RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Warning : dogs in the new RRS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

peanutbob

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver
Warning : dogs in the new RRS

On the new model, with the electric tailgate, there are 2 spring loaded covers which retract when the tailgate closes, and open again on lifting. So, visually when the gate opens, the covers then disguise the metal hook which the gate slots into. To a dog this looks all solid.
Two days ago, one of my springer spaniels stood on the plastic covers, before jumping out, which clamped one of her legs causing panic, and she fell out at half cock on her back, with a slightly pulled leg.
I forgot about this unfortunately, and today, the same thing re-occurred with the front leg again being trapped the in the plastic covers, dog fell out onto her back, twisted leg and blood from one of the nails, and a sore back.

Even with a dog crate, this is likely to occur as the dog will come straight out of the crate onto to the lower valance where the plastic cover sits in the middle. For now, I think I will have to use a lead to strap the dogs in to stop them leaping out when the tailgate opens. If the plastic covers can be removed that probably will solve the situation, but I'm not sure whether that will affect the electric tailgate operation.

Post #406181 Sat Dec 14 2013 8:53pm
whippetman

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Sorry to hear that.Hope the dog recovers soon!
I have two whippets and ordered a made to measure tailgate guard for my 2011
RRS from Barjo, see link below.
Used with a behind seat cargo barrier it gives maximum space for dogs and stops them jumping out when the tailgate opens.
Also allows them to enjoy fresh air with the boot open.
Cost approx £200 but great peace of mind!
I also attached a mat to the guard which drops down over the bumper so that they jump out clear of any obstruction and don't scratch the bumper.Works well for me!
See:
http://www.barjo.co.uk/products/tailgate-guards

Post #406185 Sat Dec 14 2013 9:29pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

This needs reporting to lrcs for urgent attention before someone ends up with serious injury to a dog Shocked Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #406189 Sat Dec 14 2013 10:06pm
peanutbob

I was thinking about doing this...so will send Jason Stuart from JLR a link to this thread.

Thanks, whippet man ref the Barjo tailgate guard..but I see delivery could be a few weeks, but will call them

I looked on the Trans K9 site to check the cost of the cage plus bumper protection mat, and if they are ok with this... here's a photo of one fitted in the RRS without mat...but you can see from this how a dog can step on the spring loaded cover, which then traps the paw.

Click image to enlarge

Just need to get this sorted pretty quick, as this can't happen again.

Post #406198 Sat Dec 14 2013 10:37pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

I had a dogbag for our Lab and when unzipped the flap covered the bumper to stop scratches. The westie I have now is terrified of being in the bag so now have a dog cage witha waterproof picnic rug under the cage - part of the rug is unrolled and dropped over the bumper before opening the cage to protect the bumper but would also cover the problem area for you. The rug is rolled up before I shut the boot. This could be a quick fix for you maybe Confused Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #406204 Sat Dec 14 2013 11:06pm
simonsti

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze

Or just tell them to stay until the tailgate is fully up and you can help them out. Whistle 2014 Nara Bronze SDV6
GONE TDV6 HSE RRS in Giverny green,Ebony interior, Side steps,Tints, PTI, Tow pack, mud flaps, Side strips and Dynamics pack.

Post #406285 Sun Dec 15 2013 9:48pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Easy solution with the last dog (Labrodor) not so easy with excitable westie and jack Russell and based on my parents last spaniel guess similar issue Rolling Eyes Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #406298 Sun Dec 15 2013 10:39pm
peanutbob

Quite so!
BTW I had a look today under the spring loaded covers, and there is a drop of circa 1.5" to the bottom of the plate, so what can occur is that the dog's paw falls through the cover and gets clamped between the cover and the metal ring which the tailgate would slot into. As occurred twice this week.
In a perfect world, all dogs would sit nice and quietly in the boot whilst the tailgate opens, but even with well trained gundogs, they are apt to leap out at a second's notice, using the lower valance edge as the leap off point! The only solution is to ensure dogs cannot get out until a cover goes over the area.

Post #406300 Sun Dec 15 2013 11:06pm
DaveW

United Kingdom 

As a Springer owner myself, I was really saddened to read this. Consequently I've asked the RRS Vehicle Engineering manager to look into it and he's forwarded to the relevant team for comments.

Post #407700 Wed Jan 01 2014 10:49am
peanutbob

Thanks for the update! I also sent an e mail to JLR ref this and received no reply. The affected Spaniel had to have two nails removed as they were both broken at the base. So, with 2 broken nails and a twisted leg, this caused considerable pain to the dog.
The issue is that there is a large well below the spring loaded catches which acts as a trap. I've tried stuffing the well with foam, but the amount needed stops the gate from locking down! Only solution is to have a towel over the area.

Car also goes in for a recall soon (applicable to Dynamic versions) to re route the battery cable, so will mention this to the dealer also.

Post #407702 Wed Jan 01 2014 11:18am
DaveW

United Kingdom 

No problem, will be interested to hear what the dealer says but suspect its out of his hands

Post #407823 Thu Jan 02 2014 10:09am
andman

Andorra 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

how worrying..... and deeply distressing.... 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's
2013 Porsche Boxster S 3.4
2014 Audi A3 S line Quattro
---------------------------------

Post #407834 Thu Jan 02 2014 12:13pm
peanutbob

Further bad news .

Today, I was at Nantwich Veterinary Hospital in my new 2015 RRS which I ordered with a rear bumper protector to hopefully avoid the issue I had before. The visit was for a final check on the older Springer who had a a recent cruciate ligament operation, and who also had suffered the injury as detailed in this post.
On arriving at the car park, with the tailgate lifting I had no chance to put the mat over the rear bumper and the deep well which is covered by the spring catches that lock the upper gate into place, before the younger spaniel attempted to leap out impaling her leg into the well covered by the spring catches as it appears to be all one piece. The result was two nails torn off once again as per the other dog, substantial pain for the dog and blood everywhere.
I hope someone at LR will finally take note of this issue. I've had Spaniels for 35 years and 45 cars in this period also. To have it happening twice in 18 months in the same model of car indicates an issue. It is now a major worry.

Post #462498 Wed May 20 2015 7:39pm
Hobster

United Kingdom 

That's terrible, so sorry to hear. 😔 MY16 SDV6 AB Dynamic Stealth
Previous: R8 V10, S3, R8 V8, RS6 Saloon, FFRR AB (L322), RS6 Avant, Lancia Integrale Evo 2, Mk2 Golf GTI

Post #462500 Wed May 20 2015 7:53pm
peanutbob

Thanks...

Post #462501 Wed May 20 2015 8:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>