RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > RRS tdv8, facelift or not?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Mattjhunt

England 
RRS tdv8, facelift or not?

Hi, new to rrsport, great site, I'm currently in the market for a lowish mileage tdv8 and want to know if I should pay the extra for the facelift (2010 on) or go for an earlier (2008 ish). Are there differences other than the looks/style I should be aware of? Are there downsides to either version? Also, anything I should know from experts on here to help me buy a good tdv8 would be appreciated. Thanks.

Post #418032 Mon Mar 17 2014 10:06am
myfirstrrs

United Kingdom 

Hi Matt,
I have just gone through the same dilemma and this weekend bought a 2010 car with not too many miles and loads of extras. It was a tough call as it is an obscene amount of money for me to spend but I was also thinking about resale value in the future. I have a sneaky suspciion that a facelifted TDV8 could become a desirable car for a small but knowledgable niche market in the future but maybe I am a bit delusional and just trying to justify the cost.

I am hoping that someone that knows more about these cars can tell us what changed in mid 2009 apart from the interior.

Post #418039 Mon Mar 17 2014 10:35am
simple1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Cairns Blue

Go for the latest car you can afford. There are very few changes apart from cosmetic but my search leads me to think paying the extra is worthwhile. Late low miles and sunroof are my criteria and rare as hens teeth for some reason. Toyed with SDV6 at suggestion of other old school members here but just can't get used to the lack of punch I'm used to. I know it is engine snobbery but I suspect the V6 will struggle with heavy tintent, I'm used to blowing rep man away with tintent or race shuttle on the back and not struggling up Cornish lanes with 7% hill Whistle 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀
TDV8 Sport HSE...... Gone. Loved it but it didn't love me!!
Now rolling in MY10 Fullfat TDV8 Vogue. Slammed it to go round corners🙈
Cruising daily #56 mph in a Volvo V8. 😱
Lots of other toys in the cupboard...😜

Post #418043 Mon Mar 17 2014 10:54am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

If you can afford a facelift TDV8 then buy one. The interior is nicer. Be aware that facelift cars seem to be targeted by scrotes stealing lights (and other bits too it seems) in recent weeks.

As always, buy on condition. If possible buy from a LR dealership - you'll probably pay a bit more but it will come with LR warranty which is pretty comprehensive (especially if it's the Approved Warranty).

On test drive, make sure that everything works. There are lots of electrical goodies so test everything. Test the air suspension will change to each level and then do it again. If it struggles to lift a second time then that indicates a tired compressor. Make sure there are no clunks when driving. This is usually the anti-roll bar bushes but could be lower arms at the front. Haggle accordingly. Change it in to low range and ensure it is still smooth and noise free (50m forwards and backwards would be enough).

Ensure the service history is complete. It should have a stamp every 12 months or 15k miles whichever is sooner. Any gaps should be cause for concern. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #418070 Mon Mar 17 2014 1:57pm
RRS Daz

Ill go against the grain here and say buy the one that's the best deal.

If you spend 20k on a pre facelift or 30k on a facelift which will lose the most?

I do prefer the facelift dash etc but didn't want to spend another 10k for it, plus I found a very nice forum owned pre facelift tdv8.

Post #418075 Mon Mar 17 2014 3:57pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I suppose it depends how long you intend to keep it. If you're planning on several years of ownership then the nicer interior might be preferable. If you're only keeping it for 6 months then saving the difference might be more important to you.

I chose TDV8 over 2.7 because I keep cars for a reasonable period and I knew I'd always regret buying the less grunty version. If I'd planned only a short period of RRS ownership I wouldn't have been so worried. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #418080 Mon Mar 17 2014 5:26pm
Mattjhunt

England 

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm planning on keeping this car for a long time. I'm currently having to decide whether its worth the extra cash for the facelift. They certainly look better inside and out but is that only difference? If so I may as well save myself some cash and get the older version. I am tempted to go to land rover themselves as that warranty is tempting but they are sooo much more expensive, though it removes a lot of the risk element a bit. Think I'm leaning toward a pre facelift.

Post #418085 Mon Mar 17 2014 6:01pm
Tboner

England 

2008/09 HST if you can find one may be a cheaper option if not the 2010 onwards is the way to go 2014 5.0SC AB

Gone 5.0 SC

Post #418087 Mon Mar 17 2014 6:04pm
Andi

United Kingdom 

Having only had my 10 plate for a few weeks, I would recommend the dealer route. It's just so much easier when things need sorting. They are quick to help as they sold you the car, the warranty works seamlessly as they deal with it all the time.
As for the newer version, it is very smart inside. The dash looks modern and clear and the infotainment is a step up.
Yes, it costs a bit more, but, it's a TDV8 with the new inside, need I say more...

Post #418089 Mon Mar 17 2014 6:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1