RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Would You Break The Law To Allow Emergency Vehicle Through?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 
Would You Break The Law To Allow Emergency Vehicle Through?

This question has been asked on a caravan forum I use Confused

Apparently Shocked

Quote:
Red Traffic Lights: If you are stopped at red traffic lights, with an emergency vehicle behind who wants to get past and his way is blocked by your vehicle. You cannot legally advance through the red traffic stop light. Legally you should wait until the lights turn green, continue forward and pull over as soon as it is safe to do so, letting the emergency vehicle pass you.

Box Junctions: If you are stopped at a box junction, with an emergency vehicle behind who wants to get past and his way is blocked by your vehicle. You cannot legally enter the box junction until it is your turn.

Bus Lanes: The same rules apply, if you enter a bus lane to let an emergency vehicle past, you are liable to a fixed penalty fine.

I for one do everything safely possible to get out of the way (even kerbing my alloys Big Cry ) but many claim they follow the above to the letter - if this is true common sense is dead Rolling Eyes

Every time I hear a siren I am looking for it and a safe place to stop - at the back of my mind I am thinking that could be on the way to my family or friend Sad Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #426584 Sun Jun 08 2014 10:20pm
BKHK

Australia 

I stood a a city T junction intersection once and blocked the traffic on the green light to let traffic out from the side road where there was an ambulance a long way down a one way street with both lanes choked with traffic. I just did it, no one complained, and the ambos gave me a thumb up as they got out and on their way.

Post #426585 Sun Jun 08 2014 10:28pm
Stuart

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I am always bemused by the people who smash up kerbs in blind panic when a siren approaches. They are the same people that need thirty seconds recovery time after the siren has passed while I am having a "stressed Eric" vein shouting "Its gone...... MOVE" Rolling with laughter

Worse are the idiots that refuse to move when they sensibly could. They are the same twonks who sit in the outside lane at 69mph feeling righteous.

One must of course apply common sense. If that means pulling through a red light or onto a box junction, fine. It is our duty to reasonably make way for emergency vehicles. It might be our house on fire or our Granny who flopped over and called 999. Would you want some bloke in a silly hat and a Kia Cee'd stopping the fire engine getting to your house?

If caught on camera in a technical contravention of the law, it would be a silly judge who wouldn't send you home with a smile if the defence was moving out of the way for an emergency vehicle.

Now if only we could stop those blokes with tin houses behind their cars clogging up the roads............

Post #426596 Mon Jun 09 2014 1:11am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Don't forget wagons overtaking on dual carriageways, learner drivers and tractors Yawn

Hell why dont we just have special roads for people who are in a hurry and feel common mortals are a nuisance Whistle Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #426610 Mon Jun 09 2014 8:21am
Howler

England 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Buckingham Blue

Yes every time but! only if safe to do so.
Don't forget the emergency driver has a duty of care for other road users, and if the emergency vehicle approaches a junction/round about/traffic lights and there is absolutely no room to manoeuvre safely, then he/she must switch off their siren leave their lights on and wait like every one else, only when it is safe to do so carry on.
Tis better to arrive at the job than not too at all because you have had an accident and have to have the emergency services come to you! Embarassed

Regards

Howler

Post #426615 Mon Jun 09 2014 9:34am
JPR 1

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

I would move no matter what, like muddy said could be on the way to someone you know. Current Volvo XC90 R Design T8
Gone 2010 TDV8. Stornoway Grey
Gone VW R50, AUDI S8, ML320 Sport, FFRR V8
Stolen 2007 TDV8.

Post #426636 Mon Jun 09 2014 11:51am
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

Unfortunately common sense is in short supply i.e. Several Box junctions and traffic lights now have automatic cameras, you'd be done !

Post #426650 Mon Jun 09 2014 1:19pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

A computer might send out a standard letter if they didn't pick up on the Emergency service snapped at the same time - I would reply with an explanation and probably Dash cam footage Confused

If they decided to enforce I would be happy to go to court and defend my actions - as I said common sense Thumbs Up Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #426652 Mon Jun 09 2014 1:28pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

There is no defence I'm afraid. It's a simple "you ran the light" and the system doesn't allow you to do so to help an emergency vehicle.

The emergency services themselves tell you not to run red lights. For example, from [url]http://www.sussex.police.uk/help-centre/ask-us/roads,-driving-and-cycling/what-should-i-do-when-an-emergency-vehicle-(ambulance,-police-car-or-fire-engine)-is-flashing-its-blue-lights[/url]

Quote:
Remember: Emergency vehicle drivers are specially trained and have exemptions to the law that you don't have, so you must not go through red lights or speed to allow them to pass.

If you were able to find the actual emergency crew that you helped and if they would testify that you'd saved lives then you might get some leeway but even then I doubt it. The courts won't care.

The problem with getting points for running a red light is that insurance companies don't like it at all. The odd speeding fine isn't an issue these days but running red lights sets off the "dangerous driver, high risk" alarms. Premiums can be hit accordingly. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #426685 Mon Jun 09 2014 6:22pm
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

^^^ I agree.

But be very careful RRSTDV8 - Simple1 will be calling you a name that is the same as he called me (i.e. it sounds v. close to 'Banker') if you mention taking notice of Insurance Company activities Big Cry

Post #426696 Mon Jun 09 2014 7:35pm
RRSTDV8

Sticks and stones... Wink Rolling with laughter 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #426709 Mon Jun 09 2014 10:21pm
RRS Daz

Tough one but each situation is different.

I'd hate to be the guy sat blocking the way for the emergency services knowing every second count!

Post #426711 Mon Jun 09 2014 10:28pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Agreed ^^^^

I will still move to safe position to clear way and argue the toss if some jobsworth says I broke the law Rolling Eyes Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #426714 Mon Jun 09 2014 10:56pm
RRSTDV8

There's a difference between pulling over to let them through and running a red light. And the reason running red lights is considered dangerous is because sometimes people die when it happens. Enforcing that does not make someone a jobsworth - ask the emergency services how much fun it is to go to a RTC where someone is seriously hurt or killed. Some of these RTCs are at red lights when people have ignored the red.

At the end of the day, however, we each must make our own decisions and stand by them. If you run a red light (knowing that the law is against you) to let a blue lighter through and get a fine and points, don't moan about it afterwards. The emergency services won't thank you either... Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #426717 Tue Jun 10 2014 7:29am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

I think there is some confusion - I have never driven along a bus lane, across traffic at a junction or traffic lights - as I said safely is the main concern - but I have moved over and stopped on a bus lane especially when cars in front do to clear the way and a cars length across a stop line or more if other traffic stop and are waiting for emergency services to cross but they are trapped. If that breaks the law so be it Confused Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #426718 Tue Jun 10 2014 8:06am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>