RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > One for the Tin Tenters - LED lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Zilch

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White
One for the Tin Tenters - LED lights

Gents i am hiring up a camper trailer in a few weeks which is fitted with LED lights, i noted when hiring a trailer
the weekend with LED's that the tow pack does not recognise the Trailer, does not cancel the Rear Parking sensors, and
i assume does not activate trailer stability (a rough guess). Does anyone know whether if the in-line LED convertors that
you can purchase overcome these hassles.. the camper trailer is electronically braked (brake controller on trailer)
but still weighs night on 1000KG so want to make sure i do not have to many "moments"

Thanks Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

MY20 Defender 110 SE P400 Eiger/Ebony
MY10 3.0 RRS TDv6 Fuji/Ebony/Anigre

Post #426811 Wed Jun 11 2014 10:58am
BKHK

Australia 

Euro cars don't always recognise LEDs and if they do they don't work properly. With the X6 I have to have a BMW "box" fitted on the boat trailer between the light harness and the plug. Its probably just a resistor or something but BMW wrap it in a sealed black plastic box and charge $400 for it .....and then fit a short cable so that it won't reach the car plug when its bolted to the trailer so one has to pay someone to extend it Evil or Very Mad

My brakes are manual but the car had to be coded when the tow hitch was fitted so it recognises it has a trailer when plugged in and parking sensors are disabled. In fact, the car now warns me if a light is out on the trailer with a message in the HUD.
If your tow hitch is OEM, it should work OK. If not, the car will need coding or whatever its called.

Post #426816 Wed Jun 11 2014 11:15am
Zilch

BK its in for its pre Cape York major service on the 24th so assume i could get it done by the dealer then if need be
but i have the factory fitted Towpack?? , i have looked at 4x4 equip website, being quoted about 300 bucks for the
convertor, just want to make sure that the vehicle will recognise the trailer is on, the brakes will work..

might have to give them a phone

Cheers Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

Post #426817 Wed Jun 11 2014 11:26am
garrycol

Australia 

There is lots about this on AULRO. I made up my own adapter so that LEDS can be used - a third of the price of the online item - also the system in the D3 is different to the D4 so also applied to the newer and later L320s.

The other issue is that the trailer wiring in the car is Euro layout where each tail light to the trailer has its own power supply where the aussie system has one power supply to the tail lights. The other tail light power supply lines up with the aussie trailer brake circuit.

If you just plug the trailer into an unmodified vehicle you have no trailer brakes but when you turn on the lights the trailer brakes will come on as it is being powered by one of the tailight circuits.

You really need to get the answers from the Aussie site.

Cheers

Garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #426825 Wed Jun 11 2014 12:31pm
Zilch

well according to the AULRO guru's the Linear Electronics LED Module adaptor is the way to go, they
have an unit that can be mounted in line to the 7 pin round at the back underneath the vehicle which
ensures the car recognises the trailer is attached as per normal, enabling all lights, sensors and
safety aids as desired, whether standard globes or LED based Thumbs Up Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

Post #427425 Tue Jun 17 2014 9:32am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1