RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Land Rover Experience - Best Location?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

leondrums

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Land Rover Experience - Best Location?

I have four centre locations which are pretty similar in terms of travel time;

Market Harborough - 2hr 20
Luton Hoo - 2hr 20
Solihull - 2hr 50
Gaydon- 3hrs

Which centre would be the best overall experience? Also what is included in the complimentary experience - can I combine a factory visit? 2017 MY - Dynamic, same again!

2016 MY - Dynamic - same spec again all round, engine a noticeable improvement

2015 HSE Dynamic - same spec as the last plus Meridian, Full Size Spare & InControl Apps

HSE Dynamic 2014:
Ebony / Lunar, Heated Mirrors, Privacy Glass, Heated Steering Wheel, Red Callipers, Interior Mood Lighting, Ebony Headlining, Panoramic Roof, Electric Towbar, Centre Console Fridge.

Previously: 2011 RRS, Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Audi S5 Cab, RRS, Audi S4 Cab.

Post #401438 Fri Nov 08 2013 12:32pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I thought Luton Hoo was a bit small and simple when we had the forum day there earlier this year. They might have more there but I didn't see much evidence of it.

I did Gaydon a couple of years ago. A nice site but again it's quite compact. I think they may have extended it recently but I'm not sure. You can have a look at the Heritage Museum whilst you're there (might have to pay extra for that, not sure). When we did Gaydon they were only offering 1 hour taster sessions as they admitted the site was small. If they're doing longer sessions now then that would suggest they have extended it.

I haven't been to the other two but Solihull's course looks interesting from what I've seen in various pictures. If you could combine it with a factory tour then that might be a good day out.

If you can, I'd consider making the extra effort to get to Eastnor. The tracks and wading trenches there are quite good fun and the site is quite large. The usual concrete obstacles as you find at all sites, designed to show off the axle articulation etc., but the opportunity to use some of the development tracks in the woods makes it a bit better I think. You'd need to check whether your session would include those tracks however. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #401441 Fri Nov 08 2013 12:47pm
leondrums

I was thinking Solihull and to combine a factory tour whilst I was there... Thumbs Up

It's a half day experience so assume I can pay extra for the factory tour..? 2017 MY - Dynamic, same again!

2015 HSE Dynamic - same spec as the last plus Meridian, Full Size Spare & InControl Apps

HSE Dynamic 2014:
Ebony / Lunar, Heated Mirrors, Privacy Glass, Heated Steering Wheel, Red Callipers, Interior Mood Lighting, Ebony Headlining, Panoramic Roof, Electric Towbar, Centre Console Fridge.

Post #401444 Fri Nov 08 2013 12:56pm
RRSTDV8

I'm sure if you phone and speak to them they'll let you pay extra to do that. After all, this is JLR - taking money off of people is what they do very well... Rolling with laughter 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #401449 Fri Nov 08 2013 1:45pm
RRSTDV8

Hi elusive82, welcome to the forum Thumbs Up

I've been to Eastnor twice on their self-drive days - using our own vehicles on their tracks with instructors present. Great fun but sadly they've stopped doing them now.

I quite fancy doing a day there in one of their vehicles. A day in the new RRS might be fun... 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #401450 Fri Nov 08 2013 1:47pm
leondrums

Solihull isn't included for the complimentary half day Sad

So choices are between Market Harborough and Luton..which is best???

I'll book a factory tour separately as it's 3 hours and travelling will be 6hours there and back.. 2017 MY - Dynamic, same again!

HSE Dynamic 2014:

Post #401456 Fri Nov 08 2013 2:26pm
ravingmad

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

i did Luton earlier in the year, excellent half day.
Would recommend it. MY13.5 Autobiography, Santorini Black, Privacy Glass. Gone
Driving a milk float for now.

Post #401457 Fri Nov 08 2013 2:39pm
AlanEricThompson

England 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

We did the Rockingham Castle experience, it was really good. We went mid week and had the main man to ourselves. He was really good both on road and off road, we had the new Range Rover, very nice!
He knows his stuff ,

Post #401505 Fri Nov 08 2013 10:34pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

elusive82 wrote:

You must be quite confident to take your own motor out on the course, its a shame they've stopped the option as its a amazing opportunity for people to experience the limits of their own motor

It's important to remember that the courses are designed and built by Land Rover. They know what the vehicles can and can't do so it's actually not that bad. Occasionally we bottomed the RRS over the odd hump but nothing silly. The wading trenches were the bit that was most nerve wracking as water in the engine is terminal. Suffice to say that all went well and the tide mark on the doors showed that we'd driven through 2ft of water. The RRS didn't seem to care.

I think it's safe to say that you will run out of bottle or the tyre will run out grip before the vehicle runs out of capability. It's amazing how frightening 2ft of water looks when you're worrying about £5k of your own engine...

Apparently they stopped the self drive days because of a lack of interest. Amazing that several thousand LR vehicles are sold in the UK each year and they can't find 10 every 3 months to go off road. Says a lot about the LR customer base in my opinion. And it's exactly the reason why the RRS doesn't come with a low range box as standard. Sad. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #401524 Sat Nov 09 2013 2:29am
codfather

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

"It's important to remember that the courses are designed and built by Land Rover. They know what the vehicles can and can't do so it's actually not that bad"

The one up in Dunkeld is about as real life as you can get, the day starts with a drive on road to get a feel for the vehicle
The site uses a mixture of man made obsticles and open countryside, even a run through the Forrest on the massive Dunkeld estate (the Dunkeld Hilton is on site as well) well worth the day out, but is obviously a bit far for most!

Cheers
Dave MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Gone: a comprehensive list of imprezas and a Merc ML AMG

Post #401534 Sat Nov 09 2013 11:38am
jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I did the Rockingham course before I bought my RRS1 and found it much better than the Luton Hoo course. The venue was larger with a lot more mud than Luton.

Amazing what a factory spec car with normal supplied road tyres can do!

Jim

Post #401540 Sat Nov 09 2013 12:10pm
RRSTDV8

Sounds a bit like Eastnor in that regard. Lots of real tracks as well as the man-made obstacles. There's enough there for a full day's fun and more.

Tempted to make the effort to go up to Dunkeld... 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #401559 Sat Nov 09 2013 3:58pm
RRSTDV8

jim4244 wrote:

Amazing what a factory spec car with normal supplied road tyres can do!

Jim

I'm fairly sure that LR Experience vehicles are all fitted with the locking rear diff option (where available). That does make them a little bit more capable (waits for comments that the locking rear diff makes little difference). 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #401560 Sat Nov 09 2013 4:03pm
Sporting Chance

England 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

I've got an experience day booked at Luton in the new RRS in Dec at Luton.

Thinking I might change it now.

I fear, that having been well used to driving off road in 4x4s and large tractors, any of the courses will seem fairly tame to me.

Still be interesting to see the capability of the vehicle though.

Jim Current 2010 RRS TDV8
Gone 2009 D3 HSE TDV6
Gone 50th anniversary Defender
Gone 1992 Defender 200 TDI
Gone 1988 Defender TD
Gone 1979 Series 111 V6 Steve Parker conversion

Post #401572 Sat Nov 09 2013 6:42pm
RRSTDV8

If Luton offer full day experiences, maybe they have more stuff than we saw. To be honest, if you've done lots of off roading then the course will probably seem a bit "been there, done that". Still worth doing though as it lets you throw someone elses pride and joy at the scenery Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #401574 Sat Nov 09 2013 7:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>