RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > RRS to FFRR
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

SingeRRS

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
RRS to FFRR

Well the MY11 RRS is a write off so I have been looking for a replacement - which I can get before the insurers get bored of paying for a hire car. So far I have visited a few dealers and:

1. A new RRS is out - don't like the look or the wait.... and less legroom in the back. An old shape RRS is also out due to the stupid single boot lid (why??). I will never be able to pack the boot with all our holiday stuff... plus there is no way I can replace my heavily specced car.

2. Love the seven seats of the Disco 4 - now I have 3 kids - but having driven one today (a 13 plate) I am left disappointed. I like the extra headroom and seven seats, the handling isn't as bad as I feared (actually it is very RRS like despite the higher heavier cabin), the 3.0 SDV6 is still a terrible engine (sorry I know this will upset people but tuning an engine with minimal turbo lag to pull away at mach 5 but struggle to accelerate in the 60-70mph zone in a 3 ton car is just daft), the 8 speed box can't decide what gear it wants to be in and the drivers seat is far, far less comfortable than the RRS. The stereo is also dire compared to my RRS - and I can't find a logic 7 used car. It just feels like a big downgrade in comfort... but not price.

3. I am drawn to an old shape FF 4.4 TDV8 12 or 62 plate. Similar money to the equivalent aged and mileage Disco (why???), hugely comfortable, huge space in the back and the 4.4 TDV8 is an absolute delight to drive. Lots of motorway torque and not tuned for racing away from the lights. Not seven seats but just seems so much better value than the equivalent Disco.

Problem is I have no idea what to look for on a used FF. RRS and Disco I can look for clonking suspension, sticky turbo actuators etc. etc .etc. I have suffered most of these over the last 5 years but have no idea on what the pitfalls of FFs are. a look through the sister site FullFatRR does not seem to highlight many recurring or common faults - nor does it seem to have the traffic volume of this site so I thought I would ask any experts here what to look for. Likely car will still have 12m plus manufacturers warranty - will be bought from a main dealer - but I still don't want to be stuck with another lemon (the MY10 3.6.TDV8 RRS lasted 9 months).

Can anybody help - perhaps somebody who has made the switch?

Many thanks

Singe

Post #429649 Mon Jul 07 2014 9:22pm
simple1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Cairns Blue

The FF is a very accomplished long distance cruiser, but it isn't a Sport. Even the last of the model, 4.4 Tdv8 is a barge to drive. The 8 speed box and engine are pure silk
These cars don't seem to suffer from the same failures Sports do and the reason I went that route and apart from a few silly issues which mostly came from the car being parked of a forecourt for 9 months and a bit if rust, I have had a year of trouble free motoring. It has impressed me this weekend towing the tin tent down through Dorset and being used to launch and recover

boats on a slipway that no other vehicle could get traction.
My dislike of the hover suspension is well published, but lowering it has helped vastly and other upside is that upgrade parts are considerably cheaper than the Sport for some reason.
Would highly recommend you drive one, but watch the depreciation, it falls faster than you would reasonably expect. The space inside is deceiving, if you are more than six foot, your seat will reduce rear leg room and leave back of drivers seat with in range of a kicking child in a baby seat. (My grand daughters favorite game) but seats are wide enough to fit three car seats side by side.
I have averaged 28 mpg with mine, 30 on motorway without issue and far higher than I could get with Sport. 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀
TDV8 Sport HSE...... Gone. Loved it but it didn't love me!!
Now rolling in MY10 Fullfat TDV8 Vogue. Slammed it to go round corners🙈
Cruising daily #56 mph in a Volvo V8. 😱
Lots of other toys in the cupboard...😜

Post #429704 Tue Jul 08 2014 7:51am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1