RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > More Worrying Than "The Gap"?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

malcolmw

United Kingdom 
More Worrying Than "The Gap"?

From The Times:

Luxury car owners told to use steering locks to beat hi-tech gangs

You might have thought they went out with manual chokes, but owners of top-of-the-range cars are being told by police to buy old-fashioned steering locks to stop thieves outwitting their sophisticated alarms.
Car thieves are routinely driving away in high-value vehicles after mastering a technique to foil their computerised security systems.

The Kensington and Chelsea neighbourhood policing teams, covering the wealthy west London neighbourhoods, recently wrote to owners: “Car thieves currently operate in this area and your vehicle may be at heightened risk of being stolen. Expensive vehicles, including Range Rovers, Land Rovers and BMW X series and X6 series, in particular have been targeted.

“Having gained access, any vehicle security systems have been bypassed and the vehicles in most cases driven away. It is recommended therefore that you consider additional means of securing your vehicle such as through the use of a simple steering wheel or gear stick lock, which are effective in preventing theft of your vehicle.”
Simon Gregg, who owns two Range Rovers and is owner of Bramley, a quality car dealership, highlighted the advice on his Twitter account after receiving the letter. He said: “It has got to the point now that people are going to Halfords and buying a steering lock because it will act as a better deterrent.

“Land Rover said its engineering department was working on the problem but how am I supposed to protect the car they sold me? Cars without keys are particularly vulnerable. One person I have spoken to says 26 Range Rovers have been stolen in recent months from central London. I know a BMW X5 was stolen on my road recently and a friend had their Land Rover Discovery stolen.

“Both were keyless. Manufacturers have a problem with this crime, but they are not bothering to tell people. I wish they would make more effort stopping people having their car stolen.”
Thieves operating in wealthy areas are thought to have begun smashing non-alarmed car windows and connecting a device to a vehicle’s diagnostic system. By reprogramming a blank key, it allows them to drive away without any alarms sounding. The process can take less than a minute. Almost half the cars stolen in London are estimated to use keyless technology.

Land Rover said yesterday that its current line-up “continues to meet the insurance industry requirements as tested and agreed with relevant insurance bodies. Nevertheless, the company has taken this issue very seriously and our engineering teams have been working in collaboration with insurance bodies and police forces.
“It is however important to remember that this is an industry-wide issue. Access to the vehicle involves new technology being employed by organised crime to deceive customers into allowing their keys to be cloned. We will continue to evolve the technology in our vehicles as organised crime develops.”

The warning has been sounded after three members of an organised crime gang were sentenced to more than 12 years in prison on Friday, estimated to have made £5 million between 2011 and 2013 in the theft or attempted theft of 33 vehicles and the export of 85 high value vehicles. Khalid Mahmood, 35, of Stokes Poges, Irfan Rehman, 41, of Luton, and Amran Iqbal, 39, of Nottinghamshire, were sentenced by Reading crown court.
Chief Superintendent Ellie O’Connor, borough commander of Kensington and Chelsea, said: “Our officers are undertaking dedicated patrols in those areas which are thought to be at risk.” Regards

Malcolm

Post #431102 Mon Jul 21 2014 8:17am
dforsyth

United Arab Emirates 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 S Stornoway Grey

Saw this too.
Anyone have advice about the best option to protect the vehicle?

Post #431107 Mon Jul 21 2014 8:44am
andman

Andorra 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

The gap problem can be fixed.... !!!

Car crime.....Is here to stay Big Cry 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's
2013 Porsche Boxster S 3.4
2014 Audi A3 S line Quattro
---------------------------------

Last edited by andman on Mon Jul 21 2014 7:04pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #431112 Mon Jul 21 2014 9:58am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Quote:
Land Rover said yesterday that its current line-up “continues to meet the insurance industry requirements as tested and agreed with relevant insurance bodies

Looks like the Insurance industry requirements need to be seriously looked at. Shocked Pretty dam quick. Whistle

As long as L/R keep believing that statement above, then they feel as though they are doing enough. Whistle Because that is all L/R keep telling us. I am sure there are things going on behind closed doors that we arn't privvy to for obvious reasons, but its not helping customers sleep at night right now who have already bought a new motor. The industry should also clamp down on who they supply the equipmet to, to reprogramme the software and keys. Embarassed

Post #431121 Mon Jul 21 2014 10:32am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

This has been going on a while but still no word from LR Rolling Eyes

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic35741.html?highlight=stolen

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic36506.html?highlight=stolen

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic35743.html?highlight=stolen

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic34776.html?highlight=stolen Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #431126 Mon Jul 21 2014 11:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1