Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Faults & Fixes > Engine failure TDV6 2007 HSE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

tony46

United Kingdom 
Camshaft chain broken 2007

Gary wrote:
I thought that the Rear Belts needed to be changed at the same time as the Front, also I have heard from several sources that if the Rears do go, it shouldn't damage the valves. What exactly is the damage??
All belts changed, front and rear.
Camshaft chain inside rocker cover has snapped.
According to LR engine finished, wont rebuild.

Post #399680 Thu Oct 24 2013 4:02pm
MXSRR

England 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Sumatra Black

That really is bad news! I honestly do not know how you would go about a claim against the indy, but you should at the very least try by seeking some advice from CAB! Big Cry MY2007 RRS TDV8 Black - tinted glass - side steps- stormer grille - 20" diamond cut alloys - alpaca leather - TV/DVD pack - some blingy chrome bits & bob's

Post #399681 Thu Oct 24 2013 4:11pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
Re: Camshaft chain broken 2007

tony46 wrote:
Land Rover have presented a qualified engineers report for the failure, photos and text to back up the fault found. Indi is sending in their insurers to examine problem.

Still going to be a case of "he said, I said" between two engineers. I think the only way a court (or an insurer) would award either way is if a third party engineer got involved and agreed with one or other side.

The fact that LR's engineer says it's the fault of the other garage doesn't mean that it is.

It's likely to be a long process unless the insurers get scared by LR's report and decide to pay up "just in case". 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #399683 Thu Oct 24 2013 4:29pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

The CAB advised me to firstly seek an agreement with the other party and if that failed then employ a mediation service (list on the web) and only if that failed go to what is popularly called the 'small claims court' but is in fact the County Court. This is very inexpensive. The dealer settled at the first stage - didn't even need to go to mediation.

Obviously what we are all wondering is 'how do you fit an oil filter so badly it causes engine failure'. About the only thing they could do wrong is fit the filter upside down or fail to engage the spigot in the hole at the bottom of the filter casing.

This is a TDV8 filter but think the TDV6 uses the same one - the spigot can be clearly seen:

2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #399685 Thu Oct 24 2013 4:40pm
tony46

United Kingdom 
Camshaft chain broken 2007

Paddi, this what the dealer has found, that the spigot has not been engaged.

Post #399688 Thu Oct 24 2013 5:22pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Get in Surprised

So if the spigot is all mangled how is the independent going to explain that then?

For any of our members here thinking of doing their own oil changes don't let this put you off. On the contrary wouldn't you rather do it yourself than risk the spotty-faced apprentice cocking it up which is what probably happened here?

Push the oil filter into place and rotate it until you feel the spigot drop into the hole then give it a good downward push until you feel it click as the 'O' ring on the spigot pops into position. Then put the canister on with it's new 'O' ring and torque up. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #399692 Thu Oct 24 2013 5:51pm
jack508

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Luxury Java Black

Indi defo

Post #399701 Thu Oct 24 2013 7:15pm
tony46

United Kingdom 

Paddi, it all seems to be adding up now you have explained it. I had to go back three times within two weeks because there was oil all over my driveway and all around the bottom of the engine. I was told all three times that the oil seal was not sitting properly. He blamed the oil pump on the third occasion "which he fitted during the service" saying it was faulty, then told by another mechanic in the garage it was the oil seal again.

Post #399702 Thu Oct 24 2013 7:18pm
MXSRR

England 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Sumatra Black

Well it sounds that you now have grounds to prove the indy is liable for Censored your engine Thumbs Up MY2007 RRS TDV8 Black - tinted glass - side steps- stormer grille - 20" diamond cut alloys - alpaca leather - TV/DVD pack - some blingy chrome bits & bob's

Post #399706 Thu Oct 24 2013 8:07pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Not the clearest of pictures, but shows how an oil filter that has been fitted incorrectly looks after removal. I posted this on the D3 forum...

Quote:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/33455/normal_IMG_1687.jpg[/img]

It restricts oil flow to the top end of the engine, and also the piston cooling jets. If run for long enough, the top end overheats, and seizes up, and/or the piston overheats, and starts breaking up...

And when that happens, the inside of your sump fills with metal shrapnel, like this:

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #399716 Thu Oct 24 2013 8:48pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

With additional info coming out it seems like it might be an easier ride than I feared. Hope you get the correct outcome Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #399718 Thu Oct 24 2013 8:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12