RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Orders (L494) > Deployable Side Steps
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Mark_N

United Kingdom 
Deployable Side Steps

Anyone going for these? I see the cost is £2160 plus dealer fitting - the installation instructions say it's 4.7 hours and over 100 steps, so goodness knows how much that would cost.

It's a pity this is not a factory fit option - looking at those instructions, an awful lot of the car has to come apart, especially to fit the electrics and I do wonder whether it will all go back together without broken clips, left over screws, rattles and all the rest.

Any experience? Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #411442 Tue Jan 28 2014 10:40am
simple1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Cairns Blue

Cheeper if factory fitted but I opted for standard step. Just seems one more thing that will go wrong Whistle 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀
TDV8 Sport HSE...... Gone. Loved it but it didn't love me!!
Now rolling in MY10 Fullfat TDV8 Vogue. Slammed it to go round corners🙈
Cruising daily #56 mph in a Volvo V8. 😱
Lots of other toys in the cupboard...😜

Post #411443 Tue Jan 28 2014 10:58am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

They are dealer not factory fit. Thought about it, but (a) what's the point of adding all the weight back when (b) I would never let anyone stand on them. 

Post #411463 Tue Jan 28 2014 1:00pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Yes, they will add weight, may reduce ground clearance ("that'll be the deployable side steps you've just torn off....") and will be exposed to all the muck and grime, so I think this is one option I'll pass on. Mark

Post #411469 Tue Jan 28 2014 1:45pm
simple1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Cairns Blue

Maybe misunderstood the sales bloke but sure he gave me two prices for side steps and one was supplied with the other retro fitted or maybe am confusing it with tow bar options. 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀
TDV8 Sport HSE...... Gone. Loved it but it didn't love me!!
Now rolling in MY10 Fullfat TDV8 Vogue. Slammed it to go round corners🙈
Cruising daily #56 mph in a Volvo V8. 😱
Lots of other toys in the cupboard...😜

Post #411480 Tue Jan 28 2014 2:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

A final nail in the coffin for this option for me is that I am told you cannot use a conventional jack to replace a punctured tyre when you have the deployable side steps fitted because they are not strong enough to support the weight of the car and the jack damages them. Any experience? Mark

Post #411775 Thu Jan 30 2014 8:29am
corrisgrey

United Kingdom 

I found them more of a hindrance than a help when I experienced them on the demonstrator.

Post #411783 Thu Jan 30 2014 9:14am
Beancounter_74

England 

These seem to be an option that look/sound great on paper, but are let down with their actual implementation and functionality.

I always said if I got a FFRR or RRS2 (now they are available) I would spec them without any care for the cost as I love the idea.......but reading this I think has changed my mind Confused ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #411787 Thu Jan 30 2014 9:29am
Waters333

Scotland 

I went and got these added as dealer fitted option on my 5.0 s/c. I did ask the dealer some hard questions which ended up with us at the workshop asking the mechanics that fit them. The deployable side steps do go over the normal jack point but they provide a new point on the step hinge itself - as long as the steps are disabled. Unfortunately I've since tested them due to a leaky valve / slow puncture with no problems. The only drawback, apart from the cost, is the button pressing procedure to disable them or lock them for roof access.

Dirt also likes to collect on them from general driving but no loss in clearance. They automatically disable themselves with TR2. I parked up 2 wheeled on a high curb it went straight in rock crawl and disabled the side steps.

They do look amazing when you walk up, unlock and out they pop!

Post #411820 Thu Jan 30 2014 11:25am
MXSRR

England 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Sumatra Black

A total gimmick that is a very expensive option... possibly OK if you live in Chelsea and want to impress your friends!! Yawn MY2007 RRS TDV8 Black - tinted glass - side steps- stormer grille - 20" diamond cut alloys - alpaca leather - TV/DVD pack - some blingy chrome bits & bob's

Post #411821 Thu Jan 30 2014 11:25am
Beancounter_74

England 

^^^.......and your point being...... Whistle Laughing Rolling with laughter ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #411825 Thu Jan 30 2014 11:45am
RobF

United Kingdom 

Well, mine arrived this morning (HSE Dynamic, Havana, Pano roof + a few other gizmos) and I did opt for the deployable steps. It's a bit of a gimmick but life's too short to worry.

I wasn't going to, because of the jacking issue of the old FFRR. but when I saw they had solved this, I ran out of excuses not to.

Now really looking forward to actually driving the car. However, I have to wait a while as I have a broken right leg at the moment - no weight bearing for another two weeks! In the meantime my wife will be chauffering me around. I'm sure she'll like the peaked cap I have bought her Twisted Evil

Question - has anyone not opted for the 5 year service plan? It seems like a no-brainer to me.

Post #411838 Thu Jan 30 2014 1:00pm
Gavin Beecham

United Kingdom 

I thought they were brilliant when I saw them on the demo car and I though I'd have them BUT then I saw the price Shocked Now I don't mind spending ( ask my wife!! ) but even I thought they were a lot for what they are and when I got in and out of the demo car I didn't even use them!
However....what about the soft close doors?? Anybody got them??

Post #411840 Thu Jan 30 2014 1:25pm
peanutbob

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

RobF wrote:
Well, mine arrived this morning (HSE Dynamic, Havana, Pano roof + a few other gizmos) and I did opt for the deployable steps. It's a bit of a gimmick but life's too short

Question - has anyone not opted for the 5 year service plan? It seems like a no-brainer to me.

I haven't opted for the 5 year service plan as I doubt I'll have more than one service before changing, and it's not transferable .

Post #411842 Thu Jan 30 2014 2:00pm
Disco

United Kingdom 

The Land Rover home page does have info on the service plan and it does say it is fully transferable.

Post #411844 Thu Jan 30 2014 2:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>