RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Advice buying 4.2 V8 SC
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

alcarmichael

England 
Advice buying 4.2 V8 SC

I'm soon to return home from Afghanistan and am looking at buying an RRS. My search has unfortunately lead me to the gas guzzling high tax bracket supercharged V8. I absolutely love this one particular car I have seen.

I wondered if you guys could help point me in the direction of the major things I should be looking out for when I come to view it. Obviously FSH is important.

I have searched the FAQ to look for such a guide but didn't find anything. Unfortunately this site takes a ridiculous amount of time to load on the computers out here, no idea why, so simply scanning the forums using the search function isn't proving to be very successful. If anyone could post links to similar threads or buying guides/advice that would be much appreciated.

Last edited by alcarmichael on Wed Jan 22 2014 12:34pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #410638 Wed Jan 22 2014 11:37am
Woolmeister

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

This is a great guide for the TDV6 and TDV8 so should get you started....

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/displayim...&pos=0

Post #410640 Wed Jan 22 2014 11:45am
simonj007

England 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zermatt Silver

Hi there...

I just bought my first RRS mid Decemeber and absolutely love it. I must have been looked for 12 months and the majority of that time for a diesel, but thanks to this superb forum ended up buying the 4.2 SC!

I absolutely love it, everything about it and get excited each and every time I jump in an turn that ignition key...my two young boys love it too!

You've probably come across a couple of threads started by me last year asking similar questions.

But yes, basically FSH and the rest is just all down to checking everything works both on and off a test drive. Look with your eyes and listen with your ears and if possible post a link of details here and the guys here will have a look for you.

All the best and let us have a look if you can.

Simon

Post #410643 Wed Jan 22 2014 12:29pm
alcarmichael

England 

Woolmeister wrote:
This is a great guide for the TDV6 and TDV8 so should get you started....

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/displayim...&pos=0

Thank you for the link - unfortunately I can't open the file on this computer but will definitely have a read when I get chance.

simonj007 wrote:
Hi there...

I just bought my first RRS mid Decemeber and absolutely love it. I must have been looked for 12 months and the majority of that time for a diesel, but thanks to this superb forum ended up buying the 4.2 SC!

I absolutely love it, everything about it and get excited each and every time I jump in an turn that ignition key...my two young boys love it too!

You've probably come across a couple of threads started by me last year asking similar questions.

But yes, basically FSH and the rest is just all down to checking everything works both on and off a test drive. Look with your eyes and listen with your ears and if possible post a link of details here and the guys here will have a look for you.

All the best and let us have a look if you can.

Simon

It's a 2007 HSE with 60k on the clock. What would you say was the going rate for this spec/year/mileage?

I hadn't come across your threads until now (like I said this forum takes an age to load for whatever reason out here), I just searched all the posts you've made on the forum and have just finished reading the ones I chose to read since you commmented. Yes, that's how long it takes for pages to load!!! You've certainly done a lot of research before buying, the information posted should in turn help me Smile

Post #410688 Wed Jan 22 2014 4:32pm
simonj007

Hi,

Well it really depends on the condition and test drive is critical.

If you DM me I'll tell you what I paid for mine which is a 2007 4.2 SC - I personally think I got a bargain.

You could expect to pay anything from £15k to over £20k - if you can post links and pics we'd have a better idea.

Is it a private sale or dealer? Full service history, books up-to-date, whats the interior/eterior like, any modifications etc?

I looked at many. Most looked great in the photos but up close some didn't even deserve a test drive.

You'll know when you come across the right one, just don't rush into it...

S

Post #410692 Wed Jan 22 2014 4:39pm
alcarmichael

England 

I've just tried to pm you but seems I need 3 posts to do so. Here is another one Very Happy

Post #410699 Wed Jan 22 2014 5:46pm
PauloAmore

Scotland 

Hey pal... Stay safe in Afghan....

I wrote the following recently... that hopefully will be of interest...

Listen for the rear air compressor noises at start up... Some say that means its on its way out...

Look at the front radiator - (does it have a leak?) I had mine replaced since i couldn't cool the car.

