RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Are they really THAT bad?!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Concept

Are they really THAT bad?!

Looking for a 10MY RRS, been looking for a month or so, and now a bit concerned after digging and digging on the web.

My brother has a used car site, and him and his partner drive 12 plate Autobiographys, and they love them, however have warned me, I WILL experience problems, and to take out a good warranty, which they can sort. They have owned these since new, and had issues with both along the way.

They've sold all manor of vehicles for many years, and many Range and Land Rovers, so I value their advise, as well as what I have found on the net.

They had an SE I a few weeks ago, and we missed it by minutes, was a nice looking car, and had full dealer history, 40k on the clock. Just so happens this week the customer who bought it had an £800 issue with something turbo related!

Seems no matter how hard you might try, it really is luck of the dice with these.

I appreciate all cars have issues, and if you google any vehicle you can find unhappy owners, but these more than most it seems?

Need some positivity here, or I may have to side with the wife and get a Q7!

Come on, relight my enthusiasm!

Post #399365 Mon Oct 21 2013 10:20pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Welcome to the site. Thumbs Up
Fingers crossed Simple (forum member) doesn't reply to this thread. Laughing You would never buy a RRS after his experience. Whistle Then there is Victor Meldrew (Muddywheels) Another member who seems to have all the bad luck with his motors. Big Cry
I'm on my second RRS and to be honest, i can't fault any of them, 2.7 HSE & now running a 2012 SDV6. Thumbs Up As you say, it really is the luck of the draw. Fantastic vehicles when they are running right. Thumbs Up

Post #399391 Tue Oct 22 2013 7:28am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
big pimp

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I owned my 2010 from new.

In the time I've ow edit, and covered almost 60k the problems I've had have been:

Suspension knocking - replaced 4 times but probably could do with being replaced again
Power steering pump
Something connected to the power steering pump issue which affected the compressor

All were replaced under warranty.

I love it though, and if you can get a warranty you'll not be disappointed. MY10 HSE 3.0 TDV6 : Santorini Black : Ebony Interior w/Anigre wood : Privacy Glass (total) : Sunroof : Sidesteps : Hybrid TV : Detachable Tow Kit : Spare Wheel Cover : 22" Dished Supersports

Post #399392 Tue Oct 22 2013 7:50am
simple1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Cairns Blue

Who rubbed my lamp Whistle
Think its fair to say, my experience was the exception and generally the cars aren't too bad but they do go wrong more often than many makes. My issues were ineffectual dealer and lack of parts, LR to their credit, did do what they could to help even though the car was out of guarantee so can't complain.
Buy another one? Answer has to be No Thumbs Up 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀
TDV8 Sport HSE...... Gone. Loved it but it didn't love me!!
Now rolling in MY10 Fullfat TDV8 Vogue. Slammed it to go round corners🙈
Cruising daily #56 mph in a Volvo V8. 😱
Lots of other toys in the cupboard...😜

Post #399407 Tue Oct 22 2013 9:50am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DavidHirst

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Owned my 09 TDV8 for quite a while now and got to say, so far its been faultless. Its done 45k now and came from a main LR dealer with warranty. Probably best to always have a warranty on one and be sure its a good one !

Post #399415 Tue Oct 22 2013 10:52am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Cheek Evil or Very Mad

My brother had a 05 plate from nearly new until recently with very few problems Thumbs Up

I had 6 Lr's between 2000-10 and defended their reliability with a passion Bow down

Now on my second rrsport after issues with first between 2010-13 but because I loved it when it was working bought another and again having niggles Rolling Eyes

They are not perfect and dealers/Lr are not as great as they were but provided you have a good warranty you will find it hard to find anything else to match it for comfort and prestige Cool

Forums do tend to attract people with problems looking for advice or to vent but they also have members who are passionate too - I am one or the other from week to week Embarassed Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #399422 Tue Oct 22 2013 11:47am
codfather

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

OK, i will stick my head above the parapet, and no doubt be shot be shot down in flames with my next comment, but i think a lot of the problems are due to drivers not having any mechanical sympathy. if you drive over speed bumps like they are not there or hit standing water and watch the wave being thrown for miles or two a double horsebox every week, then yes you will have problems. BUT i hear you say , these cars are built for that - true, but most folks dont treat cars with respect, yes they may be polished within an inch of their lives, but it is what is underneath that gos wrong.

for the record, in 26 years of driving i have never had to replace a clutch in any of my cars (including some fearsome machinery in my youth) and i dont drive like miss daisy!!

cheers
Dave, with a trouble free 2010 45k mile RR Sport SE Thumbs Up MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Gone: a comprehensive list of imprezas and a Merc ML AMG

Post #399423 Tue Oct 22 2013 11:47am
Brian

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Got my RRS on 16th September and on 17th October it was recovered to the dealer needing a new alternator and battery. Plenty of info on here about alternators in RRS. Recovery, replacement alternator and hire car all supplied under warranty (I had to pay for the battery as it wasn't covered).

Hate to think how much it would have cost without the warranty. I use mine as my daily drive and it's a great car to drive and I really like it but, as has been said above, I wouldn't have one without warranty cover.

