Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > TV Tuner Picture Good, No sound
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black
TV Tuner Picture Good, No sound

Hi

Need some help or advice just fitted a Gvif unit from Hid4U. Connected reversing camera which is a genuine L/R one fitted in Autobiography rear spoiler and it works perfectly. Connected a Alpine TV Tuner through the Gvif unit get good picture but absolutely no sound at all have tried it on all three inputs and it's exactly the same.

Don't think it is a faulty tuner as have Rosen 7900 rear entertainment system fitted and if I connect it through that both picture and sound work fine.

Its as if it's not connecting the audio to the car sound system, just wondering if it could be a faulty Gvif. Any help would be greatly appreciated if anybody has any ideas or suggestion as to what issue may be and how to resolve it.

Cheers
Col

Post #429099 Tue Jul 01 2014 10:16pm
samanthacoolbeans

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zermatt Silver

I've been researching these units ready to make a purchase and i believe that they only do video.
The audio must be wired into the AUX socket in the centre console.

x Currently enjoying 60mpg in a Audi A3 Sad Yawwwwn

Post #429107 Tue Jul 01 2014 11:25pm
Col

Hello Samantha

Yes you are right, I spoke to Hids4u and they say the units do not give audio output directly as plug and play.
However it is possible to wire the unit into into audio wiring of the car but they don't know how to do it and have no wiring diagrams and suggested I talk to a Audio/Vehicle electrician, as they mainly sell the unit to integrate the reversing camera. It's a shame there website description doesn't elaborate more and make it clear that is not exactly plug and play on the audio side of things.

In the mean time I will plug it in via Aux socket until I find out how to hard wire the unit in, hopefully someone on the site has already done this and can point me in the right direction or has some wiring diagrams etc.

Cheers
Col

Post #429161 Wed Jul 02 2014 6:36pm
PEACHY

England 

Very Happy how did you connect the GVIF to the rear spoiler camera - Thumbs Up It's something I would like to do - I have the both - GVIF & spoiler cam but at present it operates via a aftermarket reverse camera above the licence plate Crying or Very sad 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #429162 Wed Jul 02 2014 7:03pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Col

Hi

Couple of things first I have to admit I misunderstood slightly what the lad was saying at Hids4u with reference to AV output. Had another play and realised if I plugged a lead into the audio jack socket in the rear panel and connect the other end i.e. red and white rca connectors to the Audio output leads on the Gvif unit and connect the TV tuner A/V leads to the Gvif input leads it works fine through the AUX button. I guess I can hard-wire the lead into to rear socket or find which two to wires I need to connect to on the rear of the head-unit.

Another plus side is if I connect the Rosen Entertainment unit through the Gvif, I can do away with the FM module connection that Rosen use for the audio and it will connect through the AUX button on the head-unit instead which make it a lot better. Just goes to show i'm not a Audio guru but we got there.

Peachy

It's relatively simple to connect the camera provided it is the just the Rear View only camera and not the Surround View version. Obviously the part numbers are different but if you look at the connection on the rear of the camera the Rear view only one has two pins and a fakra/coaxial connector the Surround one has four pins so the difference is very obvious.

With regards to the leads you can buy a short fly-lead from L/R which pugs into the camera which you connect a live and earth to, I simply took the live feed from the reverse light feed on the rear lamp unit.
You also need a 3 to 4mtr coax cable with a fakra connector on one end which plugs into the fly-lead and a rca connector on the other which connect to camera input on Gvif unit.

Unfortunately the only coax lead I could find like that are only around 500mm long so you have to do it with that and use a male /female fakra extension lead which you can get in various lengths or alternatively you could cut one end off the extension lead and and solder a rca connector on to it which is what I intend to make it look a bit more professional when I have time.

With the exception of the L/R lead I got the rest of it from Amazon although they are probably available on e-bay.

I will look for the part number for the L/R lead as I ended up with the wrong one first time. As with most L/R bits they are not exactly cheap and I think it was around £45.00 but it does make a neat job and look factory fit.

Hope all that makes some kind of sense if you need any more info just let me know.

Cheers
Col

Post #429174 Wed Jul 02 2014 9:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1