RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Faults & Fixes > MY 11 battery going flat over night
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

SturgeRRS

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Stornoway Grey
MY 11 battery going flat over night

Hi guys, I know this subject has been covered a lot here but mostly for the older cars with tail gate switches going duff. As my car is the face lift, can anyone give me some pointers?
On Friday morning my wife got into the car and off she went down to our local tip to drop off some rubbish that the poor overworked dust men refused to take. Ten minutes or so later I get a call saying she couldn't start the car as the battery was flat. I jumped in my van and off the the rescue. What a palaver that was, my new Vito has the battery under the seat and I wasn't aware, as I've never had to jump start anyone that you do it from under the bonnet. I digress. We'll connected her up and started first time, sorted. She drives it for the rest of the day and no further problems, great!
Next morning, nothing! HELP!! I have stuck my battery conditioner/charger on it over night but really need a permanent fix... Big Cry MY 11 RRS Luxury Stornoway Grey Ivory/Black leather contrast stitching Logic7 side steps roof DVD system for the grand daughter. Mercedes SL500 for the summer. Vito Sport X for work. Gone to many to list but what larks

Post #420433 Sun Apr 06 2014 11:54am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I'd take it and get the battery and alternator checked, or if your covered, get L/R assist to come out and check it for you, they should be able to detect a power drain on the vehicle should it have one.

Post #420442 Sun Apr 06 2014 1:38pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SturgeRRS

Thanks Ady, update so far. Went out this afternoon and checked the battery and it seemed fully charged on the charger. Started sort of ok and I ran it for a while, so good so far. Turned it off and got me multimeter out to check voltage, started at 12.79 and slowly dropped to 12.6 ermm. My missis came out and put my granddaughter in the back and click click click. Nothing! Checked voltage, 10.5. So, I'm thinking it's the battery, what a job it is to get that out! Anyway, I just happen to have my old battery from my transporter sitting on the floor of the garage and in a stroke of luck it's exactly the same as the land rover one, same size make and ampage. Bolt it all up and hey presto starts first time. Now the bad bit, it started with a bit of a clack and I have now got a engine management light on the dash that won't clear, all the other faults that came up like suspension etc cleared. Any ideas? I've read somewhere you have to do a reset..... MY 11 RRS Luxury Stornoway Grey Ivory/Black leather contrast stitching Logic7 side steps roof DVD system for the grand daughter. Mercedes SL500 for the summer. Vito Sport X for work. Gone to many to list but what larks

Post #420446 Sun Apr 06 2014 2:26pm
SturgeRRS

We'll looks like everything is back to normal now, no lights on dash and now warnings. Will get my self a new battery but think the original was always a bit suspect from the start. 10 days out of warrantee is a joke! The one that's on there now came of my 05 transporter and only got replaced due to the fact it was a bit lazy when it was really cold. I wonder if Varta make battery's of a lower spec for some manufacturers. Hohum..... Confused MY 11 RRS Luxury Stornoway Grey Ivory/Black leather contrast stitching Logic7 side steps roof DVD system for the grand daughter. Mercedes SL500 for the summer. Vito Sport X for work. Gone to many to list but what larks

Post #420454 Sun Apr 06 2014 3:22pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

Pleased you got it sorted, lets hope thats all that fails since its just out of warranty. I would consider getting an extended warranty if you intend keeping the car for a while. Wink

Post #420459 Sun Apr 06 2014 4:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SturgeRRS

I have just renewed my extended warranty but they haven't rang me back for the £950 off my card. Don't think batteries are covered anyways. I'm trying to buy a new Varta battery at the moment, makes me laugh! You put the Varta code in and it comes up with a battery and when you check if it fits your car from the drop down box it says it doesn't. Down loaded the Varta app and it gives me black, blue and silver. The one I have is a 585 104 RA which is a 90A with 950 Confused Confused CCA and people on hear say you can't use a bigger one, say the silver dynamic 610 402 092 which is 110Ah but only 920 CCA. I seem to remember that bigger was better back in the day..... Confused MY 11 RRS Luxury Stornoway Grey Ivory/Black leather contrast stitching Logic7 side steps roof DVD system for the grand daughter. Mercedes SL500 for the summer. Vito Sport X for work. Gone to many to list but what larks

Post #420461 Sun Apr 06 2014 5:14pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

Maybe it was back then, but with the temperamental electrics on a RRS, i would only fit a L/R approved battery.

Post #420471 Sun Apr 06 2014 6:29pm
SturgeRRS

I will give my dealer a ring in the morning and see how much they warn for one. Thanks for the reply Ady Thumbs Up

Lee MY 11 RRS Luxury Stornoway Grey Ivory/Black leather contrast stitching Logic7 side steps roof DVD system for the grand daughter. Mercedes SL500 for the summer. Vito Sport X for work. Gone to many to list but what larks

Post #420473 Sun Apr 06 2014 6:32pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

Not a problem, it might be worth getting your alternator checked though, just incase. Thumbs Up

Post #420475 Sun Apr 06 2014 6:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1