RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Suspected rear diff failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
Suspected rear diff failure

Took my RRS in to the dealer today to have them investigate a rumbling noise. Hoped it was a front wheel bearing but the response was "that's one of the noisiest rear diffs I've heard". Censored .

Waiting for the dealer to clear replacement with LR's warranty people and then will get it booked in.

Been advised to limit use to "local" only which is a bit of a bother as I need to go up to Liverpool on Thursday (c.300mile round trip). Any ideas how total failure of the rear diff manifests itself? I assume the weak point is the pinion bearing and that failure could/would result in locking up of the entire rear axle. This would be a "bad thing" on a motorway run so I'm loathe to take it on Thursday.

Fingers crossed the warranty (LR Select Extended) covers it... 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #400353 Tue Oct 29 2013 1:02pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Sorry to hear that my fellow TDV8 owner Shocked

I don't know how total rear diff failure would manifest but would rather not find out!

Just so that I recognise it when it happens to mine - how did the symptom(s) develop and when do they occur? 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #400384 Tue Oct 29 2013 3:30pm
RRSTDV8

There is a loud groaning/whine (if that makes sense) at steady throttle and on the overrun. The steady throttle is especially noticeable at about 30-40mph and 60-70mph. Difficult to say under acceleration because of exhaust rumble but it seems to get slightly less noisy.

The overrun noise sounds a bit like the sound one gets from an old gearbox on the overrun which lead me initially to worry about a transmission / transfer box problem.

The steady throttle sound changes slightly with steering angle application which is why I'd hoped it was just a very tired front wheel bearing. One was changed a year ago so the other one going didn't seem unlikely.

I had the diff oils replaced at the last service (by a dealer, not indy) which makes me wonder if they managed to either put the wrong oil in or not put enough in. I'd have expected a diff that was to fail only a few thousand miles later to have showed up issues in the oil before noise symptoms were manifested. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #400389 Tue Oct 29 2013 3:41pm
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

With modern manufacturing tolerances its pretty unusual.

If the noise varies with load on and off it's probably the pinion bearings. Front pinion bearing (and crown-wheel/pinion teeth wear) is usually noisier when under load. Rear pinion shaft bearing noisier on over-run.

Sounds like the wrong lubricant if the noise has come on and worsened quickly, unless you've been wading and water has got in the vent pipe. A diff and its bearings will whine and whir for thousands of miles and very gradually the noise will take on a lower tone/frequency as it gets worse.

It all sounds a bit iffy to me so if you're going to have to pay I'd suggest it might be worth getting a sample of the oil tested.

If it sounds at all 'graunchy' I'd not drive it very far!

Post #400398 Tue Oct 29 2013 5:51pm
RRSTDV8

I can't say whether it's a noise which has got worse gradually or suddenly. I usually have the radio on and my hearing isn't top notch anyway. We recently had SWMBO's sister over for a visit from New Zealand; the radio was off because I wasn't in the vehicle on my own as is usual. That's when I noticed it. It could have been happening for 6 months or it might be 6 weeks... Embarassed

I have LR's Select warranty which is supposed to cover the diffs. They might, I suppose, argue wear and tear but it's only done 70k miles (actually 69.5k) on a 57 plate so it's hardly leggy. It's been serviced on schedule by LR all through too. The diff oil was changed by LR too, not an indy. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #400410 Tue Oct 29 2013 7:29pm
rigpig100

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Santorini Black

Not good, hope you get it sorted Ok.

Post #400451 Wed Oct 30 2013 9:25am
Meccles

Australia 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Ipanema Sand

Agree hope you get it sorted without too much drama. Good luck! SWMBO owns this car I get to drive occasionally Smile

Post #401048 Mon Nov 04 2013 11:48am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

L/R could argue that you have put too much stress on the diff due to your BAS map. Whistle

Post #401051 Mon Nov 04 2013 12:24pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

Going in on Wednesday for a new rear diff...warranty paying. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #401072 Mon Nov 04 2013 3:44pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Result. Thumbs Up

Post #401075 Mon Nov 04 2013 3:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Excellent outcome and proves extended LR Warranty after year 3 is well worth considering Bow down Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #401076 Mon Nov 04 2013 4:15pm
RRSTDV8

New diff fitted and there is a definite improvement in cabin noise, although there is still the noise that originally got my attention! Will have to keep an ear on it and see if it changes at all. The noise that has gone, if that makes sense, is akin to a slightly deeper road/wind noise from the rear end. That might be a useful diagnostic for other who suspect rear diff noise.

The garage phoned earlier in the day to say that the technician had noticed the rear brakes were worn to about 10% remaining and would I like to have them changed now. Decided to get them done today rather than have to take it in somewhere in the middle of winter at short notice when the light comes on. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #401365 Thu Nov 07 2013 5:36pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Oh dear - that familiar feeling of crushing disappointment as you drive away from the garage full of hope.......only to find the noise is still there Big Cry Know how you must feel.

More diagnosis called for now?

A hairdresser once explained to me why they always ask 'Been on holiday this year yet?' Apparently at college it is the first example on the list of 'questions to ask clients to make them feel wanted'.

Am convinced that 'your brakes will be worn out in the next (insert made up figure) thousand miles' is the mechanics equivalent. 'Oh well' says customer 'better have them done then' KERCHING! new discs (that you don't need) and new pads both at five times the wholesale price plus £120 pounds an hour for the spotty apprentice please sir. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #401373 Thu Nov 07 2013 7:32pm
RRSTDV8

Yes, it's annoying that there is still something making a noise. I just hope it's nothing too important/expensive like the front diff or the transfer box...

To be fair to them about the brake pads, I did look at the brakes a few weeks ago when I had the winter tyres fitted; I thought at the time that they were looking a bit thin. So it was no great surprise to have it mentioned by them today.

The pads were £50 plus a new sensor cable (although I thought one just reused the old one if it hadn't been activated by wear). Plus a couple of other bits. Sure I could have got it done cheaper somewhere else but then I'd have had to go and get them done taking even more time - at least the vehicle was already there with them so no additional time/mileage required from me. They also replaced a blown brake bulb (didn't even know it was blown). 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #401375 Thu Nov 07 2013 7:59pm
Andrew

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Firenze Red

The pad wear sensor corrodes and gets stuck in the old pad, they can be got out with care and a little time, but what garage would do that when they can sell you a new one?? 5.0 Ltr Superchrged RRS2, Chile Red, Sideways out of junctions!
TDV8 HST Stornaway on a 08.. remapped.. now gone and replaced, was a mighty fine car..
4.2 SC First Edition when they first came out, quick car!

Post #401397 Thu Nov 07 2013 10:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>