RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Anyone have tracker?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Senna

2010 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Anyone have tracker?

Have tracker fitted on my 911 (a box I couldn't un-tick in the options list) and one on our soon to be gone 2010 RRS, just wondering if anyone has one fitted on their new RRS and what sort of cost.

Cobra charge me £250 per year which seems to be more than others.

Various options here, and I will probably go with these guys.

http://www.stolencartracking.co.uk/sctcat/...wwodPVcAMw Current...
Just Landed....MY2014.5 Mariana Black HSE Dynamic with tons of toys
MY2014 Evoque Si4 Dynamic Santorini black with toys galore
2010 Porsche Carrera 2S (997.2) Basalt black with PDK

On Order: Porsche Macan S Diesel...eta March 2015

Previous
2010 RRS HSE Santorini black (super reliable and will be missed)
3 x Boring Audi's, Q7, TT, A4 Cab (yawn)

Post #412356 Tue Feb 04 2014 1:09am
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

I'm waiting for the InControl option as I think a factory fitted solution is best. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #412359 Tue Feb 04 2014 6:02am
Senna

Thanks Mark.
Also picked up your previous comments and totally agree with you on everything you said.

Had a 'garage door opener' fitted to my 911 by some after market guys which was a disaster. Had to get my Porsche dealer to fix their mess Sad

Having said that, 4 years ago my local LR dealer used a local firm to install the Cobra tracking system in our 2010 RRS just before we picked it up from the showroom and its always worked well and to the best of my knowledge very professionally installed.

I don't have Incontrol on my new car which I will have delivered on the 28th now since the dealer is overloaded with dozens new car of hand-overs on the 1st of March. Just wondering if Incontrol can be retro fitted by my LR dealer? Current...

Previous

Last edited by Senna on Tue Feb 04 2014 5:21pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #412365 Tue Feb 04 2014 8:48am
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Sorry, perhaps I shouldn't have edited my post which went on a bit, even for a windbag like me.

To summarise what I said, a tracker designed into the car and either fitted at the factory or as a specific add-on, such as the Porsche VTS, is likely to be more secure than an after-market generic one because it can be more tightly integrated into the existing drive authentication system. These systems have been responsible for a big drop in cars stolen without the keys. Also, as the electronics in cars becomes more complex, hacking into a wiring loom to get at what the device needs can lead to problems, to the extent Porsche void the electrical warranty of their cars if such work is done.

LR already have a dealer-fit tracking device but my preference is to wait for InControl which is integrated into the car and installed at manufacture. That's my first choice but there's currently talk of more delays and uncertainty so a good quality after-market tracking device - such as a Tracker Cat 5 Plus - is the next best alternative and the key is to find an installer with experience of this specific car. You don't want them to learn using your car as a guinea pig! Mark

Post #412369 Tue Feb 04 2014 9:34am
Terryrrs

United Kingdom 

I have had trackers in the past but unless I am forced to by insurance companies I do not bother. The way I see it is that if they are professionals they will disable your tracker in a very short time and the car will be gone. If they are not they may have trashed your interior looking for it and ragged it to death would you then want it back and also the keys will be needed so they will have either broken into your house when you are not there or they have waited for you and politely asked for the keys. It is a possibility they may bare a grudge if they have a problem with the car.
Terry

Post #412426 Tue Feb 04 2014 3:26pm
Beancounter_74

England 

^^^ Agree and some good points there.

I only had one on my RRS as it made insurance a lot easier and paid for itself within 2 years., I think the 'lifetime' subs cost with tracker was £295, so a lot less than some of the yearly ones. ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #412435 Tue Feb 04 2014 3:46pm
Senna

Mark is spot on.
Dealer confirmed today that there are indeed further delays to Incontrol.

The last he heard was they are planning to sort out existing problems in time for April/May build. I guess the longer it takes the more money JLR lose on this as its probably going to be a popular option.

Shame I don't have it on my car. I never ticked the box apparently. Though I'm not sure there was a box to tick in August last year Sad

Oh well, at least I'm getting 14.5MY..........for what that's worth Confused Current...

