RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Wheels and tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

steviemg

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Wheels and tyres

Sorry if i'm going over old ground but i wondered if anyone can advise on wheel/tyre selection.
i have an 09 HSE RRS. came with 275/40/20 tyres. I live on a farm and visit regularly rough terrain - building sites etc. not to mention the bucks roads which are full of potholes. as a result i get through 2-3 tyres a year and have had to replace all 4 wheels due to cracks, damaged rims etc. Two currently damaged and need replacing as leaking air.
So i'm thinking i have the wrong tyres/wheels.
can anyone recommend the ideal wheel/tyre set up? i think i need higher profile tyres but can't decipher the requirements in the handbook as it refers to different wheels then those that it came with??
thanks.

Post #410330 Mon Jan 20 2014 4:46pm
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

I think for the 2009 you can fit 18" wheels which will give you the opportunity to use 55 profile tyres.

Post #410337 Mon Jan 20 2014 5:16pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Land Rover's off-road wheels are the 19inch diameter Y-spoke ones. These should then have 255/50 tyres fitted. The usual tyres are called all-terrain and generally have a tarmac biased tread e.g. Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico.

You can get a more 50/50 all-terrain tyre such as the General Grabber AT in that size. Indeed, you can get the AT in 275/40/20 too but as you say that doesn't give as much sidewall depth. I've opted for 255/55/19 Grabber AT to give a bit more depth - this is the tyre size recommended for the Discovery 3.

There isn't much choice when it comes to a decent off road tyre for the Sport. The Grabber AT is well regarded, and some people fit Cooper's LTZ although I don't think that is available in the "correct" sizes for the RRS. If you want something more off-road then you're limited to the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac although again it's only available in 255/55/19.

It is possible to fit smaller wheels to the RRS depending on your front brakes (the calipers limit the wheel size). An 18inch rim is available from Compomotive but you need to modify the front caliper if you have Brembo front brakes. This will give a few more choices in tyre. If you don't have the bigger brakes then there was a LR 18in rim available too.

You should note that the more off-road biased tyres tend to have lower speed ratings but they also generally have higher load ratings. The Grabber AT is speed rated as H (130mph) and in /55 profile has a load rating of 111 (the minimum for 19in tyres on the RRS is 106).

If you can find some and don't mind the slightly wrong size, then the Pirelli Scorpion ATR in 255/55/19 is a tough tyre. Pirelli have decided that the UK isn't allowed that tyre anymore but there might still be some around. They are held in high regard by some members of our sister disco3 site. I had a set on for a while and they picked up some quite scary looking cuts on the sidewalls doing some off road work that the tyre fitters said were ok. They looked like they'd be write-offs but apparently were just surface scarring. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #410338 Mon Jan 20 2014 5:21pm
mark.b

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

have a look at general graber UHP tyres these are more road bias but very good off road too i have them on my discovery

Post #410349 Mon Jan 20 2014 6:13pm
steviemg

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
thanks

thanks for the detailed reply.
the 19" with grabber AT sounds like the solution.
Will check out costs!
cheers

Post #410470 Tue Jan 21 2014 1:11pm
winmar

Switzerland 

Would it be possible to fit Discovery 3 19inch nine spoke rims in 255/55/55 on a Range Rover Sport MY 2011? Have these as rims for the winter on our D3 and our looking to trade in on a RRS.

Post #462507 Wed May 20 2015 8:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1