RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 2012 RRS Front Stabilising (Anti-roll) bar bushes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Cymru001

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Stornoway Grey
2012 RRS Front Stabilising (Anti-roll) bar bushes

Good morning everyone Smile ,

I have done the usual and searched through the existing posts, but have not found anything which I can honestly say relates directly to my car.

As noted in the title, I have the 2012, face lifted, model. I also have the dreaded 'knock' when going over bumps. I appreciate the noise could be bushes and/ or the lower & upper wishbones, but I thought at £12 and what I read to be about an hour and a half, I thought I would give I would have a go at swapping out the bushes.

Well, after three hours of being on my back under the car, several coffees and an unimaginable amount of swearing Censored , I gave up Big Cry . My car has three bolts holding the clamping bracket in place (I've trawled YouTube and never found a video showing a car with three bolts) and on the left hand side, there is a drive shaft in the way!

My question to you all is - Has anyone managed to change the bushes themselves and how did you get the left hand side clamp off? Does the drive shaft need to come out or is there a work around? I tried every spanner I own and sockets, but couldn't get anything to fit. I did consider grinding down a socket but wasn't convinced I could get a ratchet/ bar on the socket!

Post #617299 Wed Sep 15 2021 9:10am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

You need a pair of these to make life easier. It's cars with Dynamic Response which have the three bolt brackets.

Could have a look at this, might help.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CzOJTVoPU...sp=sharing

Cheers
Col

Post #617302 Wed Sep 15 2021 10:24am
Seatown

Location: Moray - if you're a courier, yes it's mainland UK & no it's not in the Highlands

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey
Re: 2012 RRS Front Stabilising (Anti-roll) bar bushes

Cymru001 wrote:

My question to you all is - Has anyone managed to change the bushes themselves and how did you get the left hand side clamp off? Does the drive shaft need to come out or is there a work around? I tried every spanner I own and sockets, but couldn't get anything to fit. I did consider grinding down a socket but wasn't convinced I could get a ratchet/ bar on the socket!

I did mine last year and I ended up undoing the front of the front prop shaft (drive shaft you mentioned) and tied it up out of the way. To be honest if I did it again I'd undo the rear as well and remove the front prop completely as it gives better access but you probably have to remove the cross member to get it out fully.

If I recall correctly I used a flexi ring socket and ratchet ring spanners to gain access to the bolts. I actually found the right hand (drivers) side to be more of a pain access wise to finally get the clamp out due to the ARB pipework and various heatshields in the way.

The LR special tool would no doubt make things even easier but IIRC they're not cheap. 2010 TDV8 - current - my first RRS, loving it so far......
2005 Cayenne S - handling defied physics and what a sound, so sod the mpg!
1995 Disco TDI- surprisingly reliable, shame about the peeling dash & other trim
Lots of other non 4X4's in between times.........

Post #617461 Sun Sep 19 2021 12:54pm
Cymru001

Col wrote:
You need a pair of these to make life easier. It's cars with Dynamic Response which have the three bolt brackets.

Could have a look at this, might help.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CzOJTVoPU...sp=sharing

Cheers
Col

Thanks Colin - apologies for the delayed response, my laptop and internet had an argument and wouldn't play nicely with each other! Do you know if these can be hired anywhere? A lot of money for not a lot of use.

Post #617683 Sat Sep 25 2021 10:56am
Cymru001

Seatown wrote:
Cymru001 wrote:

I did mine last year and I ended up undoing the front of the front prop shaft (drive shaft you mentioned) and tied it up out of the way. To be honest if I did it again I'd undo the rear as well and remove the front prop completely as it gives better access but you probably have to remove the cross member to get it out fully.

If I recall correctly I used a flexi ring socket and ratchet ring spanners to gain access to the bolts. I actually found the right hand (drivers) side to be more of a pain access wise to finally get the clamp out due to the ARB pipework and various heatshields in the way.

The LR special tool would no doubt make things even easier but IIRC they're not cheap.

Hi Seatown,

I saw this after replying to Colin's message. If I am reading your response correctly, you didn't bother with the two special tools? Did you buy new bolts for the bush caps? Also, other than the removal of the prop, did you unbolt anything else?

Post #617684 Sat Sep 25 2021 11:06am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

One option would be to buy the tools, do the job then sell the tools on, that was my intension, I bought the bushes and tools but never did either and it's all collecting dust in the garage now as new front lower arms cured my problem. Rolling with laughter

Cheers
Col

Post #617685 Sat Sep 25 2021 11:39am
Cymru001

It's a pity you are in NZ or I may be interested in buying them from you. I'm hoping the noise is the bushes and not the lower arms Exclamation

Post #617688 Sat Sep 25 2021 12:47pm
insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Cymru001 wrote:
Do you know if these can be hired anywhere? A lot of money for not a lot of use.

I might be able to help here. I bought the tools and genuine bushes, bolts etc. to do the job but then the LR warranty changed their mind and agreed to do it so I have these unused parts and tools. I may or may not ever need the tools, and may be willing to loan you them. I'll PM you details,. 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Post #617704 Sun Sep 26 2021 10:21am
Seatown

Location: Moray - if you're a courier, yes it's mainland UK & no it's not in the Highlands

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Cymru001 wrote:

Hi Seatown,

I saw this after replying to Colin's message. If I am reading your response correctly, you didn't bother with the two special tools? Did you buy new bolts for the bush caps? Also, other than the removal of the prop, did you unbolt anything else?

Cymru001,

No I didn't use the tools as I couldn't find any at the time, but I would definitely do so in future. Yes I did use new bolts on the brackets, always a good idea!

IIRC I also removed an alloy heat shield (on the gearbox?) when tackling the RH bush as I couldn't get to remove the bracket with it in place. 2010 TDV8 - current - my first RRS, loving it so far......
2005 Cayenne S - handling defied physics and what a sound, so sod the mpg!
1995 Disco TDI- surprisingly reliable, shame about the peeling dash & other trim
Lots of other non 4X4's in between times.........

Post #617934 Wed Oct 06 2021 11:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1