Previous

Post #412475 Tue Feb 04 2014 5:29pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Yes, a classic case of do I take the car now and enjoy it or wait for something which might be delayed further. There was no tick box in August last year, Senna, and it looks now like it's not even going to be part of MY14.5.

I quite like the idea of an internet connected car with apps for internet radio, car parks with space locator, live speed camera van locator and all the rest all possible.

I do accept though that someone stealing the car and tearing it apart to find the tracker is not going to be great and of course it's better not to advertise there's one there in the first place.

Anyway, we have lots of time to contemplate InControl; probably the best we can hope for at this point is that it will be late and will probably disappoint. Mark

Post #412500 Tue Feb 04 2014 7:03pm
Andrew

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Firenze Red

There is a different way of looking at all the MY advances, you could keep waiting for ever for JLR to produce exactly what you want.... live for today, get the car and enjoy it asap, upgrade in 2 - 3 years if all the add ons prove to be exceptional.
Mark, what would you do if emissions regs pulled the plug on the supercharged and you missed out waiting for other options? I know it's hardly likely to happen, but they have got to get average emissions down across the whole range pretty soon..
just a thought! 5.0 Ltr Superchrged RRS2, Chile Red, Sideways out of junctions!
TDV8 HST Stornaway on a 08.. remapped.. now gone and replaced, was a mighty fine car..
4.2 SC First Edition when they first came out, quick car!

Post #412577 Tue Feb 04 2014 11:12pm
Senna

Mark_N wrote:
Yes, a classic case of do I take the car now and enjoy it or wait for something which might be delayed further. There was no tick box in August last year, Senna, and it looks now like it's not even going to be part of MY14.5.

I quite like the idea of an internet connected car with apps for internet radio, car parks with space locator, live speed camera van locator and all the rest all possible.

I do accept though that someone stealing the car and tearing it apart to find the tracker is not going to be great and of course it's better not to advertise there's one there in the first place.

Anyway, we have lots of time to contemplate InControl; probably the best we can hope for at this point is that it will be late and will probably disappoint.

I must stop agreeing with you Mark. Its getting boring Laughing

On another note, I see you also have a petrol Evoque. Is it just me or are these things gas guzzlers?

I use the Evoque as a work car so I run it around quite a bit but I'm getting a little fed up constantly stopping for fuel.

Did think about the diesel version at the time and although I don't mind 6/8 cylinder diesels as most are quite smooth, there is no way could I put up with 4 cylinder diesel clatter hence my choice of petrol......plus of course the petrol version is quicker, quieter and more refined all round IMO.

I'm only getting around 18-20mpg in town and less than 29-30 mpg on the motorway. I'm not heavy footed and certainly don't drive around like a teenage car thief being chased by a police helicopter.

Over the year it will probably end up costing me a £1-2k over the cost of running a diesel but its the sheer inconvenience of constantly stopping for fuel that drives me bonkers more than the money Sad

To compare with my 3.8 litre, 911, 997.2 (7 speed PDK gearbox) , believe it or not, I get 22-23mpg in town and I once achieved 39.4 mpg from North London to Derby (mostly M1), and almost always crack 35mpg on the motorway.

As much as I like the Evoque which is just 3 months old, I'm seriously contemplating chopping it in for another RRS. Dealer says he can get me into an August build Shocked
I can build a white one for Mrs Senna and take the Mariana black one for myself Thumbs Up Current...

Previous

Post #412590 Wed Feb 05 2014 12:00am
BlackGT3

United Kingdom 
Re: Anyone have tracker?

Senna wrote:
Have tracker fitted on my 911 (a box I couldn't un-tick in the options list) and one on our soon to be gone 2010 RRS, just wondering if anyone has one fitted on their new RRS and what sort of cost.

http://www.stolencartracking.co.uk/sctcat/...wwodPVcAMw

I opted for this : http://www.mtrackonline.co.uk/applications...2wodL0IABw

You can move the device to another car if desired.

