RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > High Beam Assist.... simply rubbish!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Dickie

United Kingdom 
High Beam Assist.... simply rubbish!!

Not yet had my Autobiography RRS a week and absolutely loving it. Such a different drive from my L405 and a pleasure on road. BUT, and this is no reliability gripe, this is simply one about the utterly useless High Beam Assist. It never works when you want it to, and effectively has a mind of its own when i comes to any sort of night driving. I'd even describe it as dangerous, I'm forever flashing oncoming traffic trying to turn it off when it's failed to detect an oncoming car.

Frustratingly it seems the only way to disable the system according to the manual is to switch off the auto lights (ie resorts back to manually turning on/off the lights when it gets dark). An easy solution but seems a bit crazy to have to take this retrograde to turn off the system. Anyone any suggestions? Can a dealer permanently disable it? Beginning to regret ordering an ATB with it as standard and wondered if I should have specc'd up a HSE-D.

Post #396710 Mon Sep 30 2013 9:07pm
SilverspeedRRS

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Sumatra Black

I have High Beam assist on my current RRS and my wife has it on her Evoque and it works extremely well. The only time I ever have to override it (by flicking the main beam stalk forward then back) is to stop blinding drivers on side roads or cross roads. I have specced it on my RRS2 its so good. Suggest you talk to your dealer about it as yours doesn't sound as though it's working correctly. On order Corris Grey New HSE 5+2 with Santorini contrast roof , ebony/cirrus interior and panoramic roof.

Post #396713 Mon Sep 30 2013 9:20pm
ravingmad

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

I think you can disable it in the menu on the dash.
Press the right hand button on the steering wheel and the option to turn it on or off is there. MY13.5 Autobiography, Santorini Black, Privacy Glass. Gone
Driving a milk float for now.

Post #396717 Mon Sep 30 2013 9:28pm
Dickie

United Kingdom 

Might have to have a chat with dealer then as it's been totally unacceptable so far.

I'll also have a look through the dash menu, thanks. Not had much of a chance to fiddle with it as yet and just did the un-male thing of reading the manual whilst the wife was driving the other day.

Post #396721 Mon Sep 30 2013 9:43pm
andman

Andorra 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

mine has worked remarkably well overall as well..... it's made a few mistakes but i'm always at the ready to tweak the stalk to disable it. on the odd occasion it gets it a little wrong......
Good enough that I have specked it on my new order...... 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's
2013 Porsche Boxster S 3.4
2014 Audi A3 S line Quattro
---------------------------------

Post #396727 Mon Sep 30 2013 10:44pm
bengunkel

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black
Re: High Beam Assist.... simply rubbish!!

Dickie wrote:

Frustratingly it seems the only way to disable the system according to the manual is to switch off the auto lights (ie resorts back to manually turning on/off the lights when it gets dark). An easy solution but seems a bit crazy to have to take this retrograde to turn off the system. Anyone any suggestions? Can a dealer permanently disable it? Beginning to regret ordering an ATB with it as standard and wondered if I should have specc'd up a HSE-D.

Can you not just go into the dash menu and turn it off? Can in mine....

That way you get to keep your auto lights on/off mode but disable the high beam assist.

Wink

Post #396864 Wed Oct 02 2013 11:06am
vicmoto

Spain 

I have cancelles the High Beam Assist from my configuration.... I hate paying for something that not works

Post #399387 Tue Oct 22 2013 5:11am
Zilch

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

I have High Beam annoy on my MY10, complete waste of space and agree with the original poster it borders
on dangerous at times, in particular on bends when it cannot pick up the oncoming headlights.. First thing
i do when it comes back from a service and had a system reset/battery disconnected, disable
the bloody thing Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

MY20 Defender 110 SE P400 Eiger/Ebony
MY10 3.0 RRS TDv6 Fuji/Ebony/Anigre

Post #399991 Sun Oct 27 2013 5:19am
flyfs6

HBA in my X5 was very good, but I didn't opt for it this time around because the driving conditions I go through don't require me to use high beams enough. We have this on the L405 and it works very well. I'm surprised it hasn't worked as well for you on the L494.

Post #400062 Sun Oct 27 2013 11:29am
mse

United Kingdom 

Hba was rubbish on all the ones I've ever seen it on, I would never pay to have it. Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #400070 Sun Oct 27 2013 11:48am
hornbaek

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Bonatti Grey

I think HBA in my RRS Aut SC works extremely well. This is actually one of the many features that i really would not like to be without.

Post #405929 Thu Dec 12 2013 9:04pm
Andrew

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Firenze Red

tried my hba today.. seemed to work very well, have got adaptive lights which may or may not make a difference, they do swivel about a lot more than on the old model... 5.0 Ltr Superchrged RRS2, Chile Red, Sideways out of junctions!
TDV8 HST Stornaway on a 08.. remapped.. now gone and replaced, was a mighty fine car..
4.2 SC First Edition when they first came out, quick car!

Post #405948 Thu Dec 12 2013 11:01pm
peanutbob

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Turned mine off! Going down dual carriageways with a central reservation, or a low hedge in the middle, full beam comes on, blinding the car in front especially as you start to overtake it. To be fair, this is mentioned in the manual.
Also, on bendy A roads, it will kick in as expected, but doesn't kick back off until the opposite car's headlights are visible, when you would do it yourself a second earlier to avoid dazzling the oncoming vehicle.

Post #405954 Thu Dec 12 2013 11:44pm
malcolmw

United Kingdom 

I had HBA equivalent on my last Mercedes. IMO it is useless for exactly the reason stated above - it is too slow to dip when oncoming vehicles are in view. Also, it reacts to highly reflective road signs by dipping the main beam just when you need to see past them. I didn't specify it on my RRS. Regards

Malcolm

Post #405975 Fri Dec 13 2013 9:44am
Tboner

England 

But if you have an L405 its the same system on the Sport and can be enabled and disabled in the same way and all the sensors are the same ? so you did not like it on your L405 either ? 2014 5.0SC AB

Gone 5.0 SC

Post #405980 Fri Dec 13 2013 10:24am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>