RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Winter Tyres off road?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Somerset Bumpkin

2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Java Black
Winter Tyres off road?

Bought myself a set of 19" wheels which I've been meaning to do for ages. I currently run grabber a/t on 20" (45 profile) all year round and I'm pleased with them. They all need a refurb which was going to cost more than a new set of 19's so I finally took the plunge this year.

I do a bit of off roading when I visit the farm and I've always run 80/20, a/t tyres on my 4x4s (Shogun, L200, Defender) so I would like to stick with them as I can't stand the thought of owning a 4x4 that's compromised when I need to get it dirty. That said, I've been reading about winter tyres for a while and would like to try them this year for the benefits of road safety in ice/snow and maybe get some summer tyres back in the 20's next spring (I never found the need for nobbly tyres in the dry). Do winter tyres like the wintracks perform well in boggy fields, muddy ruts/tracks and slippery grass slopes? As that's generally what I do off the beaten path.

Or do you think I should get myself another set of grabbers (55 profile this time)? How do you guys feel they perform on icy/snowy roads? I'm not that convinced.

Post #433898 Thu Aug 21 2014 7:54pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I ran Wintracs for a couple of winters. A good tyres on winter roads.

On "chocolate sauce" mud I found they were a bit lacking - tended to lose grip quite easily although I never needed a tow out. For use on tracks etc. they'll be fine. Wet grass can catch any tyre out so it's difficult to compare with others.

I haven't run my Grabber ATs in winter conditions yet but they have been fine in off road situations so far. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #434369 Thu Aug 28 2014 1:15am
bl74beano

Australia 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 SE Atacama Sand

Can't vouch for winter roads (Winter here means we have to suffer days as cold as 15C), but I have Cooper LTZs on mine and they do really well on muddy tracks and silty lake beds on the farm. they are 70/30 so maybe a little more aggressive than the 80/20s... drive great on the road too

Post #434371 Thu Aug 28 2014 4:24am
Somerset Bumpkin

2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Java Black

Cool thanks guys. Going to go for winter tyres I think this year. Are wintracs still the daddy's?

Will miss the look of the ATs though, just don't think I do enough off road anymore to justify having them on all year round.

Post #434958 Tue Sep 02 2014 4:00pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Wintracs get "middle of the table" results in various comparison tests these days - they're a bit old. Be worth doing a search for 4x4 winter tyre reviews. There are a few on the web. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #434968 Tue Sep 02 2014 4:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1