RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Detailing & Car Cleaning > Windscreen treatments
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
Windscreen treatments

I've been using Rain-X for a while, usually the 2-in-1 "cleaner and treatment" stuff. I prefer not having to use wipers when driving at speed and this works reasonably well. However, it needs re-treating quite regularly and it also tends to smear a bit, e.g. when wiping dew off the screen first thing in the morning, resulting in the need to use the wash jets too.

I know there are other products around such as GTechniq G1 but I'm concerned that they might be tricky to apply and, if done poorly, will result in poor vision in the wet.

So, are there any recommendations, for G1 or otherwise, and also how easy to apply are these products? Would it be worth getting it applied by a detailer, for example? The glass will need to be thoroughly cleaned, no doubt, and I have little experience / inclination when it comes to deep cleaning / detailing etc.

I'm hoping the "soap and polish" guys can help me out! Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #435547 Sun Sep 07 2014 5:18pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

I use the Rain-X 2-in-1 thing too and the only time it smeared the windscreen was when I forgot to rinse it after applying Embarassed It lasts for a decent amount of time for me but may be that's because I don't get the car washed too often.

Sorry, probably not a very useful response to your post but I can't help with the other products. Rain-X on exterior glass and Autosol metal polish on sidestep metal strips is the extent of my "detailing" (if you can call it that) knowledge.

Post #435550 Sun Sep 07 2014 5:54pm
nigel52

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I use TRIBOS which covers bodywork, glass and alloy wheels. Water just bounces off the glass and it will last for several years. If you contact them they may sell the glass treatment separately. The heritage is Super Yachts where they needed a product that would work in severe marine environment.

Post #435552 Sun Sep 07 2014 6:04pm
RRSTDV8

fkarim wrote:
I use the Rain-X 2-in-1 thing too and the only time it smeared the windscreen was when I forgot to rinse it after applying Embarassed

Am I missing a trick here? I thought one only needed to rinse the "proper" Rain-X rather than the cleaner/treatment stuff. Hmmm... 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #435578 Sun Sep 07 2014 9:30pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Apologies. Just realised I used to buy the "proper" rain repellant but last time I got the 2-in-1 (almost certainly unintentionally) but kept using it like the other product. Need to familiarise myself with these things and visit Halfords more often Laughing

Post #435583 Sun Sep 07 2014 9:49pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I've used G1 on two of my vehicles and what a pig it is to apply Whistle If not applied in the right temperature, then it smears like hell and looks a right mess on the screen, then its very difficult to get back off to make it look right. Works well when applied correctly though. I just haven't found the right way to apply it even thouigh i have watch GT's video several times on how to apply it correctly. Only works without the wipers at 55+ mph on the sport though due to the angle of the screen. Lasted about 8-9 months. I needed replacement wiper blades after 14000 miles/18 months. Not sure it had any bearing on wearing the blades out any quicker than usual as i didn't need to use them on a motorway journey.

Post #435596 Sun Sep 07 2014 11:26pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
andman

Andorra 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

I used G5 a few years ago... applied relatively easily and worked well for best part of a year....

It's not as hardcore as G1 so easier all round if you make a mistake... 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's
2013 Porsche Boxster S 3.4
2014 Audi A3 S line Quattro
---------------------------------

Post #435924 Wed Sep 10 2014 7:36pm
RRSTDV8

@ady
That's sort of what I'm afraid of.

@andman
Thanks. Is that the stuff they say is good for shower cubicle doors? Easy to apply is what I'm after Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #435932 Wed Sep 10 2014 8:14pm
andman

Andorra 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

it couldn't be easier.... my experience was really good.. It's made for cars mainly ...

No special pre cleaning etc...not that tricky to apply that it needs a residue remover like G1 !!

have a read of the application instructions... resources section of this link.. their own video on their site shows car application ..

My front windscreen lasted 4 months... rest of car a year...

http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars/exter...d-perspex/ 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's
2013 Porsche Boxster S 3.4
2014 Audi A3 S line Quattro
---------------------------------

Post #435934 Wed Sep 10 2014 8:55pm
Superclean

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Luxury Arctic Frost

Hi there,

IMHO G1 is the best crystal lacquer protection for glass. A single coating will be sufficient for the side windows but the front and rear glass will need 3 coats. Apply these 5 mins between each one. It says to leave for 15 mins overall and then use the Gtech residue remover. But my personal of the trade is to leave the coatings on for 45 mins to 1 hour. Then use IPA (30% IPA & 70% water) and use this to remove excess residue. This will allow the glass coat to bond like concrete but leaves the IPA strong enough to remove the excess very well & leaving zero smearing. By doing it this way I find it will repel for well over 1.5 years.

Cheers
Mike Always clean.

Post #436199 Sat Sep 13 2014 5:08pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Solihull1

United Kingdom 

Super clean - will a detailer simply do a window treatment like this without detailing the whole car? If so, what would the cost be approx? Thanks

Post #456756 Sun Mar 22 2015 11:11am
Superclean

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Luxury Arctic Frost

Hi there,

Im pretty sure most will, as we have clients in the winter who just have there front glass/all glass. Ours vary from £40.00 to £80.00 plus VAT.

Kind Regards

Michael Always clean.

Post #456899 Mon Mar 23 2015 10:35am
Solihull1

United Kingdom 

Many thanks Superclean

Post #456983 Mon Mar 23 2015 11:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1