RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Tailgate open/close issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

MX

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Java Black
Tailgate open/close issues

Before I make a muppet of myself at the dealer I thought I would ask a question here.

When I open the glass, all I need is to hit the unlock button on the keyfob

When I want to open the tailgate I hit the round button on the car, or the LR button on the keyfob

That all works (most of the time)

Is it normal for you to have problems if you open the glass first by mistake, then not being able to open the tailgate after closing the glass?

Just spent 10 minutes in the Censored ing down rain trying to get the tailgate to open (despite the car telling me it was open and not arming the alarm!!!!). Tried every combination if keyfob, unlock/lock buttons in the car....... eventually it just worked and allowed me to open the tailgate fully then reclose it.

Anyone had similar issues or is this a design feature?

Thanks RRS TDV6 SE Java Black +towpack +tintent +Permagrin

What a difference between this and my old Disco3
Formerly mxgeldar7

Post #161571 Wed Mar 26 2008 12:31am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

No sounds odd. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #161585 Wed Mar 26 2008 8:34am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

I had a similar thing happen on mine, but it was with the tailgate, not just the glass. It turned out I hadn't quite shut the hatch properly and the lock hadn't quite engaged. I couldn't open it to reclose it, so had to give it one big push to get it to engage.... once that was done, it all returned to normal. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #161603 Wed Mar 26 2008 10:21am
RonnieG

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

The dealer showed me when I picked mine up that if u open the glass boot and then open the main boot it locks as the glass could hit the roof. When this happens the boot locks and to un lock it you hit the lock button on the key fob and the big button on the main boot twice and it will free itself.

Post #161684 Wed Mar 26 2008 2:13pm
aaron14051989

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HST Izmir Blue

TRY PRESSING THE LOCK UNLOCK BUTTONS ON THE DASH FOR THREE SECONDS AND THEN TRY TO OPEN IT ITS JUS THE LATCH AINT CATCHED PROPERPY.

Post #162312 Sat Mar 29 2008 12:39am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MX

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Java Black

Thanks guys - all these seem to work

I think I was expecting the locking mechanism for the glass not to require slamming shut to engage it. I may ask the dealer to have a look just to make sure it is set up correctly. If I slam the glass closed I dont have the issue so it seems to be the lock no engaging properly RRS TDV6 SE Java Black +towpack +tintent +Permagrin

What a difference between this and my old Disco3
Formerly mxgeldar7

Post #162466 Sun Mar 30 2008 10:52am
razorsedge

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Hi, I'm new on here having recently moved away from the blue/white propeller to the Land Rover family and the wonderful RRS, but also the unfortunate incompetence of the LR 'stealers' that we refer to so very well!

Anyway, I had the tailgate lower lock mechanism failing on me recently, after closing the boot with a near full load and it not being able to shut automatically. The top part opened without any issues still, but try as you might the lower bit was stuck between open and closed, and it could do neither! Additionally, the interior light stays on, the aperture open 'horn blast' continued to sound off each time the alarm was armed, which all in all eventually drained the battery, leaving me immobile at home on one occasion

After getting the battery charged again, I took the RRS to a local Stratstone's to be told that it need the whole rear interior trim taken off from the inside probably damaging some of the interior on the way to get to the fault, and a whole day would be needed too!

Following threads through this forum, I felt that what the stealer had said had got to be wrong (how could LR design something so Censored !) and also found that the fault is not only quite common, but is rarely solved without main dealer involvement, which would probably be expensive, as the work prescribed vastly outweighed the actual issue!

Thankfully, the RRS still has a small amount of warranty left with LR Assist included so I called them out as it says that warranty issues would also be covered at home or roadside through this facility. Great. These fella's came out, understood immediately what the issue was, and rectified it within two minutes.

Essentially, what's happened is similar to other responses on this thread in that the car doesn't know if the boot is shut or open and is in a position of stasis not knowing what to do - so it does nothing! The fix was dealt with by the two recovery men grabbing the tailgate on the left and right with opposing hands and force being focused on the center of the lower tailgate lock, moving the tailgate up as far as it would go (a couple of cm's) before almost 'slamming' the boot with a lot of grunt into the latch. This procedure 'force closes' the hatch and once the battery was recharged (again) the boot opened and closed as normal - brilliant!

What I was told is that the boot should never be allowed to rest near the lower latch in case it engages with the mechanism but doesn't have enough force to fully operate the power close procedure! This is the partial close experience I had with the overload at the beginning of all this.

Hope this helps, if your LR assist is still valid - use it as the guys that came ot to see me taught me more about the car, how it works, what it can do than the dealers ever will.

Best of luck people.

Post #409783 Thu Jan 16 2014 3:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1