Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Locking wheel nuts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

fearny

United Kingdom 
Locking wheel nuts

Gents,

Got to ask the question locking wheel nuts are they worth getting? and if the answer is yes then why not 2 sets.

Post #616917 Tue Aug 31 2021 12:33pm
Lindab

United Kingdom 

Why should you get 2 sets? Twice the security??, then why not 5 sets. Maybe I am not understanding the question.
I don't think wheels are being stolen as much nowadays & wonder if you need even one set. Its a heavy wheel to lug on/off & a heavy car to lift, but if they really want them they will get them. I think there is a master key that fits all combinations as my new S class Mercedes was delivered without a key. I went up to the main dealer who had them off in a couple of minutes, replaced them & gave me the locking key for that set. Range Rover Sport: Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe: 992 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post #616919 Tue Aug 31 2021 12:52pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The problem with the locking nuts provided by LR is that they suffer the same blown covers that affects the normal nuts. So you try to use the locking key and find it doesn't fit.

Better to just buy a full set of solid nuts to avoid the blown covers issue.

As Lindab says, wheel thefts aren't as common these days - they just steal the entire vehicle - and the vehicle isn't the easiest to jack up and the wheels are pretty heavy things to hump around. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #616921 Tue Aug 31 2021 1:00pm
fearny

United Kingdom 

Yeah i probably didnt word it right, Lindab and if you wanted to waste more money you could but this is my first post and wanted forum views as we all know the locking nuts can be over come and i was just doing a shopping search for black standard for black gloss alloys, and saw the full set of codes for sale how silly is that. They are just a delaying tactic like everything else. but your two good replies have made up my mind not to put any on. thanks Thumbs Up

Post #616922 Tue Aug 31 2021 1:47pm
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

If you've got LED tails (on a first model shape RRS), then get security screws for them - much more worthwhile. I've binned my lockers and gone solids but then you can pick up a set of standard 19's for a couple hundred quid with tyres.

Post #616987 Thu Sep 02 2021 9:24pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I'd have thought locking nuts would be a good bet if one is running a non-standard wheel, particularly if it's a design/size that are used on other makes - so aftermarket wheels, really.

I'd have thought, as mentioned, that the low cost of the standard, smaller diameter, wheels would make them less attractive to risk being caught trying to steal them.

I have solid wheel nuts on my RRS because the forum member I bought it from had already fitted them. I had been thinking of going down that route anyway so that was a nice bonus. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #616996 Fri Sep 03 2021 8:51am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1