RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > What is this squealing noise in engine?? Youtube vid link
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Frosty_Power

Canada 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Alaska White
What is this squealing noise in engine?? Youtube vid link

My RRS is going into the shop next week but wanted to see if anyone knows what this sound is in my engine bay. Squeaking or squealing noise and it only happens when the vehicle is cold, mostly just in the mornings. I think it may be the fan but not too sure. Any opinions or feedback would be appreciated. Attached is a link that I posted on youtube,

Post #195621 Tue Nov 11 2008 6:58am
BigMart

United Kingdom 

Hey frosty,

It sounds like a contaminated belt .
I used to get the same noise on a 300tdi disco , I could either scratch the belt surface while running Shocked or use some belt cleaning spray to soften it up.

If you look at the V faces on the belts you might see the shine thats giving you the squeek.

My wifes Audi a4 does exactly the same at themoment first thing in the morning.

Changing the belt and cleaning the pulleys will sort it out in a jiffy.

I have known this happen with new cars when the transit wax is steamed off the paintwork ,the wax gets transferred onto the belt and hey presto.....squeek city. Big Cry

Good luck , let us know how you get on.

Mart Jaguar XF 3.0D Portfolio
RRS TDV6 HSE 2006 , Zermatt , Gone

Post #195623 Tue Nov 11 2008 7:21am
dadanek

Czech Republic 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

It sound to me like some techno music Rolling with laughter

But really, I think it is belt, how Mart said Thumbs Up RANGE ROVER, MORE THAN A CAR, LESS THAN A KITKAT

Post #195634 Tue Nov 11 2008 9:40am
Frosty_Power

BigMart wrote:
Hey frosty,

It sounds like a contaminated belt .
I used to get the same noise on a 300tdi disco , I could either scratch the belt surface while running Shocked or use some belt cleaning spray to soften it up.

If you look at the V faces on the belts you might see the shine thats giving you the squeek.

My wifes Audi a4 does exactly the same at themoment first thing in the morning.

Changing the belt and cleaning the pulleys will sort it out in a jiffy.

I have known this happen with new cars when the transit wax is steamed off the paintwork ,the wax gets transferred onto the belt and hey presto.....squeek city. Big Cry

Mart

Thanks!!! I'm going to have to check this out. I guess an engine wash will not do the fix???

Post #195770 Tue Nov 11 2008 7:50pm
Frosty_Power

I notice now it does it most of the time now, cold or warm. I'm picking up the cleaner tonight so I'll keep you guys posted on the results.

Try this before I head up to the shop! Got my fingers crossed

Post #196054 Thu Nov 13 2008 8:15pm
BigMart

United Kingdom 

Hi Frosty,

My disco always used to go like that , mornings only , then more and more...eventually screaming like you wouldnt believe.

If it is belt contamination you could try cleaning the belt , stop the engine and using a brush scrub the belt (the V grooved side) with detergent (dish soap is ok)

rinse well , start and stop the engine so the belt rests in a different place , repeat the scrubbing , and so on until you are happy it's clean.

If you are feeling brave (be careful) I was told this tip by a landrover mechanic in the UK.
You could scrape the v belt surface with the engine running.
Hold a flat blade screwdriver (tight) and touch the blade on the running belt , going away from you so the screwdriver doesnt dig in.
The Cr@p will be scraped off , one V at a time , you will notice the noise diminshing as you do all the V's.

This is a great roadside tip , I've used it many times , the scrubbing is safer but more messy.

You may see aerosol belt dressing for sale , these are usually rubber softeners which make the belt very sticky.Whenever I tried them it improved for a few hours and then screamed worse Shocked

Post #196060 Thu Nov 13 2008 8:46pm
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

BigMart wrote:

Shocked RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #196081 Thu Nov 13 2008 11:49pm
Frosty_Power

BigMart wrote:
Hi Frosty,

My disco always used to go like that , mornings only , then more and more...eventually screaming like you wouldnt believe.

If it is belt contamination you could try cleaning the belt , stop the engine and using a brush scrub the belt (the V grooved side) with detergent (dish soap is ok)

rinse well , start and stop the engine so the belt rests in a different place , repeat the scrubbing , and so on until you are happy it's clean.

If you are feeling brave (be careful) I was told this tip by a landrover mechanic in the UK.
Hold a flat blade screwdriver (tight) and touch the blade on the running belt , going away from you so the screwdriver doesnt dig in.
The Cr@p will be scraped off , one V at a time , you will notice the noise diminshing as you do all the V's.

This is a great roadside tip , I've used it many times , the scrubbing is safer but more messy.

You may see aerosol belt dressing for sale , these are usually rubber softeners which make the belt very sticky.Whenever I tried them it improved for a few hours and then screamed worse Shocked

Mart

I've googled a bunch of stuff on this topic and was also told brake cleaner works great. I'm off to the store now to purchase a few things and try these all out. Thanks for the tip! I think I'll try if without the vehicle running Very Happy. I'll keep you posted.

Post #196086 Fri Nov 14 2008 12:51am
BigMart

United Kingdom 

scraping the belt with the engine running is no problem due to my ninja and s.a.s training.

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

brake cleaner should work ok.

Post #196098 Fri Nov 14 2008 7:14am
Frosty_Power

Just to give you guys an update. I sprayed my belts with brake cleaner and also sprayed the pulleys as well to try and clean them out. So far, so good. The squeaking noise is gone and has been nice and quiet for 2 weeks now Mr. Green . That's the cheapest fix on my RRS Thumbs Up .

Post #198109 Tue Dec 02 2008 12:38am
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

My car is in the stealers for this exact fault NOW - and for the second time Rolling Eyes Shocked

The 1st time was told there is a TB relating to rubbing on the housing by the belts - fix is to SHAVE Shocked the housing to allow free movement, all belts etc were also replaced.

Fix worked a treat, until we got hit with the blizzard in October and all hell broke loose in the evening leaving work Evil or Very Mad

From that day on, the noise has reappeared and is now being resolved AGAIN in the stealers. Only happens from COLD - for some bizarre reason

Asked a fair question - why should it reappear AFTER the fix...was told, it can happen and they are now repeating the procedure Rolling Eyes

How much did we pay for these cars Shocked Shocked Hats off they are fixing it, but jees louise its just not cricket Big Cry L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

5 series for the miles Smile

RRS S/C factory built HST - Gone

45 others have been and gone!

Post #198110 Tue Dec 02 2008 12:56am
cubbyno9

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Hi, I am having the same problem, real pain. I found that if I spray WD40 down on the belt it disappears ish. Ended up replacing the belt and all was good for just over a week.

Currently working offshore at moment and my wife phoned day after I left to say the noise was back bad as ever......
Is it just the belt or could something else be the issue. When the car is warm it starts no problem with no noise, only first thing or when engine is cold.

Getting really hacked off with it now and need it sorted Big Cry 2017 Range Rover Sport HSE

Post #447004 Thu Jan 01 2015 12:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1