RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Leaking Rear Anti Roll Bar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

hondagoneda

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver
Leaking Rear Anti Roll Bar

Had the RRS for about 1 week and noticed the dreaded oil on the driveway. Hoping upon hope that it was not my 18 month old Sport that was to blame - I checked the wife’s DS3 - no. Almost went as far as to ring my daughter to warn her of an oil leak on her Focus, and then checked the Sport. I realised it was dripping from the back end and getting worse. It was due back to the dealer to fix a non-functioning spare key, so they could do the needful with the Sport at the same time. The car was collected and the dealer rang about 2 hours later to tell me the Hydraulic Anti roll bar was leaking - the next day a call from the dealer, JL did not have one in stock going to be a week!!! Then a week later, “it’s going to be another week – still no stock” - not happy. Then miracles they managed to find one !!!!!!. Yippee
Question - it this a common failing, there was not any squeaking or knocking just a Censored oil well on the drive SDV6 HSE, Indus Silver/Ebony
Sometimes up front of a Bailey Pamplona Caravan

Post #396714 Mon Sep 30 2013 9:26pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Yes it's a common problem - but not usually quite that early. The ARC bar isn't protected by a boot so grit can get in and destroy the seals. Seems like another example of poor design considering this is supposed to be an off-road vehicle!

Ask the dealer to tell you exactly where the ARC bar is leaking: if it's from one of the hydraulic pipes where they enter the actuator body then we are led to believe the sealing 'O' ring can be replaced to fix the leak.

If it's leaking from the actuator where the ARC bar itself exits then bad news the only solution is a new ARC bar at a cost of about £1k for the part and the official LR fitting procedure is a body-off job at another 7 hours labour. An LR techie let slip to me though that the new part can be fitted without actually removing the body but just loosening a few things and lifting up the rear just enough to swop the bar over. Lucky you are still in the warranty period by the sound of it Thumbs Up 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #396769 Tue Oct 01 2013 2:34pm
hondagoneda

Cheers Paddi - thanks for the technical appraisal. It’s useful and concerning at the same time. I hope this is not a sign that mine has had a “harder than usual off road life". Even though the car is supposed to be designed to take some stick..
I will ask the tech at my dealer and see what he/they have to say about what was swapped out. However if it’s not that uncommon then as you say the part should have been made to be more resilient, and easier to fix.
And Yes – thankfully it was repaired under warentee and it still has about a year left to run SDV6 HSE, Indus Silver/Ebony

Post #396775 Tue Oct 01 2013 3:06pm
Bob.

United Kingdom 

Re comment above on need for a rubber boot on actuator.

This sectioned ARC actuator from a 2006 car shows a boot present. Certainly one is not fitted to my 2007 RRS so presumably it was dropped for a good technical reason, rather than just to make sure the units wear out more quickly Rolling Eyes

Post #396836 Tue Oct 01 2013 10:39pm
Beancounter_74

England 

That's not good to hear hondagoneda......sounds like the MY12 could be starting to exhibit the other traits of earlier RRS's Rolling Eyes

That LR R&D budget must be tiny for problems not to be cured in nearly 8 years of production Whistle ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #396853 Wed Oct 02 2013 9:14am
hondagoneda

Mmmmm, I hope not Big Cry

Here is a bit of feedback from the foreman at the dealership, in response to some questions asked - he said

The leak was from the active roll bar where the arm enters into the hydraulic body (very similar to a hydraulic ram).

The rear of the body is lifted approx. 25mm to aid replacement.

With regards to its use, I have seen Land Rover Experience vehicles (which spend 95% of their life off road) not suffer, then on the other hand I have experience of one failing with less mileage and only town driving. SDV6 HSE, Indus Silver/Ebony

Post #396880 Wed Oct 02 2013 2:34pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Mine started leaking at about 50k miles. Replaced under warranty. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #396907 Wed Oct 02 2013 5:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1