RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Credit card scam - petrol stations
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
Credit card scam - petrol stations

Discovered yesterday when checking my credit card statement that some lowlife Censored scum has somehow got hold of my Barclaycard credit card details and spent £5k mostly at the on-line Apple store and my bank had paid the bill as it is on direct debit to clear the balance Big Cry

I don't know how they did it but I suspect it happened at the Shell petrol station in Redbourn Herts because all the fraudulent transactions started two days after my last visit on 20th December. Clever - because the card reader is on the customer side of the counter these days so the card never left my possession. My guess is that the reader was rigged to skim my card details and either there was a camera recording me putting in my pin or there was stooge standing behind me (even though I always try to shield the keyboard as I put the number in).

Even more annoying is that Barclaycard during the period of the frauds kindly raised my credit limit to £6k but I don't know yet if this was requested by the scammer somehow or B'card raised it automatically.
It was such an obvious departure from my usual pattern of spending that it also seems very surprising that the B'card software didn't flag it up at any time.

Going through the claims procedure so I sure hope I get my money back.

So it seems however careful you are the scum have ways of getting you. You might be best using cash only at petrol stations since I understand this is where 40% of credit card scams originate. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #411333 Mon Jan 27 2014 4:50pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

could be connect to something like this, from the BBC new site.

Malware put on to the system at the till points

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25877780

Post #411334 Mon Jan 27 2014 4:56pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Shocked to read this and mad at the Censored who did this Evil or Very Mad

SWMBO asked me to pay for a handbag online last week from what she thought was Mulberry York - one of her favourite Shops Rolling Eyes

Card did not go through and I was just about to try again when the phone rang - it was Bcard asking if I had just tried to buy form a retailer in China - turned out she was on a fake website and I had just entered my email, home address, etc Shocked

They cancelled my card and issued a new one - I was impressed so can't understand why they did not contact you to query such a big purchase Confused

Since then I have had daily emails asking me to complete the purchase and a surge in spam email Big Cry

Apple must bear some blame for despatching high value goods to an address that does not match cardholders details too Thud Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #411336 Mon Jan 27 2014 5:45pm
PEACHY

England 

Censored Censored I have the Barclaycard App - 5 digits & I can see my balance Thumbs Up I'm in the habit at looking at it every other day - it may have helped - hope you get your money back Thumbs Up 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #411338 Mon Jan 27 2014 5:55pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gazellio

United Kingdom 

Shell Petrol Card Thumbs Up

Post #411339 Mon Jan 27 2014 6:07pm
JasM

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Sorry to hear this. Hope you get your money back quickly. 2014 L405 SDV8 RR Autobiography Cool

2012 RRS SDV6 HSE -Orkney Grey with A/B bodykit - Now Gone Sad
2007 RRS TDV6 HSE - Zermatt Silver - Gone

Post #411371 Mon Jan 27 2014 8:48pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Thinking about it - they may not have got my PIN since all the fraudulent transactions appear to have been carried out online.

So most likely the card details were skimmed at the petrol station or where I bought an item online there's someone stealing card information or a hacker has managed to install malware on my PC.

I've scanned my PC with my antivirus programme, scanned it with malwarebytes, done another scan with eSet's online scanner and scanned it with Superantispyware. The only thing that came up was a couple of files but I think it was a false positive and these files are something to do with Dropbox. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #411475 Tue Jan 28 2014 3:22pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

it could have been months ago, skimmed or someone selling on details obtains in various ways.

One of my friends gone done over, well atempted, but his bank use software that looks at his purchases, he could not have got from York where he lasted used his card, to a steakhouse in canada with the time in between purchases, so they called him to confirm and blocked the transaction

Unless you regularly spend £5k with Apple, i would have thought that would have started the alarm bells ringing Confused

Post #411483 Tue Jan 28 2014 4:23pm
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I'd be surprised if you don't get it refunded, which is great for you but Censored annoying that the individual gets away with it.

I've had numerous attacks when I travelled more and always had it sorted by the card company. Always intrigued though as to where / who passed on the details.

Post #411487 Tue Jan 28 2014 5:11pm
ravingmad

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

Had this happen recently with the companies Nat West debit card.
Someone paid off 12k worth of credit card bills with my card.
Quick phone call to Nat west and money refunded to my account in 2 days.
No explanation of why it happened, so could be a regular occurrence.
I f I purchase anything online I pay with PayPal if possible or a card with a low limit. MY13.5 Autobiography, Santorini Black, Privacy Glass. Gone
Driving a milk float for now.

Post #411500 Tue Jan 28 2014 6:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1