RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Newbie: TDV8 bought and anti-roll bar leaking..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

GregorJP

England 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black
Newbie: TDV8 bought and anti-roll bar leaking..

Hello all,

Just bought a RRS TDV8 on an 09 plate with 35k miles. She's lovely, in black with ivory leather and all the toys. I bought the car mainly because I will be towing a race car, but also because it's a great place to be, very practical. The RRS replaces my previous car, a Nissan GTR (an altogether different proposition).

I got the car via a private sale and just put her in for a service at LR Welwyn Garden City. They diagnosed that everything with the car is fine, save that the front anti-roll bar is leaking and needs replacing. Total cost of £1,700 including VAT. Ouch. My questions for the group are:

- Is it worth getting a LR extended warranty for piece of mind? I hear RRS's can be expensive to run.
- Is the Welwyn Garden City dealer a good one with a good reputation?
- How often can I expect to put the car in to the dealer for a check-up and hear bad news?!
- I will be towing with the detachable towbar, but I hear it can be faulty if used extensively. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for all the answers. Looking forward to being involved on this forum.

Post #414541 Tue Feb 18 2014 5:10pm
Terryrrs

United Kingdom 

I have just moved from a RS4 to a RRS and if nothing much goes wrong then I see it being cheaper to run and if you have come from a GTR from what I hear it should be a lot cheaper. The problem is that it seems if you get a bad " Range Rover" then they are really bad. I have been running German cars for the last 40 years and forgotten about reliability issues. Good luck, let's hope we are both not going to be disappointed as it is a great place to be in present traffic and the increase in speed restrictions.
Terry

Post #414552 Tue Feb 18 2014 5:37pm
simple1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Cairns Blue

A warrantee is a must with a Sport. Even the deepest pockets will bulk at the demands. Obviously it won't cover the anti roll bar but I would take it to an Indi and see what they say. My car was diagnosed with a leak which turned out to be a diff seal flicking oil round the actuator. It makes sense to get service work done by dealer if you want continuity but bang per buck you will get better workmanship and value from a respected Indi. Thumbs Up 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀
TDV8 Sport HSE...... Gone. Loved it but it didn't love me!!
Now rolling in MY10 Fullfat TDV8 Vogue. Slammed it to go round corners🙈
Cruising daily #56 mph in a Volvo V8. 😱
Lots of other toys in the cupboard...😜

Post #414558 Tue Feb 18 2014 6:03pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Chrale

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

As Simple has mentioned, warranty is a must although the ARB isn't covered as stated. Had exactly the same issue when i bought my car, fortunately the garage i purchased mine from replaced it and covered costs.

I had already had a quote from an Indy, LR approved one too and that came in at £1200 all in. Worth shopping around. If i remember rightly, the ARB alone is around £1000. 2007 TDV6 HSE

Post #415034 Sat Feb 22 2014 8:28am
Paul Holywood

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
Re: Newbie: TDV8 bought and anti-roll bar leaking..

GregorJP wrote:
Hello all,

Just bought a RRS TDV8 on an 09 plate with 35k miles. She's lovely, in black with ivory leather and all the toys. I bought the car mainly because I will be towing a race car, but also because it's a great place to be, very practical. The RRS replaces my previous car, a Nissan GTR (an altogether different proposition).

I got the car via a private sale and just put her in for a service at LR Welwyn Garden City. They diagnosed that everything with the car is fine, save that the front anti-roll bar is leaking and needs replacing. Total cost of £1,700 including VAT. Ouch. My questions for the group are:

- Is it worth getting a LR extended warranty for piece of mind? I hear RRS's can be expensive to run.
- Is the Welwyn Garden City dealer a good one with a good reputation?
- How often can I expect to put the car in to the dealer for a check-up and hear bad news?!
- I will be towing with the detachable towbar, but I hear it can be faulty if used extensively. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for all the answers. Looking forward to being involved on this forum.

If you owned a GTR, and knowing you dont get much change from 10-15k for a gearbox on those, i would think your safe mate Thumbs Up

like most motors they are good until they go wrong, just get it sorted by either LR or possibly a little cheaper from an indi,and keep regular oil changes (very important), if your going to keep it a while, you will reep the benifits.
if your local to me in Herts, ive got a good lad who does all my servicing at a reduced cost.
he wont take on the ARB but brakes and oil, filters etc he's good. Wink

Post #415066 Sat Feb 22 2014 3:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1