RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > RRS2 vs Q7
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
RRS2 vs Q7

Probably been done on here numerous times I am sure... ?

I am due a change later this year and currently sit in my 3rd RRS. Before going for the 4th I thought I ought to browse around again.

Viewed both last weekend and test drove the Q7 briefly - I am due to have both on Sunday for the day for a more thorough drive and comparison.

I am sure others have done this or similar, what were your thoughts and findings please Question

My initial thoughts on the Q7 were that the drive was impressive but the dash cluttered, key to start and stop as well as keyless with the stop and start buttons, paddles and gear shift to change up and down - why? You only put one handle on a door...? Not sure about the looks but is that because of my RRS bias??

Appreciate comments Exclamation Question Confused Wink Very Happy ( I know it is a RRS forum but others must have been through it Laughing )

Post #418093 Mon Mar 17 2014 6:53pm
SPX

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Java Black

I went from a 2006 RRS TDV6 to a 2007 Q7 4.2 TDi and then came back to a 2008 RRS TDV8 HST so, even though mine weren't brand new, I think I might be able to give an informed opinion...

The Q7 is quite a 'stiff' car to own, and by that I mean that the ride is quite hard, the interior feels hard to touch and it goes round sweeping bends 'stiffly'. The 4.2 V8 TDi was a joy though, really impressed, and it's probably the only thing I miss about the car along with slightly more legroom in the rear for the children.

I normally swap vehicles every six month or so and found myself staring at RR Sports as they went the opposite way on the motorway, it's a funny feeling to describe.

On paper the Q7 should have trounced the RRS but nothing quite feels the same after you've driven and owned one, they get under your skin; the way they glide, the way I feel the same after a 300 mile round trip as when I set off, that knowing nod of approval from my peers that I just don't get in another vehicle.

Will I own another Q7 in the future? Possibly.

Will own more RRS's in the future? Definitely.

(I also was never let out at junctions in the Q7 Big Cry )

Post #418094 Mon Mar 17 2014 7:12pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Went through this late last year (had 2009 RRS and test drove 2012 Q7, 2013 SQ5 and 2011 X5). I will restrict my post to Q7 which was great, had air suspension so was quite comfortable but not as much as even my old RRS. 3rd row seating for occasional use was a big plus. Price was significantly lower than the SDV6 RRS which was the model I was comparing against. The Q7 was a regular 3.0 so the performance didn't feel any special TBH. I felt the seats, driving position and view of the road was better in RRS than Q7. Also thought the interior and looks of the RRS were better. I don't tow and didn't intend to take the new car offroad otherwise the decision would have been much easier (RRS all the way). Decided in favour of RRS in the end anyway and love it Thumbs Up

Post #418096 Mon Mar 17 2014 7:23pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

If i was to move away from L/R then i would consider an Audi SQ5 ABT tuned Thumbs Up

Post #418119 Mon Mar 17 2014 9:09pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The Red One

United Kingdom 

I understand the Q7 is undergoing a massive overhaul later this year, which is why you will see the dealers offering £6k off the new prices and also they have brought out some fully spec'd special editions. I test drove the 3ltr TDi, which was not a patch on my MY12 RRS HSE, but to compare it to the new RRS2 - absolutely no contest, RRS every time.
I found the Q7 quite old and dated inside, obviously why they are bringing out a new model soon, but you do get a lot for your money, but RRS for me.
Enjoy the test drives, I am sure you will see the difference. Thumbs Up

Post #418121 Mon Mar 17 2014 9:23pm
RRS Daz

I've been in awd mans q7 and the difference is the q7 feels more tight on road but I bet it's not as good off road.

I suppose it depends on you main focus.

The mpg on the q7 was better than the tdv8 but the punch wasn't as good out of the q7.

I thought the slope of the windscreen on the q7 was too much so I felt squashed in v's the sports more upright windscreen.

But of course that wasn't the rrs2.

