RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Height with boot open.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

chesterfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White
Height with boot open.

Hi,

I wonder if anyone knows this information off hand, where to find it, or even doesnt mind getting a tape measure out Smile

Im looking to find the height of the new RRS with the tailgate fully open. I believe the height can be adjusted so that it stops at a particular point each time, but I am also wanting to know the full height of the vehicle if the tailgate is opened to its maximum (with suspension set at normal).

The reason I ask is that Im having anew garage constructed, and ideally it would be nice to be able to open the tailgate without fear of it hitting the ceiling. I could of course set the opening height to make sure this doesnt happen, but Im also thinking about of the vehicle has a battery reset or something which causes it to forget this setting.

Height of the ceiling on the present plan is 2600 mm would this be enough to accomodate the fully opened tailgate?

Many thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated.

Next option for me would be to pop to the local dealers and measure it Smile RRS 3.0D HSE 11MY - Fuji White, a few extras.

Post #422966 Thu May 01 2014 11:01am
RobF

United Kingdom 

If I understand the question right, then yes! Mine is 2130mm at the highest point.

Post #422973 Thu May 01 2014 12:52pm
chesterfield

Excellent, thanks Rob. Though just got the final quotes back on the extension build, and it may be cheaper to just move house! Laughing

At least this means that should little fingers decide to open the boot, its not going to smack the roof. I thought that having 800mm in hand or thereabouts would be enough.

Thanks again Smile RRS 3.0D HSE 11MY - Fuji White, a few extras.

Post #422984 Thu May 01 2014 1:41pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

most likely already thought of this,

But have you allowed adequate length of garage , to allow for the boot to swing out and upwards if your wanting to open the boot with the garage doors down Idea

Post #422985 Thu May 01 2014 1:43pm
chesterfield

6.5m in length, I worked on the possibility of getting Phantom in there at some point in the future, but then realised that should I be in a position to have one of those, I would have moved house by then. So I now have room for a nice workbench instead.

That is if we can beat the builders down on price, or she who must be obeyed does not have a productive evening on rightmove. Laughing RRS 3.0D HSE 11MY - Fuji White, a few extras.

Post #422995 Thu May 01 2014 3:14pm
andman

Andorra 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

Nearly come a cropper with that hydraulic boot on my old MY12 so many times....

Simple rule of thumb the longer the wider the higher the garage the better Very Happy

Still wish they would have an interior close button as well..... then it would be really useful !!

If safety was the issue surely itīs not too hard to fit a pressure sensor to detect an object in the way 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's
2013 Porsche Boxster S 3.4
2014 Audi A3 S line Quattro
---------------------------------

Post #423041 Thu May 01 2014 10:42pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

One thing that should be done is a connection between the rear parking sensors and the boot opener, so you can't press the button and open the boot into a brick wall.

Not that any right minded person would do that. Rolling Eyes 

Post #423046 Thu May 01 2014 10:47pm
andman

Andorra 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

I did once press the boot button accidentally while travelling at speed... and the boot didnīt open... so there must be a speed related sensor... 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's
2013 Porsche Boxster S 3.4
2014 Audi A3 S line Quattro
---------------------------------

Post #423048 Thu May 01 2014 11:00pm
RobF

United Kingdom 

If it does hit an object or similar, it does stop and reverse, but I'm not sure how much pressure it exerts before doing its thing. My main concern is a towbar mounted bike rack and accidentally pressing the button Big Cry

Post #423075 Fri May 02 2014 9:19am
matsoutback

Australia 

Old thread, but close to my query... Can anyone tell me how much space you need behind your RRS to open the tailgate without it hitting the garage door? I'm paranoid the first time I park in my garage (6.5m deep) I'll hit the button, then bang...

I had a piece of electrical tape on the floor I drove up to in the Touareg (front camera) to allow safe use of the tailgate. It's the only thing I would love from the FF RR, the split tailgate.. grrr 2017 MY17 SDV6 SE

Post #520599 Sat Mar 11 2017 1:53am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

If you have a reversing cam then one of the sets of colour warnings is when you pass the point where you can no longer open the boot safely without hitting what is behind the car. So if you drive into the garage and close the door then keeping your foot on the brake engage reverse the cam will let you know if you have enough clearance to open the boot. IIRC it is in the instruction manual that no sane man will ever read............ 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #520604 Sat Mar 11 2017 8:35am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
donny dog

United Kingdom 
Re: Height with boot open.

chesterfield wrote:
Hi,

I wonder if anyone knows this information off hand, where to find it, or even doesnt mind getting a tape measure out Smile

Im looking to find the height of the new RRS with the tailgate fully open. I believe the height can be adjusted so that it stops at a particular point each time, but I am also wanting to know the full height of the vehicle if the tailgate is opened to its maximum (with suspension set at normal).

The reason I ask is that Im having anew garage constructed, and ideally it would be nice to be able to open the tailgate without fear of it hitting the ceiling. I could of course set the opening height to make sure this doesnt happen, but Im also thinking about of the vehicle has a battery reset or something which causes it to forget this setting.

Height of the ceiling on the present plan is 2600 mm would this be enough to accomodate the fully opened tailgate?

Many thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated.

Next option for me would be to pop to the local dealers and measure it Smile

Don't forget that, if you have an up-and-over door, you need to be sure that the tailgate won't open underneath the door rather than in the free space beyond the door, especially as you will be likely to want the garage door open at the same time as accessing your boot. (If you have a power operated up-and-over door, the same applies even with the door closed).

Post #520605 Sat Mar 11 2017 9:09am
matsoutback

Australia 

Thanks Tim and "Dog"

I don't know if I should admit it, but I'm in the minority here, in that I read the manual. Thus far online version only and I've been looking at is dimensions and specifications for this info. Didn't think to look at the reversing lines in the reversing camera part of the manual. Embarassed

I have ordered with surround camera's because my experience with the Touareg was that is was a really worthwhile addition to parking aids, not just relying on beeping and a graphical display for parking was great. I hope it will be a similar experience with the RR Sport. Because I don't have the car for a few weeks, I would like to know the actual dimension required behind the vehicle.

My garage door is a sectional door. This type slides up and along the ceiling in 300mm continuous sections along a track. The ceiling height is reduced with it open, but luckily I have enough height according to the info in this thread.

Mat 2017 MY17 SDV6 SE

Post #520611 Sat Mar 11 2017 10:30am
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Mat, the surround camera is great! Well worth it for a car this size. You get an aerial view of the car which exactly shows your surroundings as well as the ability to look closely at any view you want, for example the wheels/kerb area when parking.

The parking aids are also excellent. When in slow manoeuvering, a 360 degree mimic shows you exactly which part of the car is at risk, as well as beeping an alarm. This is so much better than beeping alone where you may not always be sure which part of the car is close to something.

Post #520615 Sat Mar 11 2017 11:47am
matsoutback

Australia 

That's reassuring, thanks for that. 2017 MY17 SDV6 SE

Post #520618 Sat Mar 11 2017 12:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>