RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Thieving bas****s
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>

simple1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Cairns Blue

Paul, phone your local Halfords, ours has a guy who does etching/screen repairs in their carpark every Saturday Thumbs Up not that I ever go to Halfords Embarassed 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀
TDV8 Sport HSE...... Gone. Loved it but it didn't love me!!
Now rolling in MY10 Fullfat TDV8 Vogue. Slammed it to go round corners🙈
Cruising daily #56 mph in a Volvo V8. 😱
Lots of other toys in the cupboard...😜

Post #418176 Tue Mar 18 2014 9:12am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Muddy, in one instance, the scumbags smashed the passanger window and popped the bonnet, as the alarms on the RRS are so quiet, nobody heard it go off. Twisted Evil

Post #418180 Tue Mar 18 2014 9:33am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Cheers Simon Thumbs Up

I think this will hopefully put Censored off and they will go for one without vin displayed. Shouldn't look too bad either Confused

Vin marking to grille will need to be on top or back I think as would look Censored on front Embarassed Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #418181 Tue Mar 18 2014 9:34am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Ady 555 wrote:
Muddy, in one instance, the scumbags smashed the passanger window and popped the bonnet, as the alarms on the RRS are so quiet, nobody heard it go off. Twisted Evil

Shocked

I thought the front windows were laminated and hard as hell to smash Big Cry

Are laser sighted automatic weapons on roof reasonable force to protect lights Whistle Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #418182 Tue Mar 18 2014 9:39am
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Ady 555 wrote:

Get the alarm to use the main horn

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic6111.html

Thumbs Up

Securing the grille wouldn't stop them from stealing the lights. Only means they wouldnt have a grille to sell on too

Best bet is to jam the headlight locking mechanism with a self tapping screw, or similar. But then you run the risk of them damaging the bonnet, trying to get them off...

Post #418183 Tue Mar 18 2014 10:00am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Good tip Mikey, ref the horn. Thanks. Thumbs Up

Ive just had a look at mine, and yes you could secure the lights with self tappers, you could also secure the grill too, but as you say, will this encourage them to cause more damage trying to get your lights.

Post #418185 Tue Mar 18 2014 10:20am
JPR 1

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Those EBay lights have suddenly been ended by the seller??? Current Volvo XC90 R Design T8
Gone 2010 TDV8. Stornoway Grey
Gone VW R50, AUDI S8, ML320 Sport, FFRR V8
Stolen 2007 TDV8.

Post #418186 Tue Mar 18 2014 10:39am
Paulcp

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Atacama Sand

You can still buy self etching kits (plenty on eBay) although no idea what the quality is like these days. Used one over 25 years ago & that was ok but etching on plastic may be different to etching on glass.

Looking at the overall situation this morning I am fast coming to the conclusion that any attempts to further secure the grill & lights will likely result in substantial damage to the vehicle if anyone trying to steal them persists in trying Crying or Very sad . Hence etching or security tagging enabling identification afterwards may be my preferred way forward. Trouble is this also assumes that people buying knicked parts have a conscience. Rolling Eyes

Post #418189 Tue Mar 18 2014 10:51am
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

JPR 1 wrote:
Those EBay lights have suddenly been ended by the seller???

could it be that they was reading about it on here Confused

Post #418190 Tue Mar 18 2014 10:55am
PWW

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Might be worth looking into one of the micro dot tagging systems.
Mind you would only deter if they clock the window stickers.
On the head lamp outside fitting there is two slots, if you loop a cable tie through these with the head part across the top of the leaver it helps prevent the tab being lifted but as mentioned most likely will result in bodywork damage.

Post #418191 Tue Mar 18 2014 10:57am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Unfortunately I suspect the Censored read these forums and probably thought what a muppet he was for listing the day after he nicked them Rolling Eyes

I guess someone who isn't bright enough to get a job and work for the nice things in life would be thick enough to post them on ebay the day after with location they were stolen in his address. Then again they get away with this day in day out so why worry Evil or Very Mad

I had a trailer stolen a few years back, reported it to police then heard nothing. Few months later saw it in a garden not far away so rang the police and waited for them. They took it away to establish ownership even though it was a German import (bought ex forces) and I had given them lots of details to identify it. It sat at the back of the police station in an unsecured car park for ages until they rang to say I could collect it but they were taking no action as culprit claimed he bought it for cash in the pub. One of the vehicles at the address I recognised as a customer who had visited my premises and would have seen the trailer. The trailer was behind the house/padlocked gates and chained to a tree with a motorcycle chain Shocked

I agree Ady they may damage bonnet but if they are visibly marked with Vin and screws used the lazy Censored will find another vehicle. The alternative is to let them get away with it by making it easy Confused

How about this sort of thing http://www.carsecuritymarking.co.uk/acatal...ching.html Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #418193 Tue Mar 18 2014 11:04am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Paulcp wrote:
You can still buy self etching kits (plenty on eBay) although no idea what the quality is like these days. Used one over 25 years ago & that was ok but etching on plastic may be different to etching on glass.

Trouble is this also assumes that people buying knicked parts have a conscience. Rolling Eyes

Plastic caravan windows are etched now and look ok Thumbs Up

The website I posted does plastic and glass kits so ideal Cool

Also gives police evidence when it comes down to your word against the Censored and they can trace the original owner form the vin if they catch them Twisted Evil Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #418199 Tue Mar 18 2014 11:47am
sparky8181

England 

Guys,

I'm all for people posting ways to make our cars safer from the thieving scumbags, but lately there seems to have been a load of posts/comments about "how easy it is", which just seems crazy to me!

Whilst I'm sure they aren't the brightest of people I'm sure they use the internet and forums such as this and all these comments do is encourage them to move onto the next thing that has been highlighted as "easy to steel"

Unless its a preventative measure that's being posted about, I just don't think these kind of posts do any of us any favours, and maybe a little bit more thought should be put into before telling the world just how easy it is!

Post #418204 Tue Mar 18 2014 12:09pm
Paulcp

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Atacama Sand

Thanks Muddy, since they have a kit suitable for plastic I'll give it a go. (the one on ebay i was looking at doesnt mention plastic suitability)

Just been looking at the lights and I think it can be done discreetly enough.

May also double up and put some tamper proof security labels on the top of the lights and grill -

Last edited by Paulcp on Tue Mar 18 2014 12:36pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #418209 Tue Mar 18 2014 12:18pm
mad-dafty

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Stornoway Grey

I agree with Sparky wholeheartedly, said much the same myself on a thread regarding the rear lights. Thumbs Up 2010 RRS TDV6 3.0 Autobiography - Stornoway Grey
2006 RRS TDV6 2.7 HSE -Java Black
2008 BMW 3 Series 2.l
2006 BMW 5 series 2.l

Post #418211 Tue Mar 18 2014 12:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>