RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > has anyone tinted their taillights or headlights?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

tanloverluke

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
has anyone tinted their taillights or headlights?

As the title suggests I'm looking to tint both ends. I have the rear led upgrades, does anyone have any pictures they can post of theirs?
Also what product did you use?
I have some java black color and gloss left over from my mods, do you think this will work well ? Just one layer of color may give a nice translucent effect. Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.
DONE: Meduza front bumper, AB rear bumper, AB tailpipes, calipers repainted, rear upper tailgate upgrade, side steps, AB front grille, AB side vents, rear LED lights, clear side repeaters, integrated daytime running lights, LED headlights.
TO DO: color code sills and pillars.

Post #427496 Tue Jun 17 2014 11:23pm
tanloverluke

i've gone and begun...

ok so i guess not, but still this hasn't deterred me. i've decided to try one side first, so if that doesn't work I don't have to replace both Sad i got my inspiration from a video on youtube using nightshade and clear coat. so i thought to myself, why not use java black and clear coat...at least the tone will match my paintwork !

I started by sanding down with 2000 wet and dry. and then cleaning with my home made vinegar + sodium bicarbonate. works like a treat. then finished off with a microfibre cloth. Looked like this directly after, slightly hazy finish of course after the sanding:

So first coat, tried to spray as light as possible but as evenly as possible, so fast sweeping overlapping actions. after first coat:

left this to dry for 10 minutes then on to the second coat. I felt it needed a second coat to take away the slight patches. I would say the second coat was thinner than the first. end result:

I haven't got a clue how this will end up. right now it looks a little dark, I have to be honest and I'm a little nervous that I may have overdone it. so when they've dried ill pop them on the car and light her up to check.

oh what fun. missus is away in sweden and i'm getting into all sorts of trouble Mr. Green Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.
DONE: Meduza front bumper, AB rear bumper, AB tailpipes, calipers repainted, rear upper tailgate upgrade, side steps, AB front grille, AB side vents, rear LED lights, clear side repeaters, integrated daytime running lights, LED headlights.

Post #427609 Wed Jun 18 2014 11:32pm
tanloverluke

btw, forgot to mention that the clear coat comes after, i'm not going to leave them like this Thumbs Up Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.

Post #427610 Wed Jun 18 2014 11:33pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The first thought that comes to my mind is "why would you want to?" Lights/reflectors are safety items; making them less effective just seems, well, daft to me. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #427614 Thu Jun 19 2014 12:32am
tanloverluke

you know I'm thinking exactly the same thing, but I was thinking at the time "just a little tint", like 20% or something, not what I ended up with Sad I'm not a proud guy so willing to show what an idiot I can be at times.

What I'm hoping is that I can salvage the situation and sand with 2000 wet and dry tomorrow to get a lighter, more even coverage, then clear coat over. But it's gonna take some skill I think Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.

Post #427615 Thu Jun 19 2014 12:48am
tanloverluke

this is what I was hoping for:

Click image to enlarge

what I've got at the moment is this:

Banging Head Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.

Post #427616 Thu Jun 19 2014 12:50am
PEACHY

England 

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter fair play for trying Thumbs Up 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #427617 Thu Jun 19 2014 2:26am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cossiedave

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 Autobiography Zambezi Silver

just get some g3 or tecut and give it a good rub till you get the desired affect mate

Post #427619 Thu Jun 19 2014 7:02am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cossiedave

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 Autobiography Zambezi Silver

just get some g3 or tecut and give it a good rub till you get the desired affect mate

Post #427621 Thu Jun 19 2014 7:03am
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

But FFS, use it on the lights! Laughing

Post #427622 Thu Jun 19 2014 7:07am
tanloverluke

cossiedave wrote:

i'll be the first in the queue this morning !!! thanks for the tip there cossiedave Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.

Post #427628 Thu Jun 19 2014 7:54am
baxc

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

My lights are semi tinted i also have led type but the reflectors are not tinted il take a pic tonight and post it up for you

Post #427632 Thu Jun 19 2014 8:15am
tanloverluke

PEACHY wrote:
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter fair play for trying Thumbs Up

i knew you'd be impressed Peachy Mr. Green
started rubbing it down this morning and boy has it set hard on that plastic. gonna get the paper out on it later. Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.

Post #427633 Thu Jun 19 2014 8:18am
tanloverluke

baxc wrote:
My lights are semi tinted i also have led type but the reflectors are not tinted il take a pic tonight and post it up for you

hi baxc i have rear reflectors on the bumper so these lights should (hopefully) therefore pass the mot. i'll take the end product to my mot tester and ask for his opinion on the roadworthiness.

please post your pics, would be interesting to see. Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.

Post #427634 Thu Jun 19 2014 8:20am
flydive

Switzerland 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Here are mine. Did it with a "smoke lens spray".
I see that there is a plastidip one too, that could be the best solution as easily removable

'08 RRS TDV8
I converted my diesel RRS to run on an environmentally friendly mixture of caribou fat and baby seals oil

Post #427640 Thu Jun 19 2014 9:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>