Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Same old question about tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

AlanEricThompson

England 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Same old question about tyres

Same old question about tyres.
I need two new tyres 275/40/20, I only do about 10k miles a year and do not thrash my RR.
Can anyone suggest a good mid range price tyre.
I have a couple of Evergreen tyres on the fron that came on the car when i purchased it, should I get two more of those, the reviews look ok.

Alan

Post #408664 Wed Jan 08 2014 2:03pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

What make are the tyres being replaced?

I've never heard of Evergreen but a look online suggests they're yet another Chinese firm. Chinese budget tyres don't generally stack up well against European competition when objectively tested.

A mid-price tyre that might suit is the General Grabber GT. This is a 100% on-road tyre.

General Tires are part of the Continental group so they have solid backing. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #408667 Wed Jan 08 2014 2:28pm
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

If your car is under any sort of warranty you might want to stick to tyres that LP recommend!

I have the Pirelli Scorpion Assimetrico ( being replaced by the Verde) as they're an all-season tyres with some off-road capability. LR approved in 19 and 20 inch diameters.

Post #408668 Wed Jan 08 2014 2:35pm
AlanEricThompson

England 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Went for the General Grabber GT as I had spotted a few good reviews.

Post #409307 Mon Jan 13 2014 1:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Good choice. Thumbs Up Please call us 01737 241370 for the quickest response Smile

www.ajstyres.co.uk

Post #409496 Tue Jan 14 2014 5:22pm
ngins

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Has anyone got experience of the Grabber AT as a day-to-day all season tyre?
I know it is officially a winter tyre but most of the reports I have seen (including some on this forum) seem to suggest that for our wonderful weather UK with typical ambient temperatures between 5-20 degrees C and no shortage of rain in general means that actually we are better off running winter tyres all year than summer tyres. There is a minor loss of dry performance but this is far offset by the amount of time it is actually truly dry and is nowhere near as big as the loss in performance of a summer tyre in the wet or cold.

It is probably an age old debate but would be good to know if anyone is running the AT rather than the GT or who has run both and what the differences are.........Shame the UHPs were stopped - was probably the best all round tyre I have ever had on any car regardless of cost! Sad MY2010 RRS 5.0 S/C Santorini Black, 5 Spoke Diamond Turned Alloys, Privacy, Logic7, iPod, Cameras

Post #409644 Wed Jan 15 2014 4:23pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The Grabber AT isn't a winter tyre, it's an all-terrain tyre. I'm not aware that they are marked (or marketed) as a winter tyre. Certainly they don't have the heavy siping of a winter tyre.

I had a set fitted on Saturday so I haven't done much mileage on them yet. So far they have been quieter than I thought they might be - certainly no noisier than the Vred Wintrac winter tyres that were on the vehicle previously. They are a reasonably knobbly tyre and I've read that they do get a bit noisier as they wear but I guess I'll find out at some point. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #409784 Thu Jan 16 2014 3:17pm
ngins

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

my bad - are they marked multi-season? thanks for the feedback - would be great to know how you get on over time. And I guess that means I now need to find a winter tyre based on the research to use all year round! Does anyone do this in the UK?? MY2010 RRS 5.0 S/C Santorini Black, 5 Spoke Diamond Turned Alloys, Privacy, Logic7, iPod, Cameras

Post #409818 Thu Jan 16 2014 8:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1