Check for a whooshing noise in line with engine revs. Happens at startup but should stop. Starts again when the engine is hot (mostly in high ambient temperatures). Its the viscous fan that fails. Sometimes they are wired wrong, or the wiring pops out. I did all that but replaced the fan in the end.

Battery needs to be in good condition or you get ghost HDC and suspension faults; especially in low ambient temperatures.

Check that the car is level after parking. Sometimes a sensor goes and they lean over a bit.

Sometimes the engine chirps. Its a belt thing. There was a TSB for it. Try and check that was done.

The dreaded knocking noise. Front Anti roll bars are a consumable in that car. When they are gone, they front knocks. Mine doesn't becuase I change the ARBs every year.

Great cars by the way.

Also, make sure that the air blower (air con) starts immediately and that the front heated screen works.

If you want to PM me a link to the car, i'll have a look. 2022 P440e AB

Post #410737 Thu Jan 23 2014 12:26am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Quote:
you get ghost HDC and suspension faults

HDC errors can also be caused by blown brake bulbs. This is because the HDC will light the brake bulbs as part of its operation. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #410743 Thu Jan 23 2014 1:25am
B3EEE

Wales 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange

my 2p worth, from experience

suspension air compressor
anti-roll bar bushes
front wishbones

then get it de-coked by Terraclean !  RR Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange 4.2 V8 First edition

Prefer RR Vouge S/C but they don't do Orange !

Post #410759 Thu Jan 23 2014 12:08pm
alcarmichael

England 

I shall try and post again! For some reason it takes approximately 15 minutes for a page to load on this site out here!!! Sad
I've just written out a reply and it never posted.

Hi Paulo,

I had actually seen your post during my search, thank you though, now it's on my thread it'll be much easier to refer to.
What's HDC?
I shall pm you the link now (In approximately 15 minutes!)

B3EEE - How much are ARB's and Wishbones? Are they relatively easy to replace DIY?
What made you have yours de-coked? What is the cost?
I am used to using Shell V-Power anyway so will probably continue to do so to keep everything nice, clean and lubricated.

Thank you everyone for your posts so far Thumbs Up

Post #410911 Fri Jan 24 2014 11:05am
alcarmichael

England 

Forgot to post this:-

Hi Alex

Right the service book shows the following

2007 SERVICED AT 5K

2009 SERVICED AT 23K

2009 SERVICED AT 39K

2010 SERVICED AT 48K

2011 SERVICED AT 63K

2013 HAD NEW AIR SUSPENSION COMPRESSOR

2014 HAPPY TO SUPPLY IT WITH A NEW OIL SERVICE AT THE SCREEN PRICE

Post #410921 Fri Jan 24 2014 11:50am
jochem00

Why are people so looking after a FSH!!??
I know owners who trash the hell out of their cars but bring it to the dealer as per the service interfals.
When I drive their cars. FFRR Supercharged, Porsche 911 Turbo S for example, I can feel that the drive train is showing more than normal play, whilst others driving these cars will never notice.

I personally don't care about FSH. in fact I bought a Jaguar XKR with NO service history at all and 60K Miles on the clock and this car feels and drives like new.

So don't go blind on these service books.

Post #410943 Fri Jan 24 2014 2:39pm
simonj007

I'd NEVER buy without knowing it had been properly serviced and regularly.

S

Post #410959 Fri Jan 24 2014 4:21pm
B3EEE

Wales 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange

the bushes are about £10-£15 each, front and back, top and bottom, the wishbones approx £150 each (upper) and I got a local mechanic to replace at cost of £200.

I also used an approved outlet for Terraclean, approx £140

http://www.terraclean.co.uk/  RR Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange 4.2 V8 First edition

Prefer RR Vouge S/C but they don't do Orange !

Post #410973 Fri Jan 24 2014 5:20pm
alcarmichael

England 

Well I've just checked back on to the Sterling Performance site where the car is advertised, it has today lost 30,000 miles and gained 4,000 pounds!

http://www.sterlingperformance.co.uk/used-...2140526922

Post #410979 Fri Jan 24 2014 5:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>