RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Funny Smell....any ideas?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Andig

United States 
Funny Smell....any ideas?

Ok - this may sound a little odd but bear with me.
I have a new 5.0 S/C Autobiography, picked it up on Saturday and have done 250 miles so far. When the car is idling or crawling along at traffic jam speeds, I start to get a smell inside the car. The only thing I can describe it as is a faint smell of cat pee and it disappears as soon as I start driving at normal speeds.
The only thing I can think of is maybe it is just the new exhaust or the cats (no pun intended) getting hot for the first few times.
Any ideas? Have any of you had the same thing in yours?
Thanks
Andy

Post #415383 Tue Feb 25 2014 4:48am
blue

Italy 

I can't help you but I've noticed this problem when I've done the test drive of TDV6. I remember I've noticed a very bad smell when the car re-start the engine after start/stop function turned it off for just few seconds, I tried also to switch on the recycle but smell still continues. If it makes sense to understand the problem it was an heavy rainy day.

When back I've reported the problem to the dealer who says "no, it's strange, never heard about...." (he wasn't with me in the car when happened, I was alone one hour test-drive).

Then I've not given too much attention to the problem since I have supposed it was just my impression and it was impossible a new RRS could have similar problems !!! But now you makes me think again over the problem...

Please keep update and good luck for a quick solution!

Thanks

Post #415420 Tue Feb 25 2014 12:46pm
malcolmw

United Kingdom 

With a Diesel you may get some fumes from the auxilliary heater at slow speeds or when the engine is cold. With petrol, I don't know.

The usual reason for a stale smell is the A/C being contaminated but this seems unlikely with such new vehicles. Regards

Malcolm

Post #415437 Tue Feb 25 2014 2:49pm
Beancounter_74

England 

Funny smell you say?

You've not given Ady 555 a lift recently have you Question Had the same problem when he sat in my car, took me ages to get rid of it, I put it down to soiled trousers and his age Whistle ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #415438 Tue Feb 25 2014 3:00pm
362bkr

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #415440 Tue Feb 25 2014 3:16pm
blue

Italy 

malcolmw wrote:
With a Diesel you may get some fumes from the auxilliary heater at slow speeds or when the engine is cold. With petrol, I don't know.

This was one option considered by the dealer when I've told him about my test... but the car I used was without the aux heater...

Post #415447 Tue Feb 25 2014 3:53pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Beancounter_74 wrote:
Funny smell you say?

You've not given Ady 555 a lift recently have you Question Had the same problem when he sat in my car, took me ages to get rid of it, I put it down to soiled trousers and his age Whistle

Thats strange Bc, when i asked you what the smell was, you said, "excuse the smell ive just cycled all the way from Paris to London in my lycra shorts and haven't changed them after an accident you had 5 miles into the journey" It was a bit rank, i must admit. Ner Ner

I'm sorry i have no idea what the smell is in your new car unless it is down to it being new.

Post #415508 Tue Feb 25 2014 9:22pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SDV6RRS

United Kingdom 

I was getting a smell of oil fumes in my SDV6 and initially I put it down to some oil having been spilt on the engine somewhere when it was being built, but when it continued I mentioned it to the dealer when it went in for the recall (Battery cable rerouting) and they found a trapped breather pipe.

Not sure that oil smells like cat pee though.... 2014 MY RRS HSE Dynamic
2000 Porsche Boxster S
2004 BMW X5 (Gone)

Post #415520 Tue Feb 25 2014 10:22pm
Andig

United States 

Thanks for all your responses guys. Unfortunately I don't think either Beancounter or Ady have been in Texas this week so I can't blame them.

I am going to see if it disappears after I have done a few more miles to see if it just the initial hot smells you often get with a new car. If not I will let the dealer take a look/smell!

Andy

Post #415538 Wed Feb 26 2014 12:48am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1