Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Things I hate about winter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
Things I hate about winter

Possibly not what you were expecting:

What I really hate is all those sloppy articles that get published in every newspaper/magazine/website about this time of year. Usually introduced with a headline like 'make your car ready for winter' and a subtitle of 'Our Motoring Expert Kevin Analtard gives us his top winter motoring tips'.

The article will of course have been churned out by a barely literate 'journalist' fresh out of Luton University with a degree in media studies and consist of really useful advice about checking tyre pressures, cleaning the windscreen and making sure all your lights work. The sort of thing that anyone with half a brain would do ALL YEAR ROUND not just in the winter for crying out loud.

The great motoring public of course don't do any of those checks at any time of year let alone the winter and so at the first sign of a snowflake they all go skidding around on their bald, under-inflated budget Sanyongomoto ditchfinders, peering through their smeary windscreens that they can't clean because they haven't put any screen wash in the reservoir and they'll either have no lights on at all or have their rear fogs blazing away blinding everyone behind them. None of this of course will deter them from staring intensely down at their lap checking facebook on their 'phone. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #398712 Thu Oct 17 2013 3:06pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Flippin eck Paddi Shocked Do you feel better now you've got that off your chest. Question Laughing

Post #398713 Thu Oct 17 2013 3:10pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Marsie

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Stornoway Grey

Kevin Analtard Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #398739 Thu Oct 17 2013 6:53pm
sparky8181

England 

Can't beat a good rant eh Paddi Rolling with laughter

Post #398752 Thu Oct 17 2013 8:38pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Brill Thumbs Up Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #398794 Thu Oct 17 2013 11:34pm
JPR 1

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Excellent...just going to put some screen wash in now Embarassed Current Volvo XC90 R Design T8
Gone 2010 TDV8. Stornoway Grey
Gone VW R50, AUDI S8, ML320 Sport, FFRR V8
Stolen 2007 TDV8.

Post #398849 Fri Oct 18 2013 10:34am
MXSRR

England 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Sumatra Black

All very true Paddi Thumbs Up

It really boils my Censored how many people STILL think that using a dipped beam headlight in poor visibilty or at any other time, actually runs their battery down Shocked

I guess its a hangover from the days when dynamo's were fitted to cars, as they were not very efficient MY2007 RRS TDV8 Black - tinted glass - side steps- stormer grille - 20" diamond cut alloys - alpaca leather - TV/DVD pack - some blingy chrome bits & bob's

Post #398852 Fri Oct 18 2013 11:01am
BKHK

Australia 

What's winter?

Post #398883 Fri Oct 18 2013 1:12pm
Stuart

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
Re: Things I hate about winter

Paddi wrote:
they'll either have no lights on at all or have their rear fogs blazing away blinding everyone behind them.

Yes, the rear fog light brigade really get up my nose.

Having a headlight bulb out and trying to compensate for it by having the other on full beam bugs me as well.

Although, many years ago, aged 17, I was tooling up the A57 in my Morris Marina (£70 it was) and got stopped by a local rozzer. He asked me why I had my main beam on and pointed to the blue light on the dash. I had assumed that the blue light meant the lights were on. Laughing

Back in the days when we all taught ourselves to drive.

Post #398931 Fri Oct 18 2013 5:26pm
Zilch

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

BKHK wrote:
What's winter?

Laughing Thumbs Up

surely you remember the xmas cards with the grey, wet, dull and depressing scenery of people trudging around with their hands in their pockets and heads down BK.. Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

MY20 Defender 110 SE P400 Eiger/Ebony
MY10 3.0 RRS TDv6 Fuji/Ebony/Anigre

Post #398978 Fri Oct 18 2013 10:20pm
shadrack

United Kingdom 
Re: Things I hate about winter

Stuart wrote:
Paddi wrote:
they'll either have no lights on at all or have their rear fogs blazing away blinding everyone behind them.

Yes, the rear fog light brigade really get up my nose.

Having a headlight bulb out and trying to compensate for it by having the other on full beam bugs me as well.

Although, many years ago, aged 17, I was tooling up the A57 in my Morris Marina (£70 it was) and got stopped by a local rozzer. He asked me why I had my main beam on and pointed to the blue light on the dash. I had assumed that the blue light meant the lights were on. Laughing

Back in the days when we all taught ourselves to drive.

they totally Censored my life away, other day behind one on a19 for miles in the rain, main beamed him nothing? in the end i got so sick i just undertook the lane hogging fog light using tw@t, i mean the name FOG light is the clue, not rain/snow light, also boils my Censored when people use them when your directly behind them in fog or when theres a slight mist but you still have a miles worth of vision

Post #398983 Fri Oct 18 2013 10:38pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Well surprise surprise. Just watching BBC news channel and up popped a 'motoring expert' from the IAM who proceeded to merely confirm what I have always thought about this august body. "If you come across standing water there is risk you will experience a phenomenon we call hydroplaning" Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

He went on to suggest declutching to aid control. Typical hubristic nonsense. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #400089 Sun Oct 27 2013 4:19pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Quote:
i mean the name FOG light is the clue, not rain/snow light, also boils my

While i get what you are saying - i think they do say to use "fog" lights in the rain and snow now...ive even heard the radio traffic lady say turn them on.

I actually cant talk, i equally hate these stupid day time running lights...why do we need them, if the sun is out I can see the car with my eyes. If the weather is poor then lights should be on anyway.

DRL's - the most pointless thing to ever be mandated on a car. Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #400098 Sun Oct 27 2013 5:19pm
MXSRR

England 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Sumatra Black

Bad advice from the news lady then Rolling Eyes We all know that following cars with rear fogs on during wet weather conditions gives a star burst effect when the light emitted hits water droplets on the windscreen Evil or Very Mad MY2007 RRS TDV8 Black - tinted glass - side steps- stormer grille - 20" diamond cut alloys - alpaca leather - TV/DVD pack - some blingy chrome bits & bob's

Post #400102 Sun Oct 27 2013 6:00pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Its in the highway code i think...just checked - yes it is, apparently you should if the conditions are met to overall visibility not just fog:

Quote:

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236). Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

Im not sure i always agree though - i think its very much based on the conditions Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #400114 Sun Oct 27 2013 6:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>