Post #418125 Mon Mar 17 2014 9:37pm
Macdaddy

Have you thought about the X5?

I thought the X5 was a better drive than the Q7 and in terms of behaving more like a car for a big bus than the RRS however I'd always be looking at RRS's as they drive by saying "ooh thats nice" hence we stayed with another RRS.

That said the engine in the X5 is better than anything LR currently have. (diesel)

The brand new RRS is better again but having just used that off road can't really comment on its on road capability. TDV8 RRS HST in Java - Gone
TDV6 RRS Autobiography in Bali blue - Gone
TDV6 RRS Autobiography Dynamic - Current

Post #418169 Tue Mar 18 2014 8:50am
MAW

Thank you all for the points - resonating already

SPX - I found the ride stiffer in the brief drive I had of the Q7 - less 'boaty' than the RRS and it was tight in corners. On looks the RRS2 still has me but 4 in a row ?!? The MY12 did look so dated after looking at both. Laughing

fkarim - some of the Q7 interior didn't appeal initially and does look cluttered and dated, seating position had the feel of a car rather than 4x4. The intelligent air suspension seemed like a positive.

Need to watch that Ady and look into it.

The Red One - dealer claiming 7 month lead-time - I wasn't aware of an overhaul - it does feel a little dated and so the re-launched version may address some concerns and make it a fairer fight.

Daz - Seating position, clutter and dated feel where the first impressions of the Q7 but mechanically I thought it competed - not driven the RRS2 yet though. Mainly on road, some off road and definite towing capability needed for me.

Macdaddy - I have but didn't get as far as opening it up - externally it appeals less, not got as far as Porsche yet either.

From a distance I had RRS2 reservations as it looked smaller almost Evoque like and was swaying towards FF. Having got in the showroom at the weekend the RRS2 is back in favour.

Big question is, time for a change? Change for sake of change? or can I be unbiased on a comparison when considering RRS # 4, giving the Q7 a chance when instinct tells me the RRS2 will win hands down.... GF is convinced I have already decided RRS2 Laughing

Thanks again all Thumbs Up

Post #418205 Tue Mar 18 2014 12:09pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

TBH i think if you get anything oter than a RRS you will be kicking yourself and always find yourself looking at RRS as they pass you, wishing you had got another. It will be a very expensive mistake if you pick the wrong vehicle. Banging Head Deep down you know your other half is right but you darn't admit it to her... Rolling with laughter

Post #418217 Tue Mar 18 2014 12:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MAW

Rolling with laughter

Oh I do and have told her Laughing Just going through the motions Whistle

Thing is because the RRS2 is £X amount and the Q7 £Y she spec'd up the Q7 with £4.5K of RSE to spend the same amount Exclamation Question Exclamation Shocked

Post #418229 Tue Mar 18 2014 1:36pm
JPR 1

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Bought the Tee Shirt Maw, and I always came back to RRS, nothing compares for the overall package both on and off road. Current Volvo XC90 R Design T8
Gone 2010 TDV8. Stornoway Grey
Gone VW R50, AUDI S8, ML320 Sport, FFRR V8
Stolen 2007 TDV8.

Post #418243 Tue Mar 18 2014 2:21pm
MAW

^^ Many thanks Thumbs Up

Post #418269 Tue Mar 18 2014 3:58pm
MAW

Out of interest how many RRS's have people had?

I'll kick it off, Silver 55 plate, Black 58, Grey 61 ...

Post #418271 Tue Mar 18 2014 3:59pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Gone: Santorini Black 09 TDV6 HSE
Current: Orkney Grey 13 SDV6 HSE Black Edition

Post #418277 Tue Mar 18 2014 4:24pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Grey MY10 Hse, 2 Black MY13 BEd's Cool

Looked at Q5 - didn't like it inside, test drove X5 - was like sitting on wooden bench in canteen but quick Twisted Evil Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #418278 Tue Mar 18 2014 4:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>