Had a Discovery before this, three and a half years of happy, relatively trouble free, motoring till near the end when the auto box went. No warranty, a cost of thousands and a replacement box to fix. Cheers
Brian

Owned: '13 HSE Black Edition 3.0 SDV6 Stornoway Grey
Gone: '57 HSE 3.6 TDV8, Zermatt Silver
Gone: '02 Discovery 2 TD5

Post #399424 Tue Oct 22 2013 11:56am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

I agree Dave some treat their vehicles in this way - I know a lot of farmers with defenders do and the only time they get serviced is when they need something fixed which is about every 3 years Whistle

I have never treated any of my vehicles like this and never had problems before or replaced clutches - never even bought tyres until I got a RRS Rolling Eyes

IMHO the sport was a Disco modified to appeal to footballers and boy racers and make a lot of money for LR - unfortunately this is when the problems started ie, blown turbos, seized engines, knocking suspension and poor handling in winter Sad

The new models are better hopefully as they should of been designed for purpose rather than adapted Confused Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #399426 Tue Oct 22 2013 12:03pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Well said Codfather.

Mechanical sympathy is sadly lacking from most driver's repertoire. Some of us are probably a bit OCD about it - for example I can't help flinching every time I hear someone pull up a handbrake without depressing the button first - aaaargh that sound of the pawl clicking in the ratchet mechanism Big Cry

Another valid point about the RRS is the sheer complexity - or to put it simply... there are more things to go wrong. You don't need a master's degree in advanced statistics to be able to work out that the probability of a fault developing increases linearly with the number of systems and components.

And a third factor - is sorting out problems when they first manifest themselves rather than just leaving them until they are serious or cause a breakdown: find the source of those few drops of oil on the driveway and fix the leak by maybe just fitting a new oil seal - sorted. Ignore the leak, wait until there is no oil left in the differential and it fails on the motorway taking out half the drivetrain with it. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #399428 Tue Oct 22 2013 12:14pm
simple1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Cairns Blue

Boom. Your shot Codmiester. Bow down Rolling with laughter
I have more qualifications than all of dealer employees I used so have too much mechanical knowledge, I build rally car engines for a hobby that last longer than my V8 Bow down . Always babied the car cold, serviced on or before time by dealer and at 48k miles boom Rolling with laughter I know my car had major problems and owning it from new should have been insurance enough but being a mechanical thing, it can and will go wrong. The argument about chipping and reliability still rattles on but when the same components fail time after time questions are asked. 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀
TDV8 Sport HSE...... Gone. Loved it but it didn't love me!!
Now rolling in MY10 Fullfat TDV8 Vogue. Slammed it to go round corners🙈
Cruising daily #56 mph in a Volvo V8. 😱
Lots of other toys in the cupboard...😜

Post #399429 Tue Oct 22 2013 12:20pm
lespes

Guernsey 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

17 years of landrover ownership, no major issues until this year with Landrovers most reliable product Freelander 2. Was on its third gearbox by 7,000 miles. The second gearbox demise was from poor workmanship on the original re placement. Once sorted problem free for the next 11k miles before selling.

I always spend a lot of time studying the interior if that is sound and well looked after the rest follows in my mind.

With Landrovers they are either good or bad, not much in between, the trick is finding the good one Thumbs Up Now driving a rather smart looking Van

Post #399486 Tue Oct 22 2013 7:00pm
Stuart

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I've owned many cars through the years, but only with Range Rovers do I need to join forums and spend hours on Google.

I've never known an upmarket car have so many reported issues. Yet still such a devout following. Aside of old Rollers.

When they are right, they are a proper tool. I like my new (06) one very much, but even at 43k, it needs to go in and have stuff done that on anything else really wouldn't be an issue this side of 100k+.

BUT, I was offered £1500 profit on mine the other day, and declined. So I think I am joining the ranks of devout owners too. Shocked

What suspension clunk? Whistle

Post #399500 Tue Oct 22 2013 7:47pm
MXSRR

England 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Sumatra Black

Stuart - believe me when I tell you that ALL cars even Beemers, Mercs, Audi's etc... all have their faults.. the RRS is no exception, you have to take into account that it is a very heavy bus, hence suspension faults being one of its downfalls.

I do not need to point out that most people stumble across car forums looking for advice and fixes on the tinterweb, that is why you only ever read about the bad points on forums... there are thousands of happy owners out there who do not even bother to go online, or even own a PC, who are blissfully unaware of any kind of faults, and enjoy driving their RRS without suffering from paranoia Very Happy MY2007 RRS TDV8 Black - tinted glass - side steps- stormer grille - 20" diamond cut alloys - alpaca leather - TV/DVD pack - some blingy chrome bits & bob's

Post #399503 Tue Oct 22 2013 8:06pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

My RRS is the best vehicle I've owned. It's also had more trips to the garage for various issues than any other. The next in line behind the RRS for reliability was a Mk4 Golf GTi PD150. Again, lovely car to drive but not that good on the reliability front. Lunched its gearbox at 65k miles for example.

The most reliable car was the Suzuki Swift Sport. Also a cracking little buzz saw hatch. Great fun and remarkably comfortable over long distances. Second most reliable is our Skoda Octavia estate.

Which goes to show that you can't tell just by the name on the front. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #399518 Tue Oct 22 2013 8:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>