No issues with Ham fisted installers wrecking the wiring

You can hide the device where trackers are not normally located and therefore harder to find. Current:
2014 RRS HSE - Causeway Grey, Ebony with Ivory seats, Ebony roof lining, Black Piano wood, Panoramic Roof, Heated Exterior Mirrors, Heated Steering Wheel, Privacy Glass, 21" Wheels, Electric Tow Bar, Full Size Spare, Load through & Black Badges. 5 yr service pack
997 GT3
Golf R DSG
Past
2010 Discovery 4 HSE
2006 Discovery 3 HSE

Post #412595 Wed Feb 05 2014 2:21am
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Andrew wrote:
There is a different way of looking at all the MY advances, you could keep waiting for ever for JLR to produce exactly what you want.... live for today, get the car and enjoy it asap, upgrade in 2 - 3 years if all the add ons prove to be exceptional.
Mark, what would you do if emissions regs pulled the plug on the supercharged and you missed out waiting for other options? I know it's hardly likely to happen, but they have got to get average emissions down across the whole range pretty soon..
just a thought!

Oh I certainly agree with you. I think LR are going to have major problems meeting the EU-mandated fleet-average emissions because they simply do not make small cars unless there is some wriggle-room to be had with Tata.

It's a very gloomy situation and the automotive landscape in Europe will be very different in 10 years compared to what it is now. Big cars will be taxed out of existence here and, in the worst case scenario, Land Rover may even abandon supplying the European market because of the penalties the cars will attract which will be passed on to purchasers.

The effect can already be seen in the Netherlands where punitive taxation (the "Slurp Tax") is applied to big cars and the market for them has died. We could have the situation in Europe where we make the world's best cars but only for use elsewhere. On a smaller scale, and for different reasons, I visited Lamborghini in Sant' Agata Bolognese and was told that the cars are to all intents and purposes not for sale in Italy. Mark

Post #412597 Wed Feb 05 2014 6:12am
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Senna (apologies for going off topic here), I get 27-28 mpg from my Si4 and a range of high 300s miles and a comparison on babyrr.com with someone who has an SD4 suggests 10000 miles costs £600 more in fuel in the Si4; the SD4 costs more to service and you have the DPF nonsense; the Si4 depreciates faster. Most Evoque buyers dismiss the Si4 out of hand and do not know what they are missing. When fully run in, it has a real turn of speed and is quiet and refined on a cruise though quite raucous when wound up. The diesel Evoques are clattery old things and the Td4 especially is a horror.

Compared to your Evoque, your 911 has a number of things going for it - lower weight, lower drag, more advanced engine technology, no 4 wheel drive-line friction and a very long 7th gear so on a relaxed motorway cruise, it is bound to be more economical. I can coax 30mpg out of my 997.2 turbo on a motorway until I arrive in Germany Wink

The revised Evoque with 9 speed gear box and disconnecting 4WD is going to help a lot. Personally, I don't find the fuel range of the Evoque a problem at all but if you begrudge 5 minutes spent refuelling it, what you really need is a chauffeur so you can work instead of wasting your time at all those traffic lights in town! Me, I'm retired and like to get out once in a while to visit the petrol station LOL. Mark

Post #412598 Wed Feb 05 2014 6:48am
Senna

Mark,
I've got a few years to go yet unfortunately. Not too long hopefully.

Wow, 30mpg out of a 911 Turbo, that's fantastic.

Mind you, I have to say the 911 is one of the cheapest cars to run I've ever owned.

Folks that are not knowledgeable always point to the 911 on my drive and come out with the same nonsense..."Bet that's expensive to run".........Er actually my daughters Mini Cooper S is more expensive to keep on the road lol Current...

Previous

Post #412631 Wed Feb 05 2014 2:42pm
Senna

Re: Anyone have tracker?

BlackGT3 wrote:
Senna wrote:

http://www.stolencartracking.co.uk/sctcat/...wwodPVcAMw

I opted for this : http://www.mtrackonline.co.uk/applications...2wodL0IABw

You can move the device to another car if desired.

No issues with Ham fisted installers wrecking the wiring

You can hide the device where trackers are not normally located and therefore harder to find.

That looks pretty good thanks. Will look into it. Current...

Previous

Post #412632 Wed Feb 05 2014 2:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>