RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > RRS2 OR X5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

AA4X4

United Kingdom 
RRS2 OR X5

Smile Hi Folks, I know this maybe a daft question on a RRS web site; but hope you guys & girls may offer some comparative advice etc.

I'am struggling with my decision on either X5 or RRS2 HSE Dynamic. I could get a well spec'd X5 4.0d pushing out 318bhp & plenty of change for the same price as an HSE Dynamic. The X5 just feels that bit more sporty & less of a truck. And what is really niggling me & I know it might be nit-picking is that IMO the X5 has a much better sat nav & infotainment system & the steering wheel on the RRS feels just a wee bit big to be 'sporty'. Will these little niggles get to me after awhile or is the RRS2 so much better. As many of the reviews say - there is just something about a RRS.

I do like the 'go anywhere' image of the RRS. But realistically, it will mainly live on tarmac with a few horse shows during the year towing the horse box on grass fields; so not exactly 'off road'. But there is a certain kind of image with the RRS. 2001 Black Porsche 911 turbo
2010 Black BMW 325d Coupe
2006 Shogun (wifeys car)
2013 Honda Fireblade 1000RR Superbike

Last edited by AA4X4 on Mon Mar 31 2014 4:55pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #419856 Mon Mar 31 2014 4:47pm
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Q7 Question Whistle

I recently posted similar re the RRS2 and Q7 Laughing

We know the answer is RRS ...

Post #419857 Mon Mar 31 2014 4:53pm
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

You sound as if you want to convince yourself to buy an RRS !

I've had both and the X5 will do everything you need efficiently and probably more reliably to the extent it can be boring so for what its worth.....

The interior of the RRS is a bit more 'interesting', in my opinion, tending towards the classical almost oldy worldly in the use of leather and wood (albeit imitation) and with armchair comfort the quirky lighting etc attempt to give it a modern style but, IMO has got a bit mixed up to the extent I think its almost tacky. The X5, on the other-hand, seems too plastic for the price but the ergonomics are good and, as you say, the Sat Nav and entertainment controls are better that the touchscreen of the RRS, especially on the move. The exterior of the MY14 RRS is a bit too close to Evoque styling for my own taste making it seem too squat and a bit nose heavy but no doubt it'll grow on me.

Compared to the X5 the RRS drives as a bit of a lump.

X5 = better driving experience & reliability, economics c.f. RRS = sense of occasion at a price.

Post #419859 Mon Mar 31 2014 5:42pm
362bkr

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

If you drive both the answer will be obvious ............

Post #419861 Mon Mar 31 2014 5:56pm
Chrisr1806

England 

RRS every time. Thumbs Up Arrived: MY16 A/B SDV6 in Aruba, Ivory interior, piano black trim, black panoramic roof, spare wheel, blind spot monitoring, mudlaps and more... Twisted Evil

Gone but not forgotten:
2014 RRS2 SDV6 HSE in Loire Blue
2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE in Santorini Black

Post #419862 Mon Mar 31 2014 6:07pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

drdelrrs wrote:

Compared to the X5 the RRS drives as a bit of a lump.

RRS2 drives a bit like a lump, not the one I drove! Mr. Green 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #419866 Mon Mar 31 2014 6:42pm
Renaco

Germany 

sorry, but there is just one question:

do you want to be a BMW X5 Driver or a Range Rover Sport Driver?

Both are great cars and the pros and cons are levelling everything out, at the end you always could say to yourself, you have choosen the right package... Wink

Post #419869 Mon Mar 31 2014 7:15pm
Cooperman

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I have had 7 BMWs - most recently a 335d coupe that got replaced by a RRS HSE with a few nice toys. Much as I love bimmers, recent styling of many models is awful IMO - new X5 being case in point. Infotainment on the RRS is below-par, but it works and the build quality is good but not Germanic. It's a big old bus, but so is the X5. And as for power, it's got plenty - especially when mated to its superb gearbox. Do you really need 318 bhp in a big barge? I drove a supercharged V8 with torque vectoring etc. on the track at Gaydon and it blew my mind - if you want a sporty steer then get the HSE Dynamic. Oh, and Mrs Cooperman absolutely loves being chauffeured in the Rangie. So, 5 months in would I defect back to BMW for an X5 - 100% no. For the new M4 - absolutely! Have you seen the group test (RRS, X5, Cayenne) in this month's Car magazine? RRS takes top spot but it sounds close and the X5 has it's good points. Ultimately, for me, the X5 is an ugly duckling and you can't have 22s! The Rangie has a great sense of ocassion and you would be supporting British manufacturing. I reckon you would be happy with either. Decisions, decisions ....

