RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Battery spec
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

sestorious

England 2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HST Santorini Black
Battery spec

I've had a new battery fitted today as I like to renew it before winter. The old battery was the original one that had a 90ah and 900cca. The new one has 110ah and 850cca. It's a Bosch one that was £130. Will the lower cca cause me any problems cos I thought the higher the cca the better for winter ? The garage said this new one will be better cos its brand new and has a higher ah ? Can anyone advise please ? Cheers

Post #396274 Thu Sep 26 2013 7:34pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

There is no doubt that a newer battery will perform more efficiently than a tired unit but essentially the battery they have supplied will not have the cranking power that a new like for like battery would supply.

The additional AH will give you fractionally longer usage but will not counter act the lower cca.

Personally I do not think that you'll have any problems but IMO the garage have blagged you a bit. 2011 Evoque Si4 Dynamic plus lux
2007 Audi TT 3.2 V6
2005 Sport Sc

Post #396317 Fri Sep 27 2013 10:14am
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

You might take this with a pinch of salt but my dealer (JLR Customer service) told be that the electronics of the alternator and the battery are closely matched.

The dealer replaced a non-standard battery for free !! and the alternator did expire, also replaced for free - so they did put their money on the line.

Given these alternators are costly and a pain to replace I'd stick tightly to the LR original spec Thumbs Up .

Post #396328 Fri Sep 27 2013 10:45am
mse

United Kingdom 

The bigger the battery, the more the alternator has to do.

The only time to get an uprated battery, would be if LR ran two sizes (they dont in the sport) and you had the smaller one...they used to do that, if you had say electric windscreen the battery would be bigger. Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #396329 Fri Sep 27 2013 10:49am
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Cold Cranking Amperage (CCA) is the battery's maximum output but there is a lot of confusion when comparing batteries because CCA can be rated either on the old SAE standard or the new modern EN standard which is much tougher so (to labour the point!) comparing CCA values can be misleading.

It is often said (including by myself) that a higher capacity battery puts more strain on the alternator because it is constantly trying to charge it up to the max but if you try to find evidence for that theory there isn't much.

Same applies to the 'its essential to use a LR battery' theory. It seems to me lots of our forum members here and over on the D3 site use other brands without any issues. It's probably one of those myths that arises because owners change a faulty battery and then have alternator failure shortly afterward and blame it on the battery. It could have just been chance or the alternator may have been failing and killed the previous battery. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #396340 Fri Sep 27 2013 11:50am
mse

United Kingdom 

Like you, I dont subscribe to the use an LR battery - same spec by other brands with different technology can be the same or better.

The load on the alternator (or mare accurately things like the diode packs) is real, i have seen (in the past) evidence

One problem is, the damage can often be reducing overall service life - which is a very difficult measure - but the manufactures will outline what the alternator can put out etc. Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #396345 Fri Sep 27 2013 12:52pm
sestorious

Thanks for the replies guys. I'd like to say I've not been blagged by the garage it's owned by my best mate ! I specifically told him I wanted best he could get from his supplier and that's wat they gave us ! They doubled checked it today as I was concerned and that exact battery is wat is stated for my vehicle infact slightly better a/h ! So hopefully I shouldn't notice any problems starting etc ?????

Post #396373 Fri Sep 27 2013 3:20pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Is it a Bosch S5?

According to EuroCarParts website costs £130 has 110 AH capacity and CCA of 920 so is actually better CCA than the original. Price is £130

To avoid upsetting site sponsor Advanced Motor Factors (again) I should point that he could probably have done you a better deal than your best mate Whistle 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #396388 Fri Sep 27 2013 4:15pm
sestorious

Hi it's a Bosch S5013 100a/h 830cca ! Thought it was 850cca but its 830cca ? If its wrong why is that the exact one the supplier has registered for my model ???

Post #396410 Fri Sep 27 2013 8:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1