Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > ICE Build Part II
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Guyzer73

Oman 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange
ICE Build Part II

Ok so Part II….

Well as a few people here I really don’t like the dated interior of the 2006-09 RRS especially the clunky dial pad and green lcd screen of the stereo.

I looked at various options to remove this totally, but, couldn’t find anything that I liked, or was feasible.
Here are a couple of images of mock-ups I did, but I couldn’t realize it unfortunately:

So I went back to the drawing board in light of what I’m doing in Part I here:

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic34542.html

By chance I tried to see if my Xperia Z Ultra would fit over the dial pad and screen of the stereo and they did Smile. That got me thinking and here are the first mock ups using a chopped up hard shell:

As you can see the phone covers the hazard warning button etc, so this isn’t acceptable.

I had a look over the weekend after removing the whole centre dash etc and it would seem that the hazard warning button unit and stereo can be handed. The only real problem is creating a bracket for the dowels used to locate and support the stereo at the back, but, this should be feasible. The rest should be straight forward with brackets for the hazard warning unit being made and possibly also for the stereo.

This would then mean I’d have 2 screens in the car, the phone and the tablet as per the mock-up below:

The phone would be connected to the Sport’s OEM BT unit, and to the Tablet via wifi hotspot to throw telephone calls and sms’ via the Tablet Talk App.The phone could also connect to the Unisonic BT receiver and stream music via the AUX IN if I wanted.

Power for the phone would be via the 2 pin magnetic connector from the dock you see above the mock-up which would be incorporated into the final solution which would be a metal frame to support the phone riveted, or similar to the stereo fascia, but instead of the phone being clipped in it would slide in from the top making access to the dial pad and screen more simple.

Again thoughts, opinions and questions welcome Thumbs Up

Cheers

Guy 2006 RRS S/C CONSTANTLY under modification...
1994 RRC 4.2l not LSE sadly gone but not forgotten
LR Defender 300Tdi - affectionately know as "The Black Beast"

Post #411415 Tue Jan 28 2014 8:22am
tanloverluke

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Hi guy would it be possible to have only the top screen in place ? Im looking for a replacement for the screen, I think its slow and outdated, and I would love google maps instead of the regular satnav !
Cheers Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.
DONE: Meduza front bumper, AB rear bumper, AB tailpipes, calipers repainted, rear upper tailgate upgrade, side steps, AB front grille, AB side vents, rear LED lights, clear side repeaters, integrated daytime running lights, LED headlights.
TO DO: color code sills and pillars.

Post #412153 Sun Feb 02 2014 11:11am
myfirstrrs

United Kingdom 

Hi Guyzer73,
I am also interested in changing just the top screen. Hopefully without too much chopping and expense and ideally in a way that I can return the car to the original spec. when I decide to sell it.

Post #412154 Sun Feb 02 2014 11:16am
Guyzer73

Tanloverluke, MyfirstRRS,

Yes you can definitely only do the top screen replacement. The second lower screen is in many way just an over complicated docking station for my phone Wink

There are a few people who have already replaced the OEM SatNav with either an iPad Mini or Android Tablet. It's fairly straight forward.

Just do a search on here and you should find plenty of information. You could also try over on the LR3 site.

Cheers

Post #412358 Tue Feb 04 2014 5:31am
Guyzer73

Well a small update on the swapping of the Head Unit and the Hazard Warning switch gear. I've had a small mishap on the Head UNit in that I've managed to damage the main PCB through being inattentive... but, it does look like it will all work Very Happy

Here are a couple of photos of the Head UNit in its new position.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Obviously the side and upper trims need to be trimmed to fit probably and the Hazard Warning switch gear needs some significant modification for it to fit probably, mostly to create a finishing panel on the bottom, but, also t allow it to be mounted properly. But ultimately it will work. Very Happy

Also, the Head Unit will need trimming on the bottom for a flush fit with the Hazard Warning switch gear

Once its all be sanded filled and wrapped in piano black vinyl I don't think you'll see the difference and it will look very OEM but that's a way off yet...

I'll post more updates as I progress and am permitted by this little girl who's being indoctrinated into the ways of Land Rovers Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Anyways happy weekend all Thumbs Up

Cheers

Post #413983 Fri Feb 14 2014 12:48pm
Guyzer73

Some slow but steady progress. The head unit is still fubar'd but the actual build is progressing well and should be completed relatively quickly.

Again couple of progress photos with everything in place. Needs plenty of fine tuning but it's definitely taking shape Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Hopefully get it finished after the cars back from the workshop for the body kit, only a day to wait before she's in for her face lift Wink

Kind Regards

Post #414153 Sat Feb 15 2014 4:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1