RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Orders (L494) > Who's going for "Driver Aids"?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Mark_N

United Kingdom 
Who's going for "Driver Aids"?

I'm wondering whether people here are going for what you might call the second tier driver aids beyond basic parking sensors which add significantly to the cost, may be nice as toys but which contribute next to nothing at re-sale...

- Adaptive Cruise Control
- Auto Dipping Headlights
- Self-Parking
- Reversing Camera/Surround Camera
- Blind Spot Monitoring and its variants
- Wade Sensing
- Adaptive Xenons

I know some of them are standard on some model variants and there's probably others I can't remember. What are your thoughts? Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #404394 Sun Dec 01 2013 8:42am
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

I am.

All of them - and a few more.

Most will get used once or twice, but it's my car. 

Post #404397 Sun Dec 01 2013 10:33am
SteveK

United Kingdom 

I have added those that don't come on the AGB to my order (apart from the wading sensors, even I couldn't justify those!). I suspect only the surround cameras will get a huge amount of use after first weekend of driving the HSE, but what the heck.

Post #404422 Sun Dec 01 2013 3:13pm
PauloAmore

Scotland 

- Self-Parking
not used yet.

- Reversing Camera/Surround Camera
advertised as digital, but looks analouge (VHS quality). As eomeone else wrote, as long as you haven't used BMW's system; you'll think its ok. Otherwise; its poor.

- Blind Spot Monitoring and its variants
Works well actually. Detects cars approaching from the side (for example, 25m up the road when reversing out of a driveway)

- Adaptive Xenons
Could be brighter IMHO. 2022 P440e AB

Post #406330 Mon Dec 16 2013 10:42am
Dickie

United Kingdom 

Auto-dipping headlights - utterly useless and arguably dangerous. They don't dip when they should and more often than not dazzle oncoming traffic.

Auto-cruise control I also am not a fan of. Useful for commutes with lots of traffic but for open motorways I find it irritating when it suddenly detects something you're overtaking if there's a slight bend and slams the anchors on. I preferred my Vogue which just had the standard cruise without the radar bit.

Post #406515 Tue Dec 17 2013 8:14pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

I agree with you about radar cruise control - presumably, you can set it up to be just like normal cruise control and forget the radar bit? Mark

Post #406678 Thu Dec 19 2013 9:59am
blue

Italy 

I have ordered adaptive cruise control since I had a very positive experience in last four years with Mercedes E-Class same optional. I found it very useful when not used... I mean the function it has to alert and brake in case of distraction by the driver. In the E Class it has surely avoid me a couple of small accident and it gives me a good sense of confidence.
I hope it will works same in RRS LR implementation, somebody could confirm if experienced both system (Land a Rover and Mercedes)? Thanks

Post #413387 Mon Feb 10 2014 9:22pm
mse

United Kingdom 

I don't have:
Adaptive headlights - because they annoyed me, but not as much as High Beam Assist
Adaptive cruise was a pain every time and I didn't like it

Everything else I have - although I cant get self par and possibly wouldn't - a because I don't like parallel parking bays and b because I can do it myself if I need to. Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #413394 Mon Feb 10 2014 9:50pm
blue

Italy 

Quote:
Adaptive cruise was a pain every time and I didn't like it

Could you better explain why? Thank a lot

Last edited by blue on Tue Feb 11 2014 8:22am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #413411 Mon Feb 10 2014 10:31pm
mse

United Kingdom 

similar to "Dickie" above it seemed to just over-react or under-react etc...so I ended up doing it myself to feel safer Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #413426 Mon Feb 10 2014 11:35pm
Senna

2010 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I have all of the above apart from the surround camera option.
Have surround cameras on my Evoque and didn't find them particular useful for day to day driving plus their actual image quality leaves a lot to be desired (as some have already said, almost VHS quality) Current...
Just Landed....MY2014.5 Mariana Black HSE Dynamic with tons of toys
MY2014 Evoque Si4 Dynamic Santorini black with toys galore
2010 Porsche Carrera 2S (997.2) Basalt black with PDK

On Order: Porsche Macan S Diesel...eta March 2015

Previous
2010 RRS HSE Santorini black (super reliable and will be missed)
3 x Boring Audi's, Q7, TT, A4 Cab (yawn)

Post #413776 Thu Feb 13 2014 12:27am
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

The main benefit of the surround camera option for me is threading the car through width restrictions and when parking and the fact the RRS is 5 inches wider than the a Evoque makes it a more compelling option for me. Just one damaged (and, say, wrecked) rim when parking would pay for the option.

I agree the image quality is not that great but in my experience, they are fit for purpose. Mark

Post #413783 Thu Feb 13 2014 7:18am
blue

Italy 

@mark these are the reasons has convinced me to order the cameras, despite their quality not excellent but enough for purpose.

Regarding the adaptive cruise control I have it in Mercedes E-Class and I have found it very very useful for the "auto breaking" feature always on... It has saved me many times when distracted...

Post #413785 Thu Feb 13 2014 7:22am
Senna

2010 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Mark_N wrote:
The main benefit of the surround camera option for me is threading the car through width restrictions and when parking and the fact the RRS is 5 inches wider than the a Evoque makes it a more compelling option for me. Just one damaged (and, say, wrecked) rim when parking would pay for the option.

I agree the image quality is not that great but in my experience, they are fit for purpose.

In all honesty I've only used the surround cameras on the Evoque just once and that was to make sure I was close enough to a flooded kerb so my passenger didn't have to step into 6 inches of water.

I find most of the time a quick look at my wheel positions via the Evoques huge wing mirrors as I'm reversing into a space gets me in just fine. Wing mirrors are also super HD resolution providing they are kept clean lol.

All joking aside, I'm not really that bothered about the resolution if truth be told. I'm just not happy with regard to the implementation of LR's tech with the cameras.

Assuming the surround cameras in the new RRS work in exactly the same way as our Evoque's, parking whilst using the relevent camera/s would mean several screen presses before you even get to see the kerb/wheels. Add an extra press for those that forget that the screen defaults to its reversing camera upon selecting reverse which is brain damage in itself.

What they should have done is this.......

Indicating to the left and selecting reverse should have resulted with the screen automatically being split into two half's/side by side images. One half showing the rear of the car via the boot camera. The other half of the screen showing the left hand side of the car.

Parking on the right, similar thing but you see the right side of the car plus the rear.

It's not rocket science but sadly, most software designers seldom apply logic to their work, LR's people anyway.

I employ a couple of programmers myself who are very clever chaps but when it comes to basic practicality for ease of use they struggle.

I've been driving since 1973 and have yet to kerb a wheel on any of my cars using my wing mirrors. Still the quickest way to park without dinging the wheels IMO. Current...
Just Landed....MY2014.5 Mariana Black HSE Dynamic with tons of toys
MY2014 Evoque Si4 Dynamic Santorini black with toys galore
2010 Porsche Carrera 2S (997.2) Basalt black with PDK

On Order: Porsche Macan S Diesel...eta March 2015

Previous
2010 RRS HSE Santorini black (super reliable and will be missed)
3 x Boring Audi's, Q7, TT, A4 Cab (yawn)

Post #413820 Thu Feb 13 2014 12:20pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

I agree with your comments about computer programmers - I was an engineer turned one myself and it's tough to find programmers with that practical grounding. How some aspects of the Evoque made it through usability tests is completely beyond me. Mark

Post #413941 Fri Feb 14 2014 7:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1