RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Left slightly confused after RRS test drive
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Nigel Tracey

Switzerland 
Left slightly confused after RRS test drive

My current D4 is due to be changed this year and whilst I still love Disco's I find myself doing more long haul drives around Europe and find that it lacks some speed, also we now have a camping car for vacations so don't use it as much for towing or the 7 seats, hence I started to think RRS…..

Anyway I ended up test driving a SDV6 HSE on Saturday and whilst it's a rocket ship vs my Disco and it certainly handles much better I was rather disappointed by the interior and overall quality feel of the car, perhaps it's just me ?

The centre console lid seemed to be made of cheap plastic and felt very naf and the SAT NAV screen is still low res, on top of that I really did feel that the steering wheel was thin, cheap and neither sporty or quality.

Don't get me wrong I was impressed by the car but perhaps I was just expecting too much ?

I am testing a Macan soon so may be persuaded over to the dark side Censored

Post #425255 Sun May 25 2014 10:13pm
andman

Andorra 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

I sat in a Macan Turbo last week.... and boy oh boy did it feel special....shame it's just too small for my needs...

Having been loyal to RR for 30 years it's the first 4x4 that could possible tempt me away....and that's without even having driven it

If you don't need the size.....!!! 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's
2013 Porsche Boxster S 3.4
2014 Audi A3 S line Quattro
---------------------------------

Post #425312 Mon May 26 2014 7:06pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

I drove a Macan S round Porsche's test track in Leipzig a few weeks ago and it certainly is a great car and I expect the turbo even more so.

The build quality is there - though I did notice a rear window trim alignment problem but it's early days - and the performance too. My issue is that it looks just like a Cayenne/Q5/Q3 - at first glance, you cannot tell them apart. But, there's no doubting Porsche have a success on their hands and there was a real buzz in the factory building the thing. It is rather cramped in the back.

I hope the car will serve as a kick up the backside to LR to keep their products up to date and improve build quality but i expect they are in denial. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #425321 Mon May 26 2014 8:05pm
Nigel Tracey

Switzerland 

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

Got an email back from my local Porsche dealer today and the MD there is the guy that sold me my first D3 ! Perhaps it's fate……

I can get away with the size reduction but can I live without a LR in the family Big Cry

Might have to convince SWMBO that she needs a Defender 90 again Thumbs Up

Post #425332 Mon May 26 2014 9:40pm
Miles121

United Kingdom 

Hi Nigel

I understand what you mean, see my post below

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic36059.html

By the way i test drove the Cayenne Diesel S. If you can live with the physical dimensions it is a absolutely brilliant bit of kit. It is mind blowingly quick.

Post #425579 Thu May 29 2014 4:44pm
AA4X4

United Kingdom 

It's funny, I thought the steering wheel was way too thin & not sporty compared to the X5/Cayenne.

Yep the Macan does look the nuts - but then again I have had a few 911's so do like Porsche. I'am also soon will be in the market for a SUV but doubt the macan will be able to tow 2-3 tons of horses and disappointed RRS/RRS2 owners on here has steered me more towards X5 or Cayenne. Shame as i really wanted to like the RRS. 2001 Black Porsche 911 turbo
2010 Black BMW 325d Coupe
2006 Shogun (wifeys car)
2013 Honda Fireblade 1000RR Superbike

Post #425667 Fri May 30 2014 11:14am
Chrisr1806

England 

There will always be cars with faults, no matter what brand you choose. My car is completely fine and I love it! Arrived: MY16 A/B SDV6 in Aruba, Ivory interior, piano black trim, black panoramic roof, spare wheel, blind spot monitoring, mudlaps and more... Twisted Evil

Gone but not forgotten:
2014 RRS2 SDV6 HSE in Loire Blue
2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE in Santorini Black

Post #425691 Fri May 30 2014 3:01pm
Tom1s

Scotland 

I agree with Chrisr, having done almost 1500 miles now in my MY14 HSE, I just love it. I have never had a car including Porsche's, Audi's and BMWs, that I also enjoyed enormously BTW, that didn't have their own faults in some way... So for me it's another great car with a few niggles that don't, for me at least, spoil the overall experience of owning it.

Good luck with your choice MY14.5 RRS HSE SDV6 in Corris Grey, Ivory interior, piano black trim, privacy glass,
panoramic sunroof, Meridian Premium System, Parking Assist and full size spare

Post #425973 Mon Jun 02 2014 12:38pm
rangiejools

Australia 

No confusion for me. My SDV6 SE is fantastic. Can't believe how well it goes and handles. No quality problems. Seems very well made. I have on/off road pack (I think called Dynamic in UK) which improves handling even more. Just having trouble with seat..not enough lumbar support and no adjustment on the SE manual seats. Wish I had opted for the electric ones. Having Recaro bladder installed later this week which will hopefully fix it.
Will be testing off road on the farm soon. Might post some pics. SDV8 arrived and fantastic even the infotainment!
1983 2 door Range Rover ARB Bar X9000 winch ARB Rear Bar now semi retired.
Many big trips done in this one.
1982 Rangerover nearly restored.
22 Defender D250 with lots of stuff for outback touring
Nice 2013 Freelander TD4 manual (for daughter to learn on) with much better stereo compared with previous SD4 SE with Meridian which sounded bad!
2013 Land Rover Defender ute.

Post #426135 Tue Jun 03 2014 9:43am
andman

Andorra 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

I guess ... just to clarify......

I would have a Macan over the Evoque every minute of every hour of every day of the week.....

So comparing like for like ....
There is nothing but nothing that would get my money over the RRS... Still havenīt driven one... donīt need to, donīt care... I know iīll love it .. and it should be with me in 10 weeks 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's
2013 Porsche Boxster S 3.4
2014 Audi A3 S line Quattro
---------------------------------

Post #426154 Tue Jun 03 2014 1:08pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

So you don't like the Evoque then? LOL

I've been happy with mine though for some reason, they no longer do petrol in the coupe variant and since I don't do diesels, replacing the Evoque with another one is out of the question.

All I need now is for LR to pull the 5.0 SC from the UK market "for marketing reasons" and I will be stuffed, which is another way of saying picking up the phone to the Porsche dealer. Mark

Post #426163 Tue Jun 03 2014 5:09pm
Andrew

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Firenze Red

Hi Mark,
I know it's a different animal, but have you tried an F Type R Coupe?..

Andrew 5.0 Ltr Superchrged RRS2, Chile Red, Sideways out of junctions!
TDV8 HST Stornaway on a 08.. remapped.. now gone and replaced, was a mighty fine car..
4.2 SC First Edition when they first came out, quick car!

Post #426188 Tue Jun 03 2014 10:22pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Looks a real beast doesn't it? Haven't tried it but maybe this version will get some traction where the roadster seems to have failed. Mark

Post #426191 Tue Jun 03 2014 10:28pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Mark_N wrote:
So you don't like the Evoque then? LOL

I've been happy with mine though for some reason, they no longer do petrol in the coupe variant and since I don't do diesels, replacing the Evoque with another one is out of the question.

All I need now is for LR to pull the 5.0 SC from the UK market "for marketing reasons" and I will be stuffed, which is another way of saying picking up the phone to the Porsche dealer.

I've found a car for you Mark:

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  

Post #427731 Fri Jun 20 2014 10:02am
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Perfect! Mark

Post #427759 Fri Jun 20 2014 2:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>