Post #419871 Mon Mar 31 2014 7:26pm
malcolmw

United Kingdom 

I have had 5 x X5s of various models prior to getting my RRS. The last one I had was a 40d Xdrive.

I find the RRS to have better comfort and ride quality than the X5 especially with the big/low profile tyres. The standard Dakota leather seats on the X5 are not as nice as the Oxford leather in the RRS.

The X5s also all seemed to wear out tyres unevenly with the outer edges of the fronts and inner edges of the rears wearing down first.

The other big difference I find is in the mpg. On the same mixed road journeys with little motorway use, the X5 got about 26mpg. I get 34mpg in the RRS SDV6.

They are both good cars but I am very impressed with the RRS now that the latest models have fixed the floaty ride and are more secure on corners. Of course, if you want to go off road there is no contest. Regards

Malcolm

Post #419872 Mon Mar 31 2014 7:33pm
AA4X4

United Kingdom 

Thanks folks - great comments & pretty much agree with all of them. Makes it even harder Smile Yep I think there will always be a little voice saying "you should have gone for the RRS". 2001 Black Porsche 911 turbo
2006 Shogun (wifeys car)

Post #419902 Tue Apr 01 2014 9:26am
AA4X4

United Kingdom 

Cooperman wrote:
I have had 7 BMWs - most recently a 335d coupe that got replaced by a RRS HSE with a few nice toys. Much as I love bimmers, recent styling of many models is awful IMO - new X5 being case in point. Infotainment on the RRS is below-par, but it works and the build quality is good but not Germanic. It's a big old bus, but so is the X5. And as for power, it's got plenty - especially when mated to its superb gearbox. Do you really need 318 bhp in a big barge? I drove a supercharged V8 with torque vectoring etc. on the track at Gaydon and it blew my mind - if you want a sporty steer then get the HSE Dynamic. Oh, and Mrs Cooperman absolutely loves being chauffeured in the Rangie. So, 5 months in would I defect back to BMW for an X5 - 100% no. For the new M4 - absolutely! Have you seen the group test (RRS, X5, Cayenne) in this month's Car magazine? RRS takes top spot but it sounds close and the X5 has it's good points. Ultimately, for me, the X5 is an ugly duckling and you can't have 22s! The Rangie has a great sense of ocassion and you would be supporting British manufacturing. I reckon you would be happy with either. Decisions, decisions ....

Good comments. Had a glimpse at the review in Car mag. The review seemed to pretty much rule out the Cayenne but was a very close run thing between the RRS & X5, with RRS winning the battle Smile 2001 Black Porsche 911 turbo
2006 Shogun (wifeys car)

Post #419934 Tue Apr 01 2014 4:26pm
Beancounter_74

England 

This might help with your decision Whistle Rolling with laughter
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic35465.html ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #419945 Tue Apr 01 2014 5:20pm
362bkr

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

Well that settles it then ! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #419955 Tue Apr 01 2014 6:43pm
Tboner

England 

wait till a tiny bit of snow on the floor, X5 leave on drive , RRS2 even with it's crap standard tyres will still work, well as long as you do not try to stop it lol 2014 5.0SC AB

Gone 5.0 SC

Post #420070 Wed Apr 02 2014 7:18am
Siberianfox

England 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Siberian Silver

And Beancounter would know..... He's a typical BMW driver.

Beancounter: "Erm foxy what does this thing do?"

Foxy: "yes Beancounter, that's your indicator".

Rrs all the time for me. !!!!

Foxy x Smile

Post #420077 Wed Apr 02 2014 9:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>