RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Tips & Tricks > RRS Ride height
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

every1callsmeb

2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Bonatti Grey
RRS Ride height

I'm trying to figure out why it does this, but sometimes when I walk away from my car and lock it with the remote, it automatically lowers. It's been sporadic, I haven't been able to retrace why it does it.

Any ideas?

Post #64446 Wed Nov 01 2006 3:30am
Lateral5

Australia 

Presume that you have not already programmed that feature into your key (3rd button)?

Mine also does that, you get a puff or two of air expelling and the back drops a litttle. Don't think it is anything to be worried about, but I might check with my dealer. Perhaps it is letting out excessive air presure in the suspension. RRS TDV6 Bluetooth, VR, Roof

Post #64448 Wed Nov 01 2006 3:50am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
landroverstormer

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Lateral - nothing to worry about. Obviously you can adjust the height yourself and the car will auto raise from rest and auto-loer from off-road mode. What you are hearing is the vehicle self-leveling. What you are hearing is a slight puff of air as it releases one corner (or poss more depending on how it's parked), to make the car level.

I find that if you park on full lock it slightly raises the front corner that you have steered towards, this then causes the puff of air on occasions.

Nothing to worry about as the suspension is linked side to side (i.e off side rear to near side rear, so when one wheel is depressed the other is raised, this helps with articulation off road).

I'm such a geek! Idea TDV8 HSE in Java/Ebony with Zebrano Wood, RSE, Hybrid TV, and a few other bells and whistles.

Discovery 1 V8i Auto (The Off Road Toy)

Post #64452 Wed Nov 01 2006 7:48am
MDP

United Kingdom 

It's all quite normal - dont worry - characteristic of the car. 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #64474 Wed Nov 01 2006 11:06am
Josh

United Kingdom 

My advice is lock it down when you park up. Otherwise you may face software issues and malfunctions on the suspension like others have on here Exclamation
Also if you leave it for any length of time not locked down it will constantly self level and you will have a flat battery. TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #64598 Wed Nov 01 2006 7:15pm
chex

you mean at access height?

Post #64603 Wed Nov 01 2006 9:11pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Mine gets left on the drive for 3-4 months at a time in normal height mode without being driven and settles down to access height over time, have not yet suffered a flat battery due to the self levelling trying to self level or due to the burglar alarm/ immobiliser. As soon as the the remote is operated it "wakesup", starts first turn of the key and rises to normal height once the engine is running and the compressor is activated. I haven't had any suspension or battery problems in the 17 months I've owned it. Don't worry about it, mine also occassionally vents the suspension after I have parked up. BTW you don't even need to set the EPB, it will automatically engage after a short while of being parked. The only problem I have suffered after a long "park" has been slight "binding" of the EPB with a squeeling EPB for a couple of hundred feet after driving off and then it disappears. My RRS sits out on the drive all the time. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #64604 Wed Nov 01 2006 9:42pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
landroverstormer

There is some truth in the waking-up tale that is told. Basically it linked to where the car is parked. I will explain for those who've not knodded off already.

When you lock the vehicle, certain ECU's stay live for a pre-determined time so as not to have to re-boot from scratch if you return after a short period. When you unlock the vehicle after a longer period of time (30 mins or so) the car starts to wake up before you've even opened the door (i.e ECU's start to log-on so to speak). So basically the car is constantly looking out for your remote signal.

This is where it gets interesting.....

If you put the vehicle into access mode, the vehicle assumes that it will not be driven for a longer period (i.e not just nipping into the shop for a paper)paper), therefore its completely goes to sleep and will not keep an eye out for your remote signal.

Now (for those of you hanging in there)......

The remote works on 400htz, which is now quite a comon frequency for garage doors, gates, CCTV, baby monitors, park-heating, airports etc etc. Therefore, if you don't put the vehicle in access mode and the car picks up a similar frequency (doesn't have to be the exact one for the car), it will momentarily wake up, then after a while go back to sleep. Depending on where you live and what other frequencies are in the air, the car could wake up and go to sleep many times a day. If you multiply this over a few weeks you end up with a dead battery.

So, if you've never had the problem then congratulations, but if you have then park the car in access (doesn't have to be locked in access) and you should have a perky battery that's ready to go! TDV8 HSE in Java/Ebony with Zebrano Wood, RSE, Hybrid TV, and a few other bells and whistles.

Post #64611 Wed Nov 01 2006 10:55pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Thanks for the explanation Stormer................ will now go and tell off my father for not putting it to "bed" properly after taking me to the airport! I live out in the countryside where we don't get so many signs of affluence as garage door openers and electric gates etc that would continually "wake" it up! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #64613 Wed Nov 01 2006 11:11pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Wink 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #64614 Wed Nov 01 2006 11:24pm
landroverstormer

It's not just you're Sport that can be put to sleep with the click of a button (or several laid out in a QWERTY manner)!!

Thud Whistle Thud Whistle Thud TDV8 HSE in Java/Ebony with Zebrano Wood, RSE, Hybrid TV, and a few other bells and whistles.

Post #64615 Wed Nov 01 2006 11:26pm
bkehoe

Ireland 

So tell me this then. If the car is asleep and its radio receiver is off, how does it hear it's own remote?!?!? Wink

Post #64618 Thu Nov 02 2006 12:54am
landroverstormer

When the car is not in access mode it is constantly looking for similar frequencies (not necesarily your key), so that it can have a head start booting the various systems. This is when it can be woken from other signals.

When the car is asleep it only reacts to your key frequency. You can tell when your car has been asleep as the sat nav takes much longer to come up (i.e. blank screen and logo for longer).

All very difficult to explain in text, but promise it's true!!!! Yawn TDV8 HSE in Java/Ebony with Zebrano Wood, RSE, Hybrid TV, and a few other bells and whistles.

Post #64621 Thu Nov 02 2006 7:08am
Roland

Switzerland 

it's all a bit confusing, isn't it?

I am living in a rural area and do park my car in the garage overnight, usually at normal ride height, but I don't lock it. Is this not a good idea then?

Roland SOMETIMES YOU'RE THE BUG AND SOMETIMES YOU'RE THE WINDSHIELD

2010 TDV8 Ultimate Edition, zermatt-ebony-grand lacquer, and all the goodies, plus Superchips Bluefin ECU performance upgrade, Gibson Performance exhaust tips

gone after only 7 months: MY10 TDV63.0 HSE, zermatt-ebony-anigree, Dynamic Response, Rear diff-lock, flappy paddles, premium leather, Sunroof, PTI, privacy glass, S/C design 5 Spoke Diamond Turned alloys

Post #64627 Thu Nov 02 2006 8:43am
landroverstormer

To be honest Roland I'm not sure..... Embarassed

If I were to guess then I'd suggest that the car won't be in it's proper sleep mode. I will ask my man 'on the inside' and will report back!

The issue with flat batteries is the constant waking (which causes the systems to boot), but if the car is open then perhaps it won't be looking for the 400htz signal.

Hmmmm interesting angle! TDV8 HSE in Java/Ebony with Zebrano Wood, RSE, Hybrid TV, and a few other bells and whistles.

Post #64641 Thu Nov 02 2006 10:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>