Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Easy Updates?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

mse

United Kingdom 

Chrisr1806 wrote:
mse wrote:
Stop start is awful and when I tried it on mine, increased fuel consumption.

I turn it off every trip, so can understand the desire to turn it off.

What's so wrong with it? It seems fine on mine!

Absolutely everything.

Turning off when you don't want it or it shouldn't, has to be the biggest issue...but it just is a senseless thing that costs me money by using more fuel

Quote:
Given the reliability of LR's starter motors I wonder if the 14MY cars with stop/start have higher quality starter solenoids, motors

Agree

I was always taught you should never turn a car on and off in short bursts and frequently.

Certainly on the disco...I also have a second battery to either help or replace...I bet the sports have 2 batteries too Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #416553 Tue Mar 04 2014 6:49pm
peanutbob

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Yes, the RRS has 2 batteries, with the auxiliary battery in the rear off side compartment.

The eco auto stop start is imo an absolute pain. Last weekend I forgot to turn it off after moving off. On an uphill T Junction, where the oncoming traffic from right to left is moving fairly swiftly, I have to look for a gap of about 75 yards to get in the lane. Just at the second I was going to hit the gas pedal, the engine died, then restarted, but by the time there was enough momentum to move off, the traffic was directly in front of the car, so I had to ram the brakes on.

Post #416582 Tue Mar 04 2014 9:14pm
Andig

United States 

I agree with peanutbob on the stop start. I got caught out a couple of times on Austin's I-35 last week in the usual rush hour grind. Just as I wanted to get moving the engine shut down as I had forgotten to disable it and ok, it fired straight back up but still annoying. LR should give us the option in the settings menu to either activate or disactivate it...and without the icon showing on the dash.

Andif MY 14.5 RRS 5.0 S/C Autobiography in Fuji White with contrast Santorini roof and Ebony/Lunar interior.

Post #416603 Tue Mar 04 2014 10:33pm
Disco

United Kingdom 

I understand that in order to get the lower road tax in the uk, at least the stop start has to auto turn back on.

Post #416611 Tue Mar 04 2014 11:05pm
peanutbob

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Notwithstanding the extra wear on the starter motor and ring gear, what is occurring is that the engine is allowed to stall at a critical moment when the power is needed. Then, and especially with the 5.0 litre, substantial power is released very swiftly, which will place strain on the transmission.
In stop/start traffic this is not the case, but why would you want the car to cut out regularly? The amount of fuel saving must be fairly minimal against the inconvenience of the car cutting out regularly, and the impending extra costs of wear if one keeps the vehicle long enough. What will be the cost saving per annum on fuel based on 12000 miles yearly...£100?
Imho, it has a potential to cause an accident, under certain circumstances, is likely to result in premature wear on a variety of components...all for an insignificant monetary fuel saving. And how much did the car cost?!

Edit : just reading Discos post above, well there may well be a road tax saving to be fair. I think my road tax is £260 pa against the road tax of my previous RRS which was circa £450 ish

Post #416614 Tue Mar 04 2014 11:11pm
Disco

United Kingdom 

Yes I have cheaper road tax and insurance than my 2002 Disco.

Also less road tax than a new Disco 4.

Is it worth it?

If you select first with the paddles it will not shut down the engine if you are in a location that warrants it.

Post #416617 Tue Mar 04 2014 11:25pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Im also aware of the tax savings in the UK, but I still think there should be an off option in the user menu.

I cant check yet, but im told you maybe able to turn it off in the ccf. Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #416644 Wed Mar 05 2014 9:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12