicator white light, the wiring has little slack and if you don't theres a chance you'll break the wires when splitting the light. This is done by removing/twisting the opening on the base and unclipping the small light and sidelight. Once removed i then slowely working my way round the outside of the light with a heat gun increasing the heat as i went (not sure if all guns are fully adjustable?). After about 5 mins of doing this you can star to prise the casing apart. I used a standard table knife to assist, you need to be a bit careful not to deform the plastic too much as it will make it liable for condensation in the future if you do.

Once 'split' you then need to unscrew 2 torx holding screws (star head) at the opposite end to the reflector then remove the housing from the lens. Simply then pop out the orange reflector and insert the clear/smoked one

Put back together by re screwing the housing into the lens, then re-heat the sealant, again carefully working your way round the housing and then give the remnants of what sealant is stuck to the lens a quick heat and push the 2 together. If it won't go al the way together all the way round heat the offending area and push together. Replace the clips and stick the headlights back in the car (use a towel again) and you're reflector lenses are no longer orange!!

Range Rover Sport HSE and for a bit of weekend fun a S1 Lotus Elise with a few track biased additions!

Post #321854 Sun Nov 20 2011 2:56pm
iz6byo

2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Great!!!!!!!
is it easy open the headlights?
i want try but........... Confused
and what about for close back them? any idea?

thanks

Post #321855 Sun Nov 20 2011 3:01pm
hario69

England 

Hi mate

Ive been following that guy in the US's posts on the forum over there and really tempted to do what you've just done - looks absolutely mint.

I had the headlights out yesterday and noticed I dont actually have a bulb holder or any wiring behind the orange side reflector that you have just replaced. The hole is there, just not the bulb, holder or any wiring.

Did yours have bulbs? Mines a 05 reg 2.7 TDV6 HSE UK model

PS Im probably still going for it as its the looks Im bothered about

Post #321859 Sun Nov 20 2011 4:01pm
mse

United Kingdom 

hario69 wrote:
Hi mate

Ive been following that guy in the US's posts on the forum over there and really tempted to do what you've just done - looks absolutely mint.

I had the headlights out yesterday and noticed I dont actually have a bulb holder or any wiring behind the orange side reflector that you have just replaced. The hole is there, just not the bulb, holder or any wiring.

That will be because you dont have one of the options which gives those lamps Thumbs Up Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #321884 Sun Nov 20 2011 7:24pm
sam006

hario69 wrote:
Hi mate

Not 100% which bulbs your on about? But the orange reflectors don't have any bulbs behind. I changed mine purely for cosmetic reasons Range Rover Sport HSE and for a bit of weekend fun a S1 Lotus Elise with a few track biased additions!

Post #321916 Sun Nov 20 2011 10:38pm
sam006

iz6byo wrote:
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Great!!!!!!!
is it easy open the headlights?
i want try but........... Confused
and what about for close back them? any idea?

thanks

Really not that difficult, easier putting in the oven for 10 mins or so and then when you want to put back together re-heat in the oven and push together. Did mine with a heat gun which is a bit more tricky but so long as your reasonably patient (which my Mrs will tell you I'm not usually)! Then just re-heat the sealent with the gun and push home! Range Rover Sport HSE and for a bit of weekend fun a S1 Lotus Elise with a few track biased additions!

Post #321920 Sun Nov 20 2011 10:41pm
Beancounter_74

England 

I can't say that the amber refectors bother me, but without them it does look great, ............just not something I have the balls/skills to do. Laughing ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #321938 Mon Nov 21 2011 10:21am
sam006

Beancounter_74 wrote:
I can't say that the amber refectors bother me, but without them it does look great, ............just not something I have the balls/skills to do. Laughing

Believe me no real skill or balls needed just patience! Which my better half will tell you I seriously lack!!! Laughing

If I hadn't done it before on another car a knew how easy it is I probably wouldn't have bothered. But into the clean lines look and though the orange ever so slightly detracted from this. Range Rover Sport HSE and for a bit of weekend fun a S1 Lotus Elise with a few track biased additions!

Post #324674 Sat Dec 10 2011 8:01pm
dazzagt

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HST Java Black

Looks good Sam Thumbs Up

Something for the new year me thinks ! RRS S/C, Factory Fitted Full HST kit, 22" Overfinch SS, Carbon Vents & Grill .. - FOR SALE - PM me for details

997 GT3 - X6 35d

Post #324980 Tue Dec 13 2011 5:31pm
awd man

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

well done Sam.

My reflectors are still sat on my office desk waiting to be installed (same time as the halo's) so some valuable info here thanks Thumbs Up RRS gone
Audi SQ5...Gone Audi Q7 S-Line 240 3.0TDI Gone
Audi A6 Allroad Sport 270 3.0TDI

Post #324999 Tue Dec 13 2011 6:07pm
RRS-Spy

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

They look great and the process doesn't sound too onerous but I would be seriously worried of condensation inside the lenses during winter if they don't seal back together seamlessly as from the factory.

It might not be an issue if you live in a fairly warm climate all year round but I would have thought the UK is not the best place. I look forward to hearing how these fare during the coming winter months.

Look great though Thumbs Up Proud owner of a 2008 TDV8 HSE.....and an Audi A3 2.0T DSG Cab and a Porsche 911 Turbo (Mercedes W208 320 CLK and Mercedes W124 E220 Estate now gone)

Post #325019 Tue Dec 13 2011 9:09pm
kml4ever

Turkey 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Lugano Teal

İ havr to grt those markers ASAP Smile)) KML4EVER

Post #326199 Sun Dec 25 2011 2:07am
sam006

RRS-Spy wrote:
They look great and the process doesn't sound too onerous but I would be seriously worried of condensation inside the lenses during winter if they don't seal back together seamlessly as from the factory.

It might not be an issue if you live in a fairly warm climate all year round but I would have thought the UK is not the best place. I look forward to hearing how these fare during the coming winter months.

Look great though Thumbs Up

I haven't (yet) had any problems with condensation, however when I did this on my old X5 I did, this was simply cured by a bead of clear mastic around the light unit joint. If you're an absolute perfectionist you can buy the proper original black sealent online and remove the old and replace.

Just make sure not to leave finger marks on the inside of the lens!! Range Rover Sport HSE and for a bit of weekend fun a S1 Lotus Elise with a few track biased additions!

Post #326309 Wed Dec 28 2011 12:39am
iz6byo

2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

hi Sam and happy 2012 to all.
i have opened the highlights with the oven at 130°C
10 mins are enough....
i have painted the gray parts with a opaque black,i have cleaned the plastic and used a primer.
i have change the grill color too with same opaque black.
here the result:

Click image to enlarge

Piero Whistle

Post #326834 Wed Jan 04 2012 2:09pm
simon1233

United Kingdom 

Very nice Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #326838 Wed Jan 04 2